Sponsored by:

XPEL/ Paint Peeling Problem with CF Panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 10:12 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 911 Posts
Default XPEL/ Paint Peeling Problem with CF Panels

I have heard from my xpel installer that it has now happened 3 times to 3 different GT cars that while removing the film (using the proper steamer etc), the paint came off with the film. In every instance Porsche covered the cost of repainting the panel but still, this is a problem. Further discussing with him, it sounds like the issue is with how the CF panels have been painted. It seems like the prep for these panels are different and the paint doesnt strongly stick to them like the regular panels do. Has anyone else heard of this?

I know that CF panels in every manufacturer (Mclaren, Corvette, Porsche) is painted by their supplier separately. They are not painted at the same time as rest of the car in paint shop. This is because of this prep/cure process being different. In fact, if any of you has infrared cameras (even the cheap $30-40 ones you buy from amazon), you can see the CF panels will always appear darker/lighter vs the rest of the car.

Anyways, makes me really nervous. I dont know whether I want to have xpel on these panels and worry about repainting them vs leaving them alone. In my case, car is already wrapped tip to toe but I was considering redoing the front as the clearbra has lots of marks (bugs etc) that are not coming off even with polishing. But now I am not sure if its worth the risk.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:17 AM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

I have also seen when replacing the front bumper xpel or suntek, small tiny pieces of paint will come off from prior hard impacts from rocks or debris. The film doesn’t tear but it will damage the integrity of the paint underneath and small little chips will come off stuck to the film. Not a huge deal as you can touch them up but I can imagine a little piece becoming a large tear if your installer is not careful. I’m in the same boat as you as I’d like my front bumper suntek replaced with their new thicker material but not sure if it’s worth the effort.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:12 PM
Newimage
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled a full front (Xpel) off my .2 GT3 with out issue. Non carbon panels of course.

Last edited by Newimage; 04-25-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old 04-25-2021, 02:19 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Newimage
I pulled a full front (Xpel) off my .2 GT3 with out issue. Non carbon panels of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPA1OXzoyE
Exactly...not carbon fiber.
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyGan (04-25-2021)

Quick Reply: XPEL/ Paint Peeling Problem with CF Panels