Sponsored by:

PCCB and limited track use

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 01:58 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Fake news! Not possible! You'll put your eye outttttttt!!!
Right? Hard to believe. It will soon be on its second set of hubs. And probably has gone through 10 or more sets of tires, easily.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:38 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

9,000 miles on my GT3 RS with PCCB. Maybe six track days. Five 20-min. sessions on 3 mile track (one 5-mile day), so about 1,000 track miles. Rotors definitely look a bit... used lol. At least compared to my previous GT3 which also had PCCB. Pads are at like 80%. At this point I'm just gonna stick with PCCB until they're toast.
The following users liked this post:
BLKMamba (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:28 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

We've sold a few sets of the Pagid RSC1 pads this year already for 991.1/.2 GT3's. Customers love them for the track. They are a more affordable option than the stock Porsche pads.

We instructed in a McLaren 620S with the RSC1's and were impressed with their performance on track.

Of course and iron conversion is always an option... Its good to have options!

Pagid RSC1 Specs:

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
Old 01-14-2022, 11:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I bought a CPO 991.1 RS that had exhausted its PCCB in 4,000 track miles, 5,000 total miles, but the original owner / driver was advanced. Advanced drivs are suposed to have PCCB checked after each track event, per PCNA. Novices have nothing to worry about.
Not necessarily.

Advanced drivers know how to use their brakes efficiently, so that they are not riding on them. They are on, and off them, unless trail braking.

Also, beginner drivers tend to trigger traction control more frequently, which is murder on the rear brakes (and pads).
Old 01-15-2022, 01:10 PM
BLKMamba
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 59 Posts

Just track the car as is. Those PCCBs are quite the experience at the track. You'll be fine.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:11 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Advanced drivs are suposed to have PCCB checked after each track event, per PCNA.
why not McLaren gets away with that.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:16 PM
modernyankee
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

Ive tracked a 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3, 991.2 GT3 and a 718 Spyder all with PCCB's with no appreciable rotor wear ... enjoy them in good health
I've run my PCCB's on my 718 Spyder at 13 track days and 1,372 track miles with 8,000 total miles on the car. Two weeks from now, I'm going to have the carbon content of my PCCB's re-measured to see how much life I've 'used up' in the past 1 year I've owned the car. I've prep'd a spreadsheet and will publish that once i have my measurements. FWIW: I know I'm very hard on brakes. Another Rennlist poster mentioned he had 3,000 track miles on his 981 GT4 w/ PCCB's and he's still on the original pads...but that he's a momentum driver and is always very easy on the brakes. I'm the other end of the spectrum. I went through my pads after less than 1,000 track miles w/ roughly 5,000 total miles on the car. He's worn through less than 15% of his PCCB life. I expect I'll be through at least double that....in just 13 track days. That scares me ($$$$$).
Would you mind sharing whatever data for number of track days, track miles and carbon content measurements from your PCCB's so we can get a more accurate assessment of the effective life span of the PCCB's? A reasonable self-assessment on braking style might be helpful as well.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:19 PM
modernyankee
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding
More data points:

my 2016 GT3 has 23k miles, and 60 ish track days. Original PCCB rotors are fine. I have a second set that is going on the car and we’re going to measure the carbon on this set soon.

Car was owned by a very talented, fast driver before me. He drives hard but isn’t abusive on brakes. Will be interesting to see where they are.

the set going on had 40k ish street miles and a few track days, and measured close to new.
I'll be very interested to see your data once you have the measurements done on your PCCB's. I'll publish my 718 Spyder PPCB measurements as soon as I have them (service date is 2/14/22 so posting should be shortly after that).
Old 01-25-2022, 11:52 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Hypothetically, let's say I end up getting fifty track days out of my PCCB rotors. And let's say I then spend $20K or whatever it is to replace them. 50 days x 4 sessions/day = 200 sessions. So $100/session in rotor costs.

Now my buddy in his Mustang GT only spends $800 replacing his steel rotors. But he replaces them every eight sessions. Yes, literally every track weekend he ruins a set of rotors. In fact he brings a new set with him in case he doesn't make it through all eight sessions. So he's spending $100/session in rotor costs, and of course he has to change out his rotors every freakin weekend. And he has to drive a Mustang GT and get lapped by me every session too.

PCCBs are expensive for sure, but it's not like that money is being completely wasted. You get a lot of value out of them.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:16 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

I've seen people selling sets of take off PCCB rotors here on Rennlist and other places with plenty of wear left in them for 10-12K. You've got Giros, AP Racing setups, ST and even Racing Brake (if you are bold) that are much cheaper alternatives to brand new PCCB rotors. If you wear out your PCCBs tracking the car move on with one of the great options that are out there. Tracking a car is a money pit no matter what you are running!

Old 01-25-2022, 05:10 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

It is interesting that one could get 50+ days out of a set of CCM rotors, because that is not our experience.

I was talking with Ken the other day who owns our company about when the PCCB's first came out in the early 2000's.

Ken has a lot of experience with the Carbon Ceramics. When the C6 ZR1 Corvette came out with Carbon Ceramic brakes we sold a boat load of pads for them. We found that as the carbon ceramic rotors wore, the disc material became more abrasive, and pad wear would go up dramatically towards the end of the rotors life.

Our experience is that with a good driver it is pretty ordinary to wear through a set of CCM rotors in 2-3 weekends. Towards the end of the CCM's life we had customers that would wear through a set of pads in one day due the abrasiveness of the "worn" carbon ceramic rotor. In the end we found it was best to use pads designed for the carbon ceramic rotors (factory pads, or Pagid RSC1 etc). Of course the most affordable solution is to do an iron conversion, which we have great success with Girodisc etc.

In the end all CCM rotors are designed by the same company in Germany, TMD, so the Corvette rotors are not necessarily that different than Porsche rotors because they are all designed by the same company. tmdfriction

Also, Porsche themself have said NOT to spec with CCM for track use: Porsche tech rep says CCM brakes are not best for track use

--Aaron

Last edited by KNSBrakes; 01-25-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:17 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
It is interesting that one could get 50+ days out of a set of CCM rotors, because that is not our experience.

I was talking with Ken the other day who owns our company about when the PCCB's first came out in the early 2000's.

Ken has a lot of experience with the Carbon Ceramics. When the C6 ZR1 Corvette came out with Carbon Ceramic brakes we sold a boat load of pads for them. We found that as the carbon ceramic rotors wore, the disc material became more abrasive, and pad wear would go up dramatically towards the end of the rotors life.

Our experience is that with a good driver it is pretty ordinary to wear through a set of CCM rotors in 2-3 weekends. Towards the end of the CCM's life we had customers that would wear through a set of pads in one day due the abrasiveness of the "worn" carbon ceramic rotor. In the end we found it was best to use pads designed for the carbon ceramic rotors (factory pads, or Pagid RSC1 etc). Of course the most affordable solution is to do an iron conversion, which we have great success with Girodisc etc.

In the end all CCM rotors are designed by the same company in Germany, TMD, so the Corvette rotors are not necessarily that different than Porsche rotors because they are all designed by the same company. tmdfriction

Also, Porsche themself have said NOT to spec with CCM for track use: Porsche tech rep says CCM brakes are not best for track use

--Aaron
I can't imagine the sort of driver it would take to burn through a set of PCCBs (pads and rotors) in 2-3 weekends.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 01-25-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:43 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I can't imagine the sort of driver it would take to burn through a set of PCCBs (pads and rotors) in 2-3 weekends.
Evidently a "good" one! I guess that doesn't apply to anybody I know tracking PCCBs. If we want to hear about corvettes running CCM brake systems back in 2000 let's just get RacingBrake back here posting.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
That would take an extreme driver and track (tracks can vary tremendously wrt brake stress).
Old 01-26-2022, 07:04 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

My old pccb car 2016 GT4 was driven by CJ and Matt Farrah before I owned it (who knows who else) - then I took the car to multiple track days probably 6 or so and numerous back road blasts. I guess I’m not a “good” driver. The wear was less than 50% I think around 70%+ life left. I wish I didn’t lose the paperwork but I provided it with the car when I sold it.

I do know I’m slow - but my experience has been that pccb is fine for moderate use.

I don’t deny that real hardcore track rats can and will use them up quick.

Quick Reply: PCCB and limited track use