Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you drive your pdk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:08 PM
Faster48
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Manual always unless holding a coffee. Even on track I’ve always used manual. I should try auto just to see I Guess
Old 01-17-2022, 07:24 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by VanMcQueen
+1

Maybe a dumb question, but for those tracking their pdk cars, is it best to leave in auto and not manual shift mode around track? I’m curious why, does the car pick shift points better?
Not a dumb question, and possibly answered differently by others, but I drive in auto PDK on the track because at full throttle, the engine gets to redline so fast, that you end up stalling out at the over-rev limiter if you try to use manual mode. . . unless you are paying more attention to the revs of the engine than the turns and cars in front of you!
The following users liked this post:
RDCR (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 03:23 AM
VanMcQueen
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Not a dumb question, and possibly answered differently by others, but I drive in auto PDK on the track because at full throttle, the engine gets to redline so fast, that you end up stalling out at the over-rev limiter if you try to use manual mode. . . unless you are paying more attention to the revs of the engine than the turns and cars in front of you!
Thanks. I’ve driven manual the last (and my first) two DE events. I’ll give auto a go next time.

C’mon spring!!!
Old 01-18-2022, 11:53 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Same here. In addition to the above, the PDK will downshift engine brake sequentially down several gears into the high RPMs while you threshold brake at the end of a long straight. My mind just cannot conceive of downshifting into 8-9K rpm to engine brake, while PDK will happily and safely do so and continue to do so quickly automatically.

Last edited by Palting; 01-18-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:10 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 112 Posts

Last year I made a video while learning a new track with my GT3, using the PDK in auto mode with PDK Sport. The video shows pretty well how remarkably good the PDK is at giving you just the shifts you need - up or down, when you need them. In just this one fairly short lap, it shifts at least 20 times. I've always considered myself pretty handy with a manual transmission, and generally prefer them, but I know there's no way I could get around any track as quickly using manual mode compared to the genius of the PDK.

Quick Reply: How do you drive your pdk?