Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP...about to make a gt3rs purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 101 Posts

If you plan on driving the car into the ground, then probably the starting mileage is irrelevant.

At the same time, 36 000 miles in probably less than 2 years is a lot of miles on any car. Sports cars tend to be heavily penalized on mileage.

Based on 'guidelines', Oil change every 6000 miles or yearly, Spark plugs every 12000 miles or 2 years, and drivebelt at 24000 miles. At 48000 miles PDK fluid and throttle body. Thus, if the car has had 5-6 oil changes, and 3 sets of spark plugs done, along with drive belt changed, then I would think it has been 'properly maintained'. If not, Porsche can always refute any warrantee claims.

Personally, I am not sure I would spend >200K on a 2 year old car with almost 40K miles on it.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:26 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
If you plan on driving the car into the ground, then probably the starting mileage is irrelevant.

At the same time, 36 000 miles in probably less than 2 years is a lot of miles on any car. Sports cars tend to be heavily penalized on mileage.

Based on 'guidelines', Oil change every 6000 miles or yearly, Spark plugs every 12000 miles or 2 years, and drivebelt at 24000 miles. At 48000 miles PDK fluid and throttle body. Thus, if the car has had 5-6 oil changes, and 3 sets of spark plugs done, along with drive belt changed, then I would think it has been 'properly maintained'. If not, Porsche can always refute any warrantee claims.

Personally, I am not sure I would spend >200K on a 2 year old car with almost 40K miles on it.
thank you and the post above yours.

yes you are right all I care about is reliability, not so much miles. It’s a car and I’m gonna be driving it…I don’t believe in the “weekender” car. If you have it and wanna drive it then drive it and enjoy it. That’s why I care more for reliability and maintenance post warranty. For example, I would prefer to be the 3 or 4th owner on a higher mile car (like this) rather than 2nd owner with low miles. Becuase after I’m done with the car it will have high miles and already 2 owners. So for those of you caring about my resell value (which I don’t care about) I think i will lose more $$ puttin a lot of miles on a low mileage car then buying one that has already depreciated to begin with.

I really really just want to make sure it’s 1. Considered reliable 2. Hopefully can get porsches extended warranty on it.

I maintain my cars well but I drive heck out of them. I just don’t wanna have to end up spending 20k to replace something in 2 years
Old 12-03-2021, 02:46 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

See if you can get it CPO'd to add two years of warranty and then drive the hell out of it. You won't lose hardly anything even if you rack up some miles. It's already going to be one of the cheapest WP 3RS cars anywhere when you're ready to sell. There will always be a buyer that doesn't care about mileage and wants in at the cheapest price.

I would also make your decision quickly before someone snipes it from you.

Last edited by dgoldenz; 12-03-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:50 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
See if you can get it CPO'd to add two years of warranty and then drive the hell out of it. You won't lose hardly anything even if you rack up some miles. It's already going to be one of the cheapest WP 3RS cars anywhere when you're ready to sell. There will always be a buyer that doesn't care about mileage and wants in at the cheapest price.

I would also make your decision quickly before someone snipes it from you.
thank you. Scheduling a ppi as we speak
Old 12-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JustaBug

yes you are right all I care about is reliability, not so much miles. It’s a car and I’m gonna be driving it…I don’t believe in the “weekender” car. If you have it and wanna drive it then drive it and enjoy it. That’s why I care more for reliability and maintenance post warranty. For example, I would prefer to be the 3 or 4th owner on a higher mile car (like this) rather than 2nd owner with low miles. Becuase after I’m done with the car it will have high miles and already 2 owners. So for those of you caring about my resell value (which I don’t care about) I think i will lose more $$ puttin a lot of miles on a low mileage car then buying one that has already depreciated to begin with.

I really really just want to make sure it’s 1. Considered reliable 2. Hopefully can get porsches extended warranty on it.

I maintain my cars well but I drive heck out of them. I just don’t wanna have to end up spending 20k to replace something in 2 years
if the mileage itself and resale are irrelevant, then go for it. But you also mention reliability and possible CPO. IMO thats where the multiple owners, high mileage, unknown service history, unknown track history (prior to the the current owner) make it a crapshoot. And unless the service history can be documented, it would seem highly unlikely a dealer can/will CPO it.

I would also disagree with your statement that a 3 owner 40K mile car with all of these unknowns could ever be “better” or preferable to a single owner 5K mile car bought new-

Last edited by Fang911; 12-03-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:29 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fang911
if the mileage itself and resale are irrelevant, then go for it. But you also mention reliability and possible CPO. IMO thats where the multiple owners, high mileage, unknown service history, unknown track history (prior to the the current owner) make it a crapshoot. And unless the service history can be documented, it would seem highly unlikely a dealer can/will CPO it.

I would also disagree with your statement that a 3 owner 40K mile car with all of these unknowns could be ever be “better” or preferable to a single owner 5K mile car bought new-
yes your right single owner with 5k is much better but is it $50k better? I’m just saying because i know I’m gonna drive over 7k per year so I buy a 5k car and it has around 30k in 3 years from now vs 65k miles.

so it seems I shouldn’t buy it? Should I cancel the ppi and just say no?
Old 12-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

yes your right single owner with 5k is much better but is it $50k better? I’m just saying because i know I’m gonna drive over 7k per year so I buy a 5k car and it has around 30k in 3 years from now vs 65k miles.

so it seems I shouldn’t buy it? Should I cancel the ppi and just say no?
No, unless the PPI shows up some serious issues that were not already disclosed... I think you have found a good compromise between mileage and price that will meet your DD usage

dont you think that buying a 5k car and putting 30k miles on it and selling it you will depreciate more than a 65k car will? - crap shoot

as for the "high" mileage and multi-owners, the multi-owner part is not uncmmon with GT cars, esp RS because people buy it and then learn they cannot live with it, and as for the mileage
I guess you are not the only person who will DD a car like this...

BTW I assume the car has the Mg wheels (or not)?

Last edited by Larry Cable; 12-03-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:14 PM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
No, unless the PPI shows up some serious issues that were not already disclosed... I think you have found a good compromise between mileage and price that will meet your DD usage

dont you think that buying a 5k car and putting 30k miles on it and selling it you will depreciate more than a 65k car will? - crap shoot

as for the "high" mileage and multi-owners, the multi-owner part is not uncmmon with GT cars, esp RS because people buy it and then learn they cannot live with it, and as for the mileage
I guess you are not the only person who will DD a car like this...

BTW I assume the car has the Mg wheels (or not)?
they are these

https://www.championmotorsport.com/p...p/cms-rs74.htm

Old 12-03-2021, 06:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

what happened to the OEM wheels that the car was delivered with?
Old 12-03-2021, 06:37 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
what happened to the OEM wheels that the car was delivered with?
Ha, I was just going to ask that. The Mg wheels themselves are worth over $25K (I think it was a $13K option), and the regular ones around 10K.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deven
Ha, I was just going to ask that. The Mg wheels themselves are worth over $25K (I think it was a $13K option), and the regular ones around 10K.
yeah that's my recollection also - I'd certainly want to see the Moroney sticker to determine if the Mg wheels were spec'ed or not.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:52 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 577 Posts

your logic/explanation for buying the car can be switched around
you are concerned about potentially spending 20 k in 2 years for repairs, this tells me that you have some concern reference cost/money
so buying a high mileage GT3RS in this market , will carry a higher penalty at time of sale when market returns to normal because of the mileage
you are going to get a big hit in couple of years selling a GT3RS with 55k miles ..... probably the car will be worth below 150 k on trade in
so if you can stomach/afford such a hit go for it
I will give you a personal example
I bought a .2 GT3RS WP 2019 delivered in January 2019. MSRP was 224 k , I sold it October 2019 for 195 K with 1024 miles on the car and that was the highest bid out of three bids, lowest was 176 k
so that is a reflection of normal markets
Unfortunately Porsche GT cars have recently been looked at from a different perspective meaning that some people are looking at them as collectables and thus became very sensitive to mileage
some people on this forum will criticize this and go on and on that these cars are meant to be driven etc.
but the GT market is determined by the perceptions of all buyers not some buyer
Old 12-03-2021, 10:24 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Hey OP... did you check out the chalk 991.2RS for sale here on RL at $254k w/3,300 miles? This is a price jump I would seriously consider in your situation. Original owner and barely used. No WP, however, it has all the great options and tasteful mods. In addition, you could fly to Vegas and drive it home easily. I would compare items like the clear bra and the enclosed shipping expense from FL to CA as well.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:19 AM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Hey OP... did you check out the chalk 991.2RS for sale here on RL at $254k w/3,300 miles? This is a price jump I would seriously consider in your situation. Original owner and barely used. No WP, however, it has all the great options and tasteful mods. In addition, you could fly to Vegas and drive it home easily. I would compare items like the clear bra and the enclosed shipping expense from FL to CA as well.
so I took all your advice and decided not to do it.

a few reasons…first of all of course everyone cares about cost/benefit analysis. I didn’t want to spend money on repairs and worries with mechanics and what not.

the car was a 236k msrp with full ppf and ceramic

https://www.chicagomotorcars.com/201...74s-c-6265.htm

this is the car. But that was an older listing but has more info on the car.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:26 AM
JustaBug
Track Day

Originally Posted by pitt911
your logic/explanation for buying the car can be switched around
you are concerned about potentially spending 20 k in 2 years for repairs, this tells me that you have some concern reference cost/money
so buying a high mileage GT3RS in this market , will carry a higher penalty at time of sale when market returns to normal because of the mileage
you are going to get a big hit in couple of years selling a GT3RS with 55k miles ..... probably the car will be worth below 150 k on trade in
so if you can stomach/afford such a hit go for it
I will give you a personal example
I bought a .2 GT3RS WP 2019 delivered in January 2019. MSRP was 224 k , I sold it October 2019 for 195 K with 1024 miles on the car and that was the highest bid out of three bids, lowest was 176 k
so that is a reflection of normal markets
Unfortunately Porsche GT cars have recently been looked at from a different perspective meaning that some people are looking at them as collectables and thus became very sensitive to mileage
some people on this forum will criticize this and go on and on that these cars are meant to be driven etc.
but the GT market is determined by the perceptions of all buyers not some buyer
thank you for the info. Yes I agree gt cars shouldn’t be daily driven but also not a park it and forget it either.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP...about to make a gt3rs purchase