GT3 Touring random gas/power cutouts at 8,500rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 02:53 PM
lindstroem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Touring random gas/power cutouts at 8,500rpm

Hey everyone,

mostly silent reader here, enjoyed the knowledge of the community a lot so far. I'm driving a 991.2 GT3 Touring and have recently had a sporadically appearing random problem in 3rd and 4th gear. At maximum acceleration, the car cuts the power at around 8500rpm, as if it was hitting the rev limiter, but not at the same high frequency as the rev limiter. There is plenty of room until 9000. It happened once on the autobahn in 4th gear and now over a trackday weekend two times in 3rd. The remaining 400 track kilometers it was totally fine and rev'd to 9000rpm no problem each time. The porsche technician on site (it happened to be a porsche event) tested the car and no error readouts. The car has received a new oil tank and pipe after suffering from an oil leak not long ago, and I hadn't noticed this problem occur before. I've put 23k km on the car so far without any other problems and a balanced usage between track, long distance and mountain roads. Maybe somebody has had the same problem occur or has any leads? Many thanks!
Old 10-04-2021, 05:30 PM
GT3PDL
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Does it happen every time you rev it out or randomly. My father-in-law had a similar random miss fire on his .2 RS, it didn't throw codes, and was very challenging to diagnose. It ended up being the cam speed sensor, but that resolved his issue., could be something similar. On a side note, have you ever changed your plugs?
The following users liked this post:
rosenbergendo (10-11-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 05:35 PM
lindstroem
Track Day

Originally Posted by GT3PDL
Does it happen every time you rev it out or randomly. My father-in-law had a similar random miss fire on his .2 RS, it didn't throw codes, and was very challenging to diagnose. It ended up being the cam speed sensor, but that resolved his issue., could be something similar. On a side note, have you ever changed your plugs?
super randomly and rarely. Was a heavy track weekend with two long days so the car was properly used throughout and rev'd to 9000 each time except the 2 times that problem occurred at 8500. The 4th gear incident was on the autobahn and I did rev it out fine for the rest of the day to 9000. I've checked my service documents and my local dealership didn't change the plugs during the last service. I had thought about that too and might just do that to see if it fixes the problem. Have another track day upcoming weekend to see if the problem persists.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:57 PM
lindstroem
Track Day

I was able to reproduce the problem on video, to show the local dealership to which I'll be taking it in to diagnose.
For anyone interested I've uploaded three videos below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8iy8giij4...MV4Q7VPna?dl=0

the first one features the problem at the very end, you can see and hear it very well how it cuts / stutters at the end of 3rd until I shift into 4th. While the problem happens I'm doing nothing but having my foot floored on the accelerator.
This video is the first time revving it out to redline after driving it out to the motorway, first 3rd gear pull is fine, the second is when it happens.
The other 2 videos are taken after that where it revs out with no problems at all.
It's strange that it seems to happen at the beginning of driving it hard, but once it happens once or twice, it doesn't seem to reappear until you stop the car and go again later (it was like that on track, always happened at the beginning of stints, once or twice, and then it was fine for the rest of the stint and happy to rev to 9000). Car is always properly warmed up, never rev my cars above 3000rpm until they are at 90° oil temp, the video was taken after driving 30 mins out to the motorway. Also it seems to never happen in 1st or 2nd, and less in 4th. Mainly in 3rd. Today I was only able to reproduce the problem once (and will stop now from driving until it's at the dealership).
Anyone any ideas or pointers?
Old 10-11-2021, 02:12 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by lindstroem
I was able to reproduce the problem on video, to show the local dealership to which I'll be taking it in to diagnose.
For anyone interested I've uploaded three videos below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8iy8giij4...MV4Q7VPna?dl=0

the first one features the problem at the very end, you can see and hear it very well how it cuts / stutters at the end of 3rd until I shift into 4th. While the problem happens I'm doing nothing but having my foot floored on the accelerator.
This video is the first time revving it out to redline after driving it out to the motorway, first 3rd gear pull is fine, the second is when it happens.
The other 2 videos are taken after that where it revs out with no problems at all.
It's strange that it seems to happen at the beginning of driving it hard, but once it happens once or twice, it doesn't seem to reappear until you stop the car and go again later (it was like that on track, always happened at the beginning of stints, once or twice, and then it was fine for the rest of the stint and happy to rev to 9000). Car is always properly warmed up, never rev my cars above 3000rpm until they are at 90° oil temp, the video was taken after driving 30 mins out to the motorway. Also it seems to never happen in 1st or 2nd, and less in 4th. Mainly in 3rd. Today I was only able to reproduce the problem once (and will stop now from driving until it's at the dealership).
Anyone any ideas or pointers?
Interesting. I'm no mechanic but I'll throw a random guess into the ring and say carbon fouling, which gets burned off in the high RPM's and is fine afterwards. Looking forward to what the shop finds.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:14 PM
lindstroem
Track Day

Originally Posted by rob944s2
Interesting. I'm no mechanic but I'll throw a random guess into the ring and say carbon fouling, which gets burned off in the high RPM's and is fine afterwards. Looking forward to what the shop finds.
Interesting take – but would that not also happen in 1st or 2nd? And also, why does it restart after a break between stints and happens again?
As the car was in the shop for oil tank replacement they had to take the engine out, and it only started happening since then. Was fine 20k km before that.

Last edited by lindstroem; 10-11-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:51 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3PDL
exact same problem on my .2 RS and was diagnosed and fixed with exact same thing-cam speed sensor.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:53 PM
lindstroem
Track Day

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
exact same problem on my .2 RS and was diagnosed and fixed with exact same thing-cam speed sensor.
did it sound / manifest itself like in the video link I posted? They are almost the same engine.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:08 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by lindstroem
did it sound / manifest itself like in the video link I posted? They are almost the same engine.
very very similar.
hard to reproduce and not predictable.
willing to bet its the same issue.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:26 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

how much $?
Old 10-12-2021, 08:04 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by DK7
how much $?
warranty. no idea.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:04 AM
lindstroem
Track Day

very very similar.
hard to reproduce and not predictable.
willing to bet its the same issue.
Thanks! I've forwarded the videos to my local dealership alongside a note suggesting to look into that.
Taking the car in thursday and will know more then.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

news?
Old 10-21-2021, 01:02 PM
lindstroem
Track Day

Originally Posted by DK7
news?
Not yet. The car had the same error message about a faulty knock sensor stored again, which it had shown on the track at porsche leipzig as well, which the technician on site had since deleted that day.
Meaning it reappeared and might be connected to the problem at hand. They'll start there by replacing that sensor.
The engine protocol of the car seemed fine, very few rev-ignitions in range 3, none in 4-6 (it's a touring so MT) so we'll see where it goes from here.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:31 AM
lindstroem
Track Day

Just picked up the gt3 touring from the dealership. Apparently there has been a parts recall with the gt3 for a material fault in a part of the throttle valve. That part's plastic softens under heat and causes an interruption of airflow at heavy load (above 7000rpm). They testdrove and said that solved the problem. Engine feels slightly more responsive after picking it up but that might be entirely subjective, have yet to find the time to testdrive and rev the 3rd gear out.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring random gas/power cutouts at 8,500rpm