Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Correct locked CL after AD service?
All good and securely locked :-)
61.11%
One or more not correctly locked :-(
38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Center lock caution after AD service!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 12:22 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 140 Posts

Service quality has suffered across the board in all businesses due to the pandemic and people cutting staff.
The following users liked this post:
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:37 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
You know I had new wheels put on my car at the dealer and did not check when I recently took them off for the first time. I was swapping brake pads for an up coming track event. Once I torqued down the wheels I did find my self playing with the locks on 3 of the wheels that weren't seated. Curious if you would normally get a warning light?
This might be obvious, but what does AD stand for?
No warning light.... just a wheel flying off the car. jk. But nothing good for sure.

AD - Authorized Dealer... at least that's what I thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLNTL3S:
Captain_ (02-05-2021), pjazz (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:48 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
You make a good point that extends beyond our cars. It has been increasingly difficult to maintain machinery due to lack of skilled and committed mechanics. We had a first rate boat mechanic who quit the business after 20 years because he could not find a junior partner willing to put the time and effort a first class job requires. I could not find anyone reliable who was also available regardless of cost. So I sold the boat. Replacing parts is not equivalent to repairing them, and the manufacturers have not helped situation. Warranties and replaced engines/transmissions doesn’t train mechanics.
So sad to hear. And that’s probably what’s going on in this business too?
Old 02-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

You know I had new wheels put on my car at the dealer and did not check when I recently took them off for the first time. I was swapping brake pads for an up coming track event. Once I torqued down the wheels I did find my self playing with the locks on 3 of the wheels that weren't seated. Curious if you would normally get a warning light?
No warning lights for this. And that’s exactly what you have to do. Not more not less but somebody needs to care.

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Service quality has suffered across the board in all businesses due to the pandemic and people cutting staff.
Well in my case this was clearly before Covid.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

NO! the locks are purely mechanical!

it does make one wonder, if the mechanics are not checking the CL locks are they also *not* following the CL protocols w.r.t applying the necessary anti-seize grease, and torquing, backing off,
and re-torquing the CL nuts (and w/o the wheels under load when doing so)...

I'm skeptical!!!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 02-05-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

There are some really great product design guys on this board, who have come up with some great home grown products. Why doesn't someone design and make a center cap that is transparent so that we can always see the position of the locking mechanism? It would give folks peace of mind, not too mention neutralizing the tech idiots at the track that want us to run with our center caps off.
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:04 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
There are some really great product design guys on this board, who have come up with some great home grown products. Why doesn't someone design and make a center cap that is transparent so that we can always see the position of the locking mechanism? It would give folks peace of mind, not too mention neutralizing the tech idiots at the track that want us to run with our center caps off.
Going with caps of are a big no no.
Sitting in my rowing Machine doing exercise this night I came up with some ideas.

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Sitting in my rowing Machine doing exercise this night I came up with some ideas.
I think there are other ways than making them transparent. But transparent was also my first thought :-)

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

This wouldn’t be hard at all. I could design something and SLA print it in near crystal clear composite material in no time. Afternoon project. My car is getting PPF’d over the next couple weeks otherwise I’d knock it out today.
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pcarlover
This wouldn’t be hard at all. I could design something and SLA print it in near crystal clear composite material in no time. Afternoon project. My car is getting PPF’d over the next couple weeks otherwise I’d knock it out today.
GO do it. Could be a great product that could become mandatory at track days

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:37 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain_
GO do it. Could be a great product that could become mandatory at track days
I am all for it. I’ll grab a cap and start designing next time I swing by the shop.
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 05:54 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I’ve always been ambivalent about the CLs. Conceptually appropriate to the GT cars with a clear Motorsport pedigree, the implementation by Porsche has left something to be desired. Possibly just not a practical technology for a street car that cannot be maintained like a race car.
exit87 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I’ve always been ambivalent about the CLs. Conceptually appropriate to the GT cars with a clear Motorsport pedigree, the implementation by Porsche has left something to be desired. Possibly just not a practical technology for a street car that cannot be maintained like a race car.
Centre lock wheels or early knock-offs where patented in 1908.
CL’s a bit more complicated than the multiple bolt systems.
And of course makes more sense in the racing scene when needing quick wheel changes.
But concerning all another complicated systems these cars have its quite simple.
It’s just a question about knowing how too deal with it and Porsche tells us exactly how to do.
The problem here is when they them selves not care about following the procedures they themselves stipulated.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:25 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

I had the same happen to me last summer. AD missed 1 of the 4 not in locked position. I brought it up the the Service Manager and he was apologetic. The bottom line is owners need to check each wheel after every service, hate to say it but that is the reality.

Originally Posted by zedcat
Happened to me. I let the service manager know my view on that. I always check them after a wheel change by a dealer.

Quick Reply: Center lock caution after AD service!!