Dealer Relationships...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Gtouring3
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=usrodeo4;17255144]
Originally Posted by Gtouring3
I've been troubled by a recent interaction with the GM of dealership that I purchased my touring from and wanted to get some feedback on whether my expectation are incongruent with reality.

Like many of you, I pride myself of building meaningful relationships with business vendors, retailers, et al. This bridges I build often come in the form of birthday well wishings, genuine conversations about family / life, bottles of wines dropped off during the holidays, referrals, etc. I genuinely care about the people I do business with.

That said, I recently reached out to the GM of the dealership where I purchased my touring from with the intention of "paying it forward". I am planning to spend the summer abroad and don't expect my toys to get any use - that and the idea of grabbing an early allocation of a 992 touring were behind an email sent to the GM stating much the same. As in, hey, "I'd like to sell you my touring and learn what the allocations look like for 992's moving forward". I know I could get higher dollars if I went elsewhere but I want my guys (the dealership) to benefit.

So 10 days go by with no response. And then a get a call and text from the GM to the effect of "Hey, saw your email, I forgot to call you back - I can give you $150k for your car and I don't know anything about 992 allocations".

For context, my touring has 8K miles, full PPF, full service up to date, all the right options (chalk, pccb, buckets, etc), never tracked. I also paid a $15k ADM.

So, am I justified in questioning if I actually have a "relationship" with my dealer? $150k and there are currently fewer than 5 tourings listed on autotrader?

As it stands right now, I'll never a buy a car from these guys again - tell me I'm wrong.

At the end of the day, I was trying to do right by the relationship, but maybe through this experience I learned that maybe I simply don't have one...

Thoughts and similar experiences are welcome!

I can understand your frustration, that is a pretty blunt response. Are you already on a first name basis with the principal owner (not sure if the GM is one and the same but I always like to speak with the Principle Owner when talking turkey) or was this your first interaction via email? Not sure what else to say, but as I said I do understand your frustration. As to personal experience, all I can say is I split my time between a beach condo and an inland residence and as such have three different Porsche dealerships that I have used but I have settled on just one (Orlando South Porsche) going forward based on solely on my conversations with the Principle Owner at Orlando South Porsche Re: my GT2. He also drives a GT2 and was very enthusiastic and professional (suit and tie, which means a lot to me) and very down to earth regarding wanting me as a customer.
Thanks for your thoughts. It's indeed frustrating and yes, all of my interaction has been with the GM. Regarding the owner of the dealership - I don't know him, but he's a member at my country club and I intend to make an effort to introduce myself soon.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:03 PM
Gtouring3
AutoX

Originally Posted by Palting
Yup, this dealer of yours is not particularly enthralled with dealer relationships. You are just another customer.

I have one particular dealer I have a good relationship with. His motto: "I am not here to sell you A car. I m here to have a relationship and sell you several cars". Over the last 20+ years, he has indeed sold me almost a dozen cars, cars for my children and my wife, always at a good deal from the get go. Unfortunately, it is a large multiple brand dealership from Mazda to MB range, but not a Porsche dealer. I've bought 3 Porsches from my current Porsche dealer, but with the high octane market that Porsche GT cars are in, I doubt I'll have that same relationship with him.
THIS is what I'm looking for. Sadly, I'm a bit of ***** / John apparently (thx CayenneTTS) with the varied brands that I frequent and these brands generally don't play nice under one roof. .

Old 02-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Gtouring3
AutoX

Originally Posted by R35driver
$150k is a slap in the face. I would just say 'ok lets make a deal at 150k' and keep leading them on then bailing.
A nasty slap at that... $178k build, $15k adm and no love.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:09 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 776 Posts

The dealer knows there will be crazy ADM's on the 992 GT3's so they don't want to promise you anything or they have customers who are just way ahead of you in terms of relationship.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-26-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:34 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

All Car Dealers / Sales folks / GM's only have 1 motive, sell sell sell. Ruthless people and apologies to the sales folks on here but this is my interpretation. Every sales guy no matter industry thinks of what he can get out to an individual, no matter what their relationship is.

I know a dealer Porsche local to me who said I was too cheap to be one of his clients LOL, he rolls with the Rolex wearing Gucci crowd as they don't question or ask for free air in their tires like i do.

Trust me, my brother run's quite a few dealerships in Europe with many high end brands, he tells his own GM's to become friends and build relationships, behind closed doors he tells them go for the throat as they are lemmings who want to buy cars.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
$150k is a slap in the face. I would just say 'ok lets make a deal at 150k' and keep leading them on then bailing.
I would be petty enough to go down this path.

Also, that chalk touring should be a keeper.

Last edited by itrsteve; 02-24-2021 at 04:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by itrsteve:
R35driver (02-24-2021), rhk118 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:47 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Personally I think you have unrealistic expectations, you went to the GM to sell you car. What price did you expect him to start with? why would the GM commit to 992 GT3T price now? You also sent them an email, if your were serious he'd probably expect you to set up an appointment, so they can see the car. I am sure they get many emails from people trying to find out pricing on their cars. I would take the reply as his qualification test to see if you are serious and it sets the ball park for where the negotiations will start.

Last edited by tgibrit; 02-24-2021 at 04:54 PM.
CPTAmericaMV (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Gtouring3
AutoX

Originally Posted by tgibrit
Personally I think you have unrealistic expectations, you went to the GM to sell you car. What price did you expect him to start with? why would the GM commit to 992 GT3T price now? You also sent them an email, if your were serious he'd probably expect you to set up an appointment, so they can see the car. I am sure they get many emails from people trying to find out pricing on their cars. I would take the reply as his qualification test to see if you are serious and it sets the ball park for where the negotiations will start.
The GM oversees all of the brands but he personally manages Porsche and offices in their showroom.

Further, I have a relationship (or thought I did) with him, he knows my kids names, we used to visit the showroom weekly before Covid - like I said, I take an interest in the people I do business with.

...and where did I mention pricing in my post? I asked about allocations. Did you read my OP?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:02 PM
waltersafety
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
I would be petty enough to go down this path.

Also, that chalk touring should be a keeper.
My slap in the face came from the service department . The manger said " I see lots of track inspections but not much money spent " That on a car with 13K still under warranty .

All the departments at a dealership try to rip each other too if that's any consolation .

Old 02-24-2021, 05:11 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

If you feel you have a relationship with the GM then use it. Call him. People have bad days. It's difficult to show intent and tone in email and text. The worse that can happen is you guys disagree on numbers and remain friends.
AlexCeres (02-26-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 05:16 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtouring3
The GM oversees all of the brands but he personally manages Porsche and offices in their showroom.

Further, I have a relationship (or thought I did) with him, he knows my kids names, we used to visit the showroom weekly before Covid - like I said, I take an interest in the people I do business with.

...and where did I mention pricing in my post? I asked about allocations. Did you read my OP?
I did read you post, you said "learn what the allocations look like for 992's moving forward" - what were you expectations? he replied he didn't know about allocations, you didn't seem happy with that answer, so its sounded like you wanted confirmation he would you on the list and if so what is the point of being on the a if you don't know the price or at least a commitment to MSRP? Like all salespeople he will most likely have "relationships" with a large database of clients
Old 02-24-2021, 05:41 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Cars are a depreciating commodity that dealers buy and sell to make a profit. If they have been in business for a long time they have seen a lot of cars come and go, some touted as “holy grail”, “keeper for life”. Dealers have no interest beyond sales unless some have personal interest in auto racing, or collecting. You might find the stories about Peter Gregg as car dealer interesting. In any case this forum represents a group passionate about a car that they take seriously and view it as more than a commodity, at least until they decide to sell. You may not have much of a relationship with your dealer as you had hoped, and I do not care to defend someone I do not know, but your proposal may have been sufficiently premature that your answer was (unintentionally) offensive. Your GM has little info on the 992 GT3 and none on the Touring. He has no figures to base on a trade for the new car. His knee jerk was to give you a price for quick cash buy back without considering that was not your intention or how you may interpret his response. Up to you but relationships are not easy. A polite reply from you noting your concerns and expectations, or a visit to the GM, will tell you once and for all where you stand.
The following 2 users liked this post by djcxxx:
Bartleby7334 (02-24-2021), rhk118 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

a giant suitcase of cash buys relationship.
anything else, in today's short business memory, is nothing.
The following 6 users liked this post by mooty:
catdog2 (02-24-2021), CPTAmericaMV (02-24-2021), JC Lacayo (02-25-2021), NCPM (02-25-2021), sdm100 (02-25-2021), theunitedstates (02-24-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2021, 10:02 PM
HRJ
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
All Car Dealers / Sales folks / GM's only have 1 motive, sell sell sell. Ruthless people and apologies to the sales folks on here but this is my interpretation. Every sales guy no matter industry thinks of what he can get out to an individual, no matter what their relationship is.

I know a dealer Porsche local to me who said I was too cheap to be one of his clients LOL, he rolls with the Rolex wearing Gucci crowd as they don't question or ask for free air in their tires like i do.

Trust me, my brother run's quite a few dealerships in Europe with many high end brands, he tells his own GM's to become friends and build relationships, behind closed doors he tells them go for the throat as they are lemmings who want to buy cars.
That's an rather broad brush you have there...
The following 2 users liked this post by HRJ:
Indiana Jones (02-25-2021), Napoli (02-28-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 10:02 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
This.

Honestly if you are emailing stuff like this to the GM, you don’t have a relationship. You go in and you talk to them.
josephvman (02-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Dealer Relationships...