Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Manual Money Shift :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 12:13 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 911 Posts

OP,

Do you think the shifter/cables are to blame to this? I have driven a few manual GT3s and found their shifter to be too imprecise to my liking and personally wouldnt feel comfortable shifting them aggressively near redline back to back. If I own one at some point, the first mod would be numeric cables/shifter.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by zmon
Did you have track insurance? does not sound like it because you did not mention it, but if you did you can talk to them. see if its something they would cover? might not insure you again, but would be a "cost of deductible" to get the situation resolved and your car back on the road.
Track insurance only covers collisions.
The following users liked this post:
zmon (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Prototyp1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
I only mention suing as I'm angry but I realize that there is no way that will make monetary sense - too much money to fight big corp and likely to lose.

Agreed, yes, its my fault but the 7.4s data without a day/time and no way for them to prove that just doesn't make sense. They could put me on a lie detector test and a stack of bibles and I guarantee you I would say that at most my accidental downshift was at most 1-2 sec. If they could tell me for sure it was the same date I was at the track and show me a graphical chart to prove it, then I'd believe it. But my understanding is that they can't do that. Hence I question the data. I talked to the dealer service mgr who agreed w/me that it sounded suspicious. He thought maybe it might make sense if there was a spin or other "off" but I've never done that to this car.

My point was merely to state - yes, I agree I did the accidental downshift but I just have a hard time believing their data is accurate. Software is not perfect. I would believe I went into range 3 but range 6 seems impossible given the circumstances and length of time and *thats* why I think it should be covered under warranty. But I'm just the little guy.

I held off from posting for 5 weeks because I worried about the implications but at this point, well, frankly, I have nothing to lose.

BTW, to those who might be asking - I'm not planning on selling the car. You are not going to get a deal. I'd be asking at least $150K and I doubt in its current condition its worth that. So I'm going to repair it one way or another. I do love the car and I've done some mods for the track (harness and harness bar, updated seats, girodisc, track brakes) that would add quite a bit to the price if one were to try to duplicate that on a stock car. Besides, the color is awesome. Of course, as the dealer told me when they first got back to me - right now its an expensive paperweight. Ouch, that hurts.
Thanks for clarifying. it's ok to be angry. Dealing with this situation I can only imagine the extra pain with PCNA. and yes, their customer service sucks. I've seen car with blown motor sitting outside for more than 6 weeks while waiting for them to approve repair under warranty. Zero communication in between. Dealer was clueless & act like not their problem.

It would be hard to believe your dealership doesn't want to lend you a hand just to make you feel better. They can offer you an new engine at close to their cost & just bill you the labor for goodwill. Not sure about cooperate but if I were the owner of the place that's what I'd do for customer. This would go for a long way in my opinion. it's all about relationships.
achenator (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Aww man, that's terrible to hear. I was really hoping it wasn't *that* for you when we met at COTA. I can't imagine how you feel. I hope you can get it resolved with Porsche Austin quickly.

Last edited by Jickel180; 09-03-2021 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

sad story. I understand you are upset about the 7.4 seconds but that doesn't change anything here as had it been .0001 seconds and result is the same who cares.
put on your big boy pants and fix the car or sell it and move on. maybe you should consider a PDK.
it is sad but you did it and the dealer gave you bad advice, which you should not have listened to.
Good luck getting it back on track again. I suggest you put your time into making money to pay for this engine.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:56 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118
Sorry to read this. Question on the DME report - Did they say that the 7.4 seconds overrev was all in Range 6? or was that a cumulative time of Range 1-6? I agree that seems like way too much given the situation you describe, but if you track a lot there are likely overrevs in Ranges 1-3 no matter how careful you think you are with the manual and perhaps that 7.4 seconds is a cumulative overrev over lifetime of the engine range? Just a thought, probably wrong, and likely won't change the course of things.then you lose out on the 2 year motor warranty.
This is the correct answer. I believe the over-rev time is cumulative for the life of the car and would include incidental range 1 and 2 over-revs that are likely to happen on the track in a 6MT simply from hitting the limiter. Does not indicate a software error, the problem is your interpretation that the 7.4s is only for your single most obvious over-rev.

I'm also not sure bringing it straight to the dealer would have helped much. In order for that to have been effective they would need to tear down the entire engine down to the crank (which Porsche probably won't let them do anyway) and end up with a good chance of finding nothing at all after spending big $$$$ for a teardown.

I'm sorry to hear this happened, major bummer.
catdog2 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Don't these cars have auto blip/rev match (mine does) to prevent the over revs?

When I started tracking my 6MT 991.2 GT3, I stopped heel toe and just used the auto blip when in a downshift.

I kinda thought that prevented the over revs. Not the case? I was under the impression with the blip engaged, the car won't let you downshift into a gear that's too low.

Sorry to hear of the OP's issues. Sucks....
Old 09-01-2021, 03:15 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs

When I started tracking my 6MT 991.2 GT3, I stopped heel toe and just used the auto blip when in a downshift.

I kinda thought that prevented the over revs. Not the case? I was under the impression with the blip engaged, the car won't let you downshift into a gear that's too low.

Yes the autoblip could prevent overrevs from an aggressive blip to the limiter (but it wouldn't go past in that instance), and I *imagine* that if downshifting into too low a gear that the auto-blip function would also be limited by the rev-limiter, but very different story when the clutch is let out and its a mechanical wheels-tranny-engine overrev that no software could ever prevent in a manual.

Last edited by rhk118; 09-01-2021 at 03:17 PM.
spyderbret (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

u guys worry way too much
1. don't money shift
2. when you money shift, just cut a check buy a new car

btw, if you money shifted driving on street, you really should just buy PDK or quit driving all together.
if you money shifted racing, will racing is expensive. and blowing up cars, engine, and. such are part of the fun. if u haven't lost an engine or gearbox on track, you are going too slow.
The following 11 users liked this post by mooty:
991carreradriver (09-01-2021), brontosaurus (07-01-2023), CX_GT3 (09-09-2021), Freddie Two Bs (09-04-2021), jfr0317 (09-11-2021), montoya (09-06-2021), Mussl Kar (09-10-2021), neoprufrok (09-01-2021), smceo (09-12-2021), vtgt (09-13-2021), WernerE (09-01-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rhk118
Yes the autoblip could prevent overrevs from an aggressive blip to the limiter (but it wouldn't go past in that instance), and I *imagine* that if downshifting into too low a gear that the auto-blip function would also be limited by the rev-limiter, but very different story when the clutch is let out and its a mechanical wheels-tranny-engine overrev that no software could ever prevent in a manual.
That's exactly my question. Would you be able to get into that low a gear at those speeds to begin with?

I was under the impression that the auto blip /rev limiter wouldn't let you into 2nd gear if the gear that was required was fourth based on the speed of the car at downshift.

I know I could be wrong (and probably am) but that's what I thought one of the benefits was of that software. No over revs, and of course, no heel toe (which I am kinda beginning to miss)...

Old 09-01-2021, 03:24 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

the autoblip will not stop an over rev. there is no gate to prevent you from going into the wrong gear here either. If you select too low of a gear for the speed you are at the wheels and transmission start turning the engine. redline in 2nd gear is like 80mph... if you drop down to 2nd gear instead of 4th by accident at 100mph... and let out the clutch.. well you are probably doing 10-11k rpms.

i did this last week in my m3... on the highway doing ~75mph. dropped down thinking i was going to hit 4th, hit second on accident. luckily redline in 2nd gear is 73. i did crap myself for a moment though.

one solution i've thought of is making a clutch by wire system. if the computer sees you select the wrong gear it will give you a warning and not let the clutch out to save your engine.

Last edited by R35driver; 09-01-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:25 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 153 Posts

No, the auto-blip will not prevent you from selecting too low a gear and letting the clutch out. That said, if the auto blip "matches" your downshift at 9000 RPM, then that might be just enough warning that you need to rethink that shift before you let the clutch out.

You could also argue that the auto-blip makes it easier to money shift because the lever might slip into the lower gear easier than it otherwise would since the synchros are spun up.
LAItalian (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:26 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Ahh, I see said the blind man.

Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the replies guys..
rhk118 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:08 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u guys worry way too much
1. don't money shift
2. when you money shift, just cut a check buy a new car

btw, if you money shifted driving on street, you really should just buy PDK or quit driving all together.
if you money shifted racing, will racing is expensive. and blowing up cars, engine, and. such are part of the fun. if u haven't lost an engine or gearbox on track, you are going too slow.
That’s the correct analysis. If I remember correctly Jo Seiffert money shifted a 917 at LeMans. Motorsport at any level isn’t cheap. Add the word Porsche and the cost multiplies.
jfr0317 (09-11-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:27 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
You could also argue that the auto-blip makes it easier to money shift because the lever might slip into the lower gear easier than it otherwise would since the synchros are spun up.
That is a great point Rob. Usually when the downshift takes a bit of extra pressure into the gate is a subtle clue that you selected the wrong gear, second clue is when you start to let the clutch out you can also feel it being "not right" (spinning up too quickly, resistance rather than pull) and instinctively clutch in again, go to neutral, re-combobulate with the clutch in to get the right gear for speed, blip to appropriate engine revs and clutch out and on your way slightly embarrassed but happy you didn't just let the clutch fly out (manuals have been my primary car my entire life, I've done this more times than I'd like to admit). I haven't done this to myself in the GT3 (yet) as usually drive autoblip off but something to keep in the back of the mind...

Last edited by rhk118; 09-01-2021 at 04:29 PM.
ShakeNBake (09-10-2021)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Manual Money Shift :-(