Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counterpoint to Touring noise abatement: Where can I remove insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 02:23 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Counterpoint to Touring noise abatement: Where can I remove insulation?

As a counterpoint to the ongoing Touring thread discussing decreasing the noise on the interior, I am interested in doing the opposite. I would like to make my Touring louder on the interior without modifying the exhaust. Unotaz has mentioned that the R has 25 lbs less of sound insulation compared to the Touring. If that is the case, where is that insulation located? Is it spread throughout the car or are there one or two specific areas? Despite my (completely ignored) offers to meet up with a 991 R owner to compare the R with the Touring, I have never actually taken a ride in an R. I have only seen a handful at two Rare Shades. I have never seen one in the wild in LA. Then again, I have only seen two Tourings in the wild in LA.

One (now prior) Touring owner who has driven an R described it as having a Carrera-like chassis (less stiff than the GT3) but it is louder and overall more raucous than the GT3 (winged or Touring). I've said many times that I modeled my Touring after an R I saw at the first Rare Shades and I selected a color (light ivory) that was associated with the original 911 R. Even if my car is not an R, it is definitely an homage to the original R and the 991 R...with a better engine. If I could make my Touring louder on the interior by removing sound insulation, that would be a very good thing. Any input is much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Counterpoint to Touring noise abatement: Where can I remove insulation?