Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dundon street headers and tips - install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 142 Posts

Congrats! The system gets better with time.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:42 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 535 Posts

My passenger side wire was on the loose side post install. The insulation melted and I ended up with shorted wires and codes. Pain in the rear but I was able clean up the mess by cutting out the fried sections.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:53 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
To wrap up this thread, I’ll let everyone know this has been a great modification. Install was a piece of cake, the shop had no issues, fit and finish was superb, and they knew to tie up the O2 sensor wires even before I asked them to. Jamie was a pleasure to deal with.

As for the exhaust and titanium tips, couldn’t be happier. Sound is perfect. I mean, let’s face it, car is too special to sound as quiet as it does with the stock equipment. Not that I’m looking to stand out while puttering around town, but it does need more of a sense of occasion and the stock sound isn’t it. The street headers and the OEM center is perfect for me. Not too loud, but louder than stock. And I still get the pops and crackles lifting off the gas, it properly screams between 6k and 9k, and cold starts are a nice reminder of what lies in store. Funny thing, I met a guy the very weekend this was installed with the exact same car, also with the Dundon street headers but with the “loud” Dundon center muffler. Sounded great also, but for me, too loud. Would be too loud, for example, after an hour on the parkway, understanding this all very subjective. With my setup, an hour on the parkway (or 4 hours to Watkins Glen) would be fine. Tips look purposeful, as titanium tips should.

And the extra power is noticeable. Not life changing, but the car has a greater sense of urgency is how I would describe it. A bit more ooomph anytime you need it. Couple that with the sound, this was a great upgrade. Very happy with the whole process, and thanks again to everyone who responded with advice.
I’m running the race headers + loud mufflers + Ti tips and i do agree with you, it is definitely LOUD.

Wait till you blue the Titanium from the track work heat - it looks even better.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:11 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with Holdens, it takes a few hundred miles to get the full impact of the exhaust. I have loved my set up (I did the black muffler too).
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Had anyone problems with heat at the rear tires? I have the headers also now (bought used in the forum) and my race shop has serious worries that the rear tires will melt when the headers glow or in stop and go traffic. Headers/cats are close to the tires and not isolated...
Whats your experience?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:22 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

I wouldn't expect any noticeable performance gains...doing exhaust "upgrades" on a modern GT car is mostly for aesthetics (sound) and weight savings (assuming a full titanium or inconel setup).
Old 07-23-2021, 10:09 AM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
Had anyone problems with heat at the rear tires? I have the headers also now (bought used in the forum) and my race shop has serious worries that the rear tires will melt when the headers glow or in stop and go traffic. Headers/cats are close to the tires and not isolated...
Whats your experience?
No issues at all - these have been run in +45C weather on the track on my car among many others. The only thing "melting" the tires should be the driver!!
Old 07-23-2021, 10:10 AM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I wouldn't expect any noticeable performance gains...doing exhaust "upgrades" on a modern GT car is mostly for aesthetics (sound) and weight savings (assuming a full titanium or inconel setup).
To correct you - the Dundon system has proven gains when installing the headers and exhaust. 30 WHP (no tune) has been observed.

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...exhaust-system

Last edited by bulldog_YYC; 07-23-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Its not about driving... tires could melt in stop and go... but anyway, have the car back and think its to loud car sounds really nasty powerfull but its louder than I expected, especially in low rpm. And drone between 2.000 and about 3.000, also when flap is closed. With open flaps its like hell but this was to be expected. Need to see if I can live with that in daily driving.

I feel the power curve did also change a lot. The torgue rush from 5k upwards is gone. hhm... does the ecu need to adapt?
Old 07-23-2021, 05:27 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

The car takes abut 500 miles to learn the new system. Give it some time. I had a chance to drive my car with Dundon street headers / black muffler back to back with another .1RS a few months ago (stock headers and the JCR center). The extra midrange is noticeable with the Dundon. Not life changing by any means, but noticeable. My friend driving my car agreed with the extra power - but he is still in love with the JCR sound! Probably helped that he is still much faster than I am without the Dundon on his car! Just goes to show the best money spent on a GT car is time with a professional instructor!
Old 07-26-2021, 10:38 PM
blindfold
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

any pics of current titanium tips? I wanted style of tips to be "rolled" edge simiar to oem/ak/dundon black tips, as their ti tips are slash cut, are they made any differently now?

Quick Reply: New Dundon street headers and tips - install question