Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Would you buy a 991.1 GT3 today? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1238878-would-you-buy-a-991-1-gt3-today.html)

michaeldorian 03-02-2021 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by armanslr (Post 17263697)
Right now, I wouldn’t. I was going to purchase a 2014 PTS .1 with 22k miles, 179k Msrp for 122k.

Price was good, and resale in 2 years most likely will still be about 100k. Amazing car for the money. But, with the 992 release around the corner I opted to wait.

Once 992s start landing it can only bring the price down on the .2s and then you’ll have more options at either buying a .2, or who knows and get a 992 allocation.

If you look hard you can find .2s as low as 139k right now. Hard to buy a 2-4 year older car with the engine issue and warranty expiring soon for 20k difference.

Prices for .2 seem to be creeping up. Not sure if the cars are selling but I can't find anything near that 140k price. Especially in the last month. Maybe in Jan. It's crazy out there. There are a few .1's out there selling for under 110k. Feels like a steal. But even I have a hard time overcoming the stigma.

michaeldorian 03-02-2021 06:50 PM

What's the reason so many are more okay with 15, 16 but not okay with 14's? Is it because all 14's got their motors replaced?

CubsFan1 03-02-2021 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by michaeldorian (Post 17269118)
What's the reason so many are more okay with 15, 16 but not okay with 14's? Is it because all 14's got their motors replaced?

I suspect that’s a part of it. You get more warranty time with a 15 and 16, and with the 16 the G engine. In addition in 15 you could opt for the light weight bucket seats, which some prefer.

BryanCO 03-02-2021 11:49 PM

I would not consider a .1 first because PDK but also if the engine wasn’t the most recent spec. If we somehow knew the engine would fail before the end of the warranty, sure but I don’t like that bet. Shame really as the car is great.

michaeldorian 03-03-2021 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Smiththrs (Post 17263420)
It’s always perplexing to me how many people worry about this issue. It’s literally not a problem, if the engine fails by 2025 it’s replaced by a bomb proof engine. If it doesn’t then it’s likely to not break, buy the car, drive the car, and enjoy the car. Laugh that it’s 40-50k less than the .2. If you are buying this car you are likely able to afford any issue that comes up. If you listened to every person on this forum we would all be paralyzed by the fear of our .1 engines lighting on fire and our .2 oil pumps failing...you guys get really silly on here, yes I would buy this car. Honestly if you are worried about depreciation get a 997.

Are the replacement engines really regarded as bomb proof? So many folks seem to say otherwise. Some saying they have gone through multiple replacement engines on here?

ipse dixit 03-03-2021 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by michaeldorian (Post 17269995)
Are the replacement engines really regarded as bomb proof? So many folks seem to say otherwise. Some saying they have gone through multiple replacement engines on here?

No, it's not bomb proof.

It's why there are F and G engines, both successors to the E engine (the original problem child of the family).

itrsteve 03-03-2021 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by michaeldorian (Post 17269995)

The problem is that people have a scattered definition of “replacement” and that problem is compounded by the E, F, G stuff - which means next to nothing as the engine went through multiple iterative updates which weren’t bound to a model year/engine letter prefix.

Bottom line - 2014-2016 - none of the cars left the factory with an engine that wasn’t susceptible to the finger follower problem. They just got harder to kill as time went on; however, the final revision didn’t come until the G6 and this appeared to do the trick.

Which means those early 2014 port replacements got an engine that could fail just like my early 2015 did.

If I were shopping one of these things I would 100% seek out one with a G6, they don’t fetch any extra money today and you can buy it at the bargain basement .1 price without the worry. IMO, I’d take a 2014 over a 2016 - it’s just going to be easier to kill if it hasn’t got a replacement yet.

Travis Brown 03-04-2021 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by R35driver (Post 17266691)
Maybe consider saving until you can buy a .2 ?
You could also pick up a 997.2 gt3 pdk, 981 GT4, or 718 GT4 pdk and enjoy for a few years then trade up to the .2 gt3 which will probably have come down by then.

lots of good dialogue in here. Appreciate all of the opinions as this is my dilemma at the moment. I’m finally in a position to buy my first Porsche. The GT3 is my dream car, but maybe I should slow roll my dreams and keep them in check with reality. I plan on using the car to primarily AutoX, but also do a few track days. I run with the SoCal POC in my dadmobile, VW Golf R at the moment.

Smiththrs 03-04-2021 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Travis Brown (Post 17272433)
lots of good dialogue in here. Appreciate all of the opinions as this is my dilemma at the moment. I’m finally in a position to buy my first Porsche. The GT3 is my dream car, but maybe I should slow roll my dreams and keep them in check with reality. I plan on using the car to primarily AutoX, but also do a few track days. I run with the SoCal POC in my dadmobile, VW Golf R at the moment.

Dude, buy the car....then hit me up and we can go crush Palomar.

itrsteve 03-04-2021 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Travis Brown (Post 17272433)

Get a .1, plenty of time to cook that engine. I wouldn't touch one with the original engine if I was just going to be a low-mile/C&C sort of guy, but clearly you're going to use it.

It's a damn good feeling to know you saved 40-50k and the only path to get there is using the car as intended. Hell of a value prop.

Akunob 03-04-2021 12:01 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a .1 GT3 at a $40K delta to an equally equipped .2 GT3. From a re-sale perspective, the dealer isn't going to lower your trade-in value specifically because of the .1 engine issue (this would likely only apply to a private sale), and from a warranty perspective, Porsche's good faith has been demonstrated numerous times globally. Buy the car, pocket the $40K and enjoy!! That said when I was in the market 3 years ago for a 991 GT3, I sought and bought a MY16 G6 engine car. I didn't avoid the MY14-15 cars because of either re-sale/value depreciation nor warranty issues...for me the x-factor was downtime to get a replacement engine shipped and installed. Those who know me, know that I track my car quite a bit and if the .1 engine where to go, it would most likely be during the track season. The prospect of being without a track car for 2-3 months, during peak track season here in the Northeast, while everything got sorted wasn't appealing. So indirectly you could say the engine issue led me to the G6, but it wasn't re-sale/value nor warranty concerns, for me it was downtime. If that isn't a factor for you, then go for it.

Jickel180 03-04-2021 12:48 PM

I was in the same spot back in 2018. Ended up finding the perfect .1 w/LWB, steel brakes, LEDs, and FAL and had to jump on it. The rest of the budget went towards an SUV for the wife and doggos. Both cars were had for a total price of a highly optioned .2. The .1 has proven to be an epic car and the savings are worth it in my case. I think about that each time I pass a .2 on track :o

Stealth 993 03-04-2021 01:20 PM

I was in this situation when looking for a GT3. Thee RS and .2 was just out of what I was willing to spend (Wife was already pissed about paying over $100k for a "used car).
Looking around, I could stretch and get a beat on RS, or high miles low option .2 for $30k more than a stellar .1. IMHO, the .1 looks better than the .2, but the RS is still king.

I kept looking, and kept going back to the .1. It was a local car I knew the owner threw PCA. So I got a .1 with an extended Porsche warranty for 10years, so I'm covered will 2030 bumper to bumper. Now I can drive the snot out of it, on and off the track and no worry about basically anything. I do have to watch how I modify it (just have a Dundon center muffler) and I have to keep basic maintenance up.

While it may not be as "fast" as a .2 or RS, it's in budget, the car is next level on the track, I don't have to worry about any of it breaking, and I still get out outdrive some RS and .2 drivers on track.

This whole issue is kind of like the IMS bearings, the aftermarket will come out with several fixes once the 10yr warranty is done. I have put 10kmi on mine last year (Covid runs around MT Rainier) and it has been trouble free and perfect, my only grip has been 3 sets of tires and one set of brake pad that are being installed in my garage right now.

Mthrice 03-04-2021 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Akunob (Post 17272775)
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a .1 GT3 at a $40K delta to an equally equipped .2 GT3. From a re-sale perspective, the dealer isn't going to lower your trade-in value specifically because of the .1 engine issue (this would likely only apply to a private sale), and from a warranty perspective, Porsche's good faith has been demonstrated numerous times globally. Buy the car, pocket the $40K and enjoy!! That said when I was in the market 3 years ago for a 991 GT3, I sought and bought a MY16 G6 engine car. I didn't avoid the MY14-15 cars because of either re-sale/value depreciation nor warranty issues...for me the x-factor was downtime to get a replacement engine shipped and installed. Those who know me, know that I track my car quite a bit and if the .1 engine where to go, it would most likely be during the track season. The prospect of being without a track car for 2-3 months, during peak track season here in the Northeast, while everything got sorted wasn't appealing. So indirectly you could say the engine issue led me to the G6, but it wasn't re-sale/value nor warranty concerns, for me it was downtime. If that isn't a factor for you, then go for it.

I got my car back in 10 business days with a G6 in it. Unless you bought a 16 with the engine already replaced, you have a G0

michaeldorian 03-04-2021 08:37 PM

I should clarify meaning the current latest replacement engine. G06 I believe.