Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Correct locked CL after AD service?
All good and securely locked :-)
61.11%
One or more not correctly locked :-(
38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Center lock caution after AD service!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Center lock caution after AD service!!

After I found non correctly done service getting my car from AD-workshop with unlocked wheel nuts on left side fwd and aft wheels. A friend of mine took off his CL caps to find all 4 of his wheels not being locked according to Porsches instructions as well.
His car was also AD serviced. I hope its just our shops (2 different) having done this misstake?
So go get your small tool out and carefully remove the CL caps and check. But only if you feel comfortable doing it. It can potentially at best case save money, and worst your day, especially you who track your cars.
Have a nice weekend.

How its not supposed to look getting your caps of!

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

Happened to me. I let the service manager know my view on that. I always check them after a wheel change by a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
Happened to me. I let the service manager know my view on that. I always check them after a wheel change by a dealer.
Well your absolutely right. But If they cant avoid simple, obvious and potentially extremely dangerus misstakes like these, what more gets wrong doing maintenance on our cars without us knowing or even having a chance to find out before its too late?

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
+1
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:33 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

The local tire guy told me that he went around the pits where he was a technical resource of a PCA event and found an unlocked CL or more than one on half of the Porsches there with CL’s...
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
Captain_ (02-05-2021), djcxxx (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:38 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
The local tire guy told me that he went around the pits where he was a technical resource of a PCA event and found an unlocked CL or more than one on half of the Porsches there with CL’s...
Thanks GrantG!
Gosh, this is a real problem, maybe bigger than I thought? After having had a spinn around some different workshops I've seen some places where I wouldn't even let them top up wiper fluid on my car.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:52 AM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

My AD did a great job - I always double check when wheels are removed.

My local shop did a good job too, but left two partially unlocked. I used a socket extension to wiggle it and it popped right into place.

Lesson is to always double check. It's your life.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:02 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain_
Well your absolutely right. But If they cant avoid simple, obvious and potentially extremely dangerus misstakes like these, what more gets wrong doing maintenance on our cars without us knowing or even having a chance to find out before its too late?
Yes it is a broad problem. In my city we have 3 dealers and I have had issues with all. I've been with the same service advisor now for the last 5 years and make my expectations clear. not much more one can do except DIY.

I've gotten used to the torque procedure and cleaning/greasing the nuts but it really is an awful design. At the PCA multi-region track events at COTA they require a daily torque and lock check on all CL equipped cars with a sticker verifying the check on the windscreen. Shouldn't be necessary but I hear they continue to find unlocked pins when they check.

Last edited by zedcat; 02-05-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:03 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
My AD did a great job - I always double check when wheels are removed.

My local shop did a good job too, but left two partially unlocked. I used a socket extension to wiggle it and it popped right into place.

Lesson is to always double check. It's your life.
Well my life as a pilot is trusting my mechanics 110%, they are my heroes, any day of the week any hour of the day, and save my life.
And this without me even paying them.
In this case I pay them almost 4000 bucks, anyway they try to kill me.

Last edited by Captain_; 02-05-2021 at 11:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Captain_:
BlazinPond (02-05-2021), JC Lacayo (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:47 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

My AD service manager knows that I always inspect the CLs when they service them and they have done a good job so far. For non AD service on CLs I would only trust a shop that has a track/race background. Locally Orbit Racing and similar independent shops that actively support Porsche’s race cars are very attuned to the specific requirements of CLs.
usrodeo4 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:54 AM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
My AD service manager knows that I always inspect the CLs when they service them and they have done a good job so far. For non AD service on CLs I would only trust a shop that has a track/race background. Locally Orbit Racing and similar independent shops that actively support Porsche’s race cars are very attuned to the specific requirements of CLs.
Good that your AD-s does what they're paid for. But we had just a problem with our AD service and by reading some replies here that seems to be the case with other AD-s in US as well. And thats just not good enough.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:02 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Hey Captain
Your CL nut has lost its shine, did your shop use the wrong PH soap on your wheels, citrus base possibly?
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Captain_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Hey Captain
Your CL nut has lost its shine, did your shop use the wrong PH soap on your wheels, citrus base possibly?
:-) You noticed. Thats how it looked when I bought it from the dealer. I don't know what they did to it?
Now when I own it it looks different.
Have a nice weekend.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:13 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 140 Posts

You know I had new wheels put on my car at the dealer and did not check when I recently took them off for the first time. I was swapping brake pads for an up coming track event. Once I torqued down the wheels I did find my self playing with the locks on 3 of the wheels that weren't seated. Curious if you would normally get a warning light?
This might be obvious, but what does AD stand for?
Captain_ (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:15 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain_
Good that your AD-s does what they're paid for. But we had just a problem with our AD service and by reading some replies here that seems to be the case with other AD-s in US as well. And thats just not good enough.
You make a good point that extends beyond our cars. It has been increasingly difficult to maintain machinery due to lack of skilled and committed mechanics. We had a first rate boat mechanic who quit the business after 20 years because he could not find a junior partner willing to put the time and effort a first class job requires. I could not find anyone reliable who was also available regardless of cost. So I sold the boat. Replacing parts is not equivalent to repairing them, and the manufacturers have not helped situation. Warranties and replaced engines/transmissions doesn’t train mechanics.

Quick Reply: Center lock caution after AD service!!