NEED HELP...about to make a gt3rs purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 04:28 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow NEED HELP...about to make a gt3rs purchase

Hi guys.

I am currently in talks with an individual for a 2019 gt3rs with Weisbach and have negotiated it down to 215K but the ONLY downside is it has 36K miles. THe owner claims absolutely has not tracked the car but it has had 2 owners before

It is still under Porsche warranty until march of 2023 or 50K miles.

I do not personally mind the miles as i am going to be driving this bad boy and not just park it but im just worried about the high miles and any issues the car may have once the warranty expires. I live in Los Angeles so plenty of mechanics to go to but i dont want to have to spend an arm and a leg to repair.

What do you guys think? I need expert advice so i came to you guys. Thank you so so much.

PS...im 95% "yes" on buying but will love to hear from you geniuses
Old 12-02-2021, 04:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by JustaBug
Hi guys.

I am currently in talks with an individual for a 2019 gt3rs with Weisbach and have negotiated it down to 215K but the ONLY downside is it has 36K miles. THe owner claims absolutely has not tracked the car but it has had 2 owners before

I do not personally mind the miles as i am going to be driving this bad boy and not just park it but im just worried about the high miles and any issues the car may have once the warranty expires. I live in Los Angeles so plenty of mechanics to go to but i dont want to have to spend an arm and a leg to repair.

What do you guys think? I need expert advice so i came to you guys. Thank you so so much.

its "Weissach" BTW...

you still have 15 months and 12k of warranty - if you had a friendly (ha!) captive dealership you could ask if they would (courtesy - for a price) CPO the car ... but of course you should get a PPI from a reliable Porsche mech prior to purchase.

net/net unless there is something obvious or a PPI turns up some skeletons in the closet - you are good to go IMO
The following users liked this post:
JustaBug (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 05:19 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 708 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by JustaBug
Hi guys.

It's a 911, it's going to be fine.

Use it as an opportunity to be the first to take a 991.2 to 100k
JustaBug (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 05:21 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Some pictures see if we approve of your purchase, otherwise go for it, sounds good.
JustaBug (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Have you had a PPI done? Three owners and 36k miles on the clock in 2-3 years, I'd definitely do a PPI before I bought it. If it has PCCBs, make sure a Porsche dealer checks out the rotors for you.
JustaBug (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 06:45 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its "Weissach" BTW...

you still have 15 months and 12k of warranty - if you had a friendly (ha!) captive dealership you could ask if they would (courtesy - for a price) CPO the car ... but of course you should get a PPI from a reliable Porsche mech prior to purchase.

net/net unless there is something obvious or a PPI turns up some skeletons in the closet - you are good to go IMO
thanks...yes definitely need to get a PPI done but dont know anyone out in Florida. If anyone knows someone they trust in Florida i would like to use them for a PPI. Yea i will be asking a few SA ive have been bugging in the past and maybe one will be nice enough to help set it up for future 992 gt3rs purchase

Originally Posted by itrsteve
It's a 911, it's going to be fine.

Use it as an opportunity to be the first to take a 991.2 to 100k
lol def will if i keep it for 5 years

Originally Posted by Franko T
Some pictures see if we approve of your purchase, otherwise go for it, sounds good.
in process of getting clean pics

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Have you had a PPI done? Three owners and 36k miles on the clock in 2-3 years, I'd definitely do a PPI before I bought it. If it has PCCBs, make sure a Porsche dealer checks out the rotors for you.
Yes it does have PCCBs. Ok thanks now i MUST look for someone in the area to do it. THe problem is im in los angeles and the car in florida
Old 12-02-2021, 07:28 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Agree with above. You already know that is high mileage for this type of car. Not saying that equals some type of issue per se but that car will always be well above the curve in the market regarding its mileage. For some that is irrelevant and instead an opportunity to jump into a car for less. Only you know what's best for you and how you want to spend $230K w/tax on a car with 36k miles. As for costs and future repairs, that's where your current due diligence comes into play. It's been mentioned, but definitely check the brakes, tires, fluids, and I would ensure it's up to its recommended 40k service. Reliability is solid on these cars and annual service costs, assuming no track time, are lower than its peers. You can also pay for an extended warranty (must be prior to the expiration of the current) if you need that peace of mind. Also agree with PPI, the WP cars have many carbon fiber parts and suspension components that should be inspected. You should ask a local Porsche mechanic about this and determine what the wear tolerances are. Good luck!
JustaBug (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 07:39 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

With a clean PPI, I'd buy it in a second. These cars are great. For most 911 variants 36K miles would be meaningless. The GT cars however are all too often treated like Ferraris. Mine has 15K on it and is still like new.
The following 2 users liked this post by tstafford:
bogey1 (12-02-2021), JustaBug (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 07:47 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Thank you guys for the feedback. Definitely will be trying to locate a porsche mechanic in the area to go check it out. Its just a great price for a .2 that is making it hard to pass on, especially with the WP
Old 12-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

I would only consider this if 1) it’s a forever car, 2) its at uppermost edge of your budget, and 3) it has a spotless PPI. There are 36K reasons that car has been available for some time as most $200K+ buyers are willing to spend $30K more for a 1 owner, 5-10K mi example. So the price of entry is modestly lower but you will get killed on resale and the pool of buyers willing to pay good money for a 50+K mile 3RS 3 yrs from now will be (very) small, imo.

Last edited by Fang911; 12-02-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:24 AM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fang911
I would only consider this if 1) it’s a forever car, 2) its at uppermost edge of your budget, and 3) it has a spotless PPI. There are 36K reasons that car has been available for some time as most $200K+ buyers are willing to spend $30K more for a 1 owner, 5-10K mi example. So the price of entry is modestly lower but you will get killed on resale and the pool of buyers willing to pay good money for a 50+K mile 3RS 3 yrs from now will be (very) small, imo.
with WP cheapest I found was around 275k
Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Gents- its easy to say to the OP “yea, pull the trigger if the ppi is ok”…the real question is would you all spend your own $215K on this vs spending more for a 5K mile, one-owner no issues car? If a bunch of people agreed this is such a “deal” it would have sold a long time ago-
Old 12-03-2021, 10:36 AM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fang911
Gents- its easy to say to the OP “yea, pull the trigger if the ppi is ok”…the real question is would you all spend your own $215K on this vs spending more for a 5K mile, one-owner no issues car? If a bunch of people agreed this is such a “deal” it would have sold a long time ago-
so would you give little weight to WP?

like 215 with WP but high miles

vs 245 without WP but 5k miles

its not the 30k difference I care about it’s actually more of a 60k diff for the next WP car. Or do I say screw WP and get one without with less miles?
Old 12-03-2021, 11:56 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

OP - I believe your initial line of questions more centered around reliability and costs with a higher mileage car. If it were instead, would you pay X for a unit with Y mileage in this market, maybe a little different response. It really boils down to what is most important to you - it is your money and your experience expectations. In general I do believe you will find 911's to be well made across the various models, including the GT cars. These are very solid cars. Nevertheless, back to the hypothetical question above, For many the approach for cars in this range (e.g. newer cars) is to find the lowest mile best condition within X budget. This is likely more prevalent for weekend users who don't put a lot of "daily" miles on, as 36k would = 15 years of ownership. And some others buy them to drive em. Depending on your location and weather could be year round fun. Regarding WP yes/no - this like everything else is so subjective and personal. As a daily fun toy, not heavy track use, I wouldn't put any extra emphasis here as a must have. However, some really like the look of the exposed carbon and various suspension upgrades, etc. You get the seat stitching too. If that look is a must have you know your path. Otherwise, I believe your driving experience wouldn't be diminished without it, especially not on the street.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:15 PM
mnawa
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

no

Quick Reply: NEED HELP...about to make a gt3rs purchase