Sponsored by:

2015 991.1 gt3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 05:49 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2015 991.1 gt3 questions

In manual mode, I know the pdk will take you from gear 7 to gear 1 if you come to a complete stop. What happens if you are in manual and you take it to redline and do NOT shift up, will it step in and upshift to save you a dme over rev?

Also, when I'm going down the road at say 50 mph in automatic mode the car will be in 7th gear. When I punch it, it drops to second gear slams you in the seat and is freaking awesome. Using the exact same scenario in pdk sport mode, the car at 50 mph holds me in 4th gear. When I punch it, the response is nothing compared to when I'm in non sport mode. The downshifts in this mode are louder and more impressive, but the kick you back in your seat is not there in plus mode. Why would anyone on the track use sport pdk button? I know the intent is to keep your rpm's up, but as it does that when you are ready to punch it say exiting the apex, it pulls much slower than in full blown automatic non sport pdk mode. What am I missing?? And I hope this makes sense, I can be confusing at times!!

Last edited by gt3fast; 10-10-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I don’t “punch it” at the track. Track driving is all about “smooth”. Gives you much better lap times. In your exit scenario, I’m modulating the gas pedal and possibly throttle steering around the apex and then smoothly applying throttle to track out at the exit. PDK in sport mode is right there with me keeping it smooth and at optimal RPM. I have a 991.2, but should be the same for n a 991.1
Old 10-10-2021, 06:20 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Agree, as someone with maybe 20 track days, the word punch was incorrect. But as going to full throttle relatively quickly, it appears non sport mode reacts quicker. I just dug out my excellence magazine where Mark Donahue did a drive review. He stated to just leave the car in auto, as it intuitively knows what you are doing and will in fact keep your rev's up. I haven't tracked yet, so this is new to me. He also stated pdk sport button was best for learning the track and keeping your rev's up. So as you are learning, you aren't in seventh gear, when sport would have you closer to third.

What happens at full throttle if you do not manually use the paddle to grab the next gear? I would assume it shifts for you to save your A**?

Old 10-10-2021, 06:25 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3fast
Agree, as someone with maybe 20 track days, the word punch was incorrect. But as going to full throttle relatively quickly, it appears non sport mode reacts quicker. I just dug out my excellence magazine where Mark Donahue did a drive review. He stated to just leave the car in auto, as it intuitively knows what you are doing and will in fact keep your rev's up. I haven't tracked yet, so this is new to me. He also stated pdk sport button was best for learning the track and keeping your rev's up. So as you are learning, you aren't in seventh gear, when sport would have you closer to third.

What happens at full throttle if you do not manually use the paddle to grab the next gear? I would assume it shifts for you to save your A**?

it won’t shift, it will hit the rev limiter, though. I have four track days on my new to me 2016 GT3, I use sport mode which seems to be the better map, higher shift points and goes to the redline. Eventually I’ll get to using manual mode as I get to know the car. Overall, I think you could use either mode on the track because the transmission is so well programmed. Somewhat personal preference and whether you want it to short shift.

Last edited by dsteding; 10-10-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Lol. I don’t know if it will upshift to save your A** or not on manual as I usually leave it on full auto sport at the track. I will occasionally use the paddles to force a downshift or upshift just for fun, but when I’m seriously attacking the track I leave it full auto and concentrate on braking points, brake and throttle steering and just leave the pdk to do its thing. Keep going to the track with your beast and you’ll appreciate just how perfect pdk on auto sport is for the track. It is for me. Use the kick in the butt downshift lurch in standard mode for straight canyon roads.

Last edited by Palting; 10-10-2021 at 06:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dumpspec (10-13-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 03:46 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

So if it doesn't shift for you at redline, the rev limiter will kick in and make the engine sputter like a manual? So I assume that would show up on a dme report? Sorry for all the questions, just curious, without wanting to cause any damage.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:24 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Manual is exactly what it's called. You'll bounce off the rev-limiter continually until you shift it up. Bouncing off the rev limiter may show up on a DME report but with pdk nobody cares.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 12:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

What happens if you are in manual and you take it to redline and do NOT shift up, will it step in and upshift to save you a dme over rev?
You'll just bounce off the rev limiter. Might register as a small over-rev. Maybe Stage 1/2. But it's fine.

Also, when I'm going down the road at say 50 mph in automatic mode the car will be in 7th gear. When I punch it, it drops to second gear slams you in the seat and is freaking awesome. Using the exact same scenario in pdk sport mode, the car at 50 mph holds me in 4th gear.
My car doesn't do this. Even in Sport, if you're putzing around town at 50mph, even in a low gear, once you start to maintain a constant speed, it will upshift to 7. If you then floor it, it will kick down to 2nd or whatever the corresponding gear is to your speed. But... I don't think I've tried comparing sport vs normal in terms of kick-down response. But I'll try it.

When I punch it, the response is nothing compared to when I'm in non sport mode.
I'll try comparing the two. But... in my car the kickdown when I floor it from 7 on the highway in Sport mode is fantastic (I basically always drive in sport).
Old 10-12-2021, 12:12 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Mine is a .2 RS, so maybe different programming, but...

What happens if you are in manual and you take it to redline and do NOT shift up, will it step in and upshift to save you a dme over rev?
You'll just bounce off the rev limiter. Might register as a small over-rev. Maybe Stage 1/2. But it's fine.

Also, when I'm going down the road at say 50 mph in automatic mode the car will be in 7th gear. When I punch it, it drops to second gear slams you in the seat and is freaking awesome. Using the exact same scenario in pdk sport mode, the car at 50 mph holds me in 4th gear.
My car doesn't do this. Even in Sport, if you're putzing around town at 50mph, even in a low gear, once you start to maintain a constant speed, it will upshift to 7. If you then floor it, it will kick down to 2nd or whatever the corresponding gear is to your speed. But... I don't think I've tried comparing sport vs normal in terms of kick-down response. But I'll try it.

When I punch it, the response is nothing compared to when I'm in non sport mode.
I'll try comparing the two. But... in my car the kickdown when I floor it from 7 on the highway in Sport mode is fantastic (I basically always drive in sport).
Old 10-12-2021, 09:28 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

I noticed this as well. Stays in fourth in sport. I am pretty sure that on the test drive I was in sport and it kicked down. It was in for service, I wonder if something was update??? I am heading to the track this weekend and we shall see...
Old 10-12-2021, 09:39 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster997
I noticed this as well. Stays in fourth in sport. I am pretty sure that on the test drive I was in sport and it kicked down. It was in for service, I wonder if something was update??? I am heading to the track this weekend and we shall see...
PDK/S behavior very much dependent on jape you have been driving it recently. If it's been gentle driving in traffic then it will be gentle and shift up early. If it's been driven like a raped ape then it will shift accordingly. Nothing to do with any recent software updates.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:44 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Originally Posted by catdog2
PDK/S behavior very much dependent on jape you have been driving it recently. If it's been gentle driving in traffic then it will be gentle and shift up early. If it's been driven like a raped ape then it will shift accordingly. Nothing to do with any recent software updates.
lol, is the raped ape only in sport pdk mode? Or is it a raped ape also in normal? I read that sport will determine from your behavior if you're in rape mode, but the article didn't state whether it would in normal. At least that's what I recall.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:27 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rickster997
Yes, please keep us posted!!

Quick Reply: 2015 991.1 gt3 questions