Sponsored by:

Anyone try the Garmin Catalyst?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:18 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Anyone try the Garmin Catalyst?

I've done about 10 track days and decided to pick a up a Garmin Catalyst, mostly for the simplicity. Has anyone else tried it and what were your thoughts? I don't think this is a useful option for anyone who has a more complete and capable systems and spends a lot of time on the track. However, I felt that as a novice is was very helpful and easy to review video instantly without the hassle of downloading or trying to view data on an iPhone. I'll be working with a coach for the first time on my next session and it will interesting to see his thoughts.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:43 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I just installed mine ahead of Sebring next weekend, I plan to see how it works and will also provide feedback. It was either a Garmin or go VBOX and I am no where near ready for a full VBOX so the Garmin does things similar but for less the price. My issue is being near the maximum of what the car and tires can do, having coaches at PCA events who don't really know your car or the limits doesn't help to push it near the limit, the Garmin Drive Coach might help in some parts on some tracks I feel.
The following 2 users liked this post by hsb1001:
dmac (11-12-2020), erik_plus8 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 09:51 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

there is a great thread on this device on the Rennlist Racing and HPDE forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-coaching.html
Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 116 Posts

I have one and have used it for 5 track days since mid-September. I think it's a great tool for track day guys. It's not going to be all things to all guys, but if you want an easy to use, easy to understand tool that has HD video you're going to like it.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:17 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Looking forward to picking one up for next season. Hope the software kinks get worked out by then.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Got one, love it...my friends...

..,..Several of them have the Catalyst and love it. I got mine from Peter Krause....peter@peterkrause.net I am so impressed with it....the unique thing about Peter, he supports what he sells. So does Matt Romanowski, but he doesn't sell Catalyst,. He does sell AiM.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:46 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

I love it, if it was a book it would be called "Track Day Analysis for Dummies". A very well designed and well thought out product.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
Apex Ace (11-13-2020), hsb1001 (11-13-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 11:12 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Anyone know how the Garmin can show your best lap in the history vs your current lap? Instead it just restarts fresh with each run?
Old 12-13-2020, 08:34 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

Catalyst is OK. It cannot compare laps between sesssions for any "opportunities". So, if my best lap in the session is a 2:22, it says the optimal lap is a 2:22. If my best lap in the session is a 2:25, then it says my optimal lap is a 2:25. It can nicely compare laps within a driving session, but once you go back to the pit, and come out for another session, it's as if you're a beginner again, insofar as the machine is concerned.

The following users liked this post:
M3 Defector (03-02-2021)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:16 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Mine shows all runs. Use headphones and turn on Advanced coaching. Pretty helpful during session.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I have an article in process and I thought about incorporating "For Dummies" in there. That term is trade-marked.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:30 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Mine shows all runs. Use headphones and turn on Advanced coaching. Pretty helpful during session.
Connecting via BT and turning the speakers up worked for me. Now I am just looking at the time delta.

Just a shame I can't use my best lap as a reference when starting a new run.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Catalyst is OK. It cannot compare laps between sessions for any "opportunities". Every session is unique, weather, track condition, tires, all could significantly change from one session to the next. Recall that the time between sessions is at least an hour. So comparing laps across sessions could provide misleading information. So, if my best lap in the session is a 2:22, it says the optimal lap is a 2:22. I have never seen this over the course of the four events where I have had my Catalyst. what do you see when you go to the OPPORTUNITIES screens, 1, 2 and 3? Do you see any any time that can be saved, any changes to recommended distance travelled when you drill down in the OPPORTUNITIES screen to Braking, Apex and Speed? Many nuggets of info there. If you don't see any recommendations as to how you can improve your times, then you are perfectly duplicating the OPTIMAL line. This seems far fetched. however if it were true, all the parameters below would be 0.00% confirming your consistency.

These three metrics below seen on the first screen after you have selected a lap to dig into, confirming driver's consistency, looking for the lowest possible % age number in all three (3):
  • BEST SEQ VAR, best sequential variability, across consecutive fast three back to back laps,,
  • TOP THREE VAR , Variability your fastest 3 laps, not consecutive,
  • AND TOP 5 VAR , Variability your fastest 35 laps, not consecutive,
If my best lap in the session is a 2:25, then it says my optimal lap is a 2:25. It can nicely compare laps within a driving session, but once you go back to the pit, and come out for another session, it's as if you're a beginner again, insofar as the machine is concerned. Well in effect you are starting over, you want to start over when you think about it. Previous sessions are olde news. Weather and track conditions may have changed, the conditions of your tires may be better or worse.

This is how I do it. Do a session, using predictive lap times and audio coaching, end the session, it's back to the pits to drill down into the Catalyst. First notice the OPTIMAL LAP time VS best time, noting that CATALYST created the OPTIMAL LAP TIME, by piecing together laps that the driver had driven over the sessions run.

Catalyst is as simple, or as complex as the user wants to make it. When I first fired up the Catalyst, I looked at my time VS OPTIMAL TIME, looked into the OPPORTUNITIES, but dared not drill down any deeper for fear of getting lost. Then I took a chance and dug into the BRAKING, APEX & SPEED taps for each OPPORTUNITY., Damn, this is awesome info, Now I can see how much time I can save, if I do as directed.

All I know is that, for whatever reason, with Catalyst in my car, I have achieved personal bests at the past two (2) tracks I have run, Buttonwillow on CW 13 with a 2:05.7, not a remarkable time, but the Top Speed was surprising, 117 MPH and Willow Springs with a 1:35.4 and a top speed down the front straight of a 136.0 MPH, now that was surprise..best top speed before had been a 1:34. Catalyst says I have a 1:33.5 in me if I optimize my performance.

And finally, I must say that the Catalyst is the best money I could have directed toward my driving improvement. I am hooked on audio coaching and post session OPPORTUNITIES. Keep mining that data, there's gold in there.

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-14-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Dup Post
Old 12-14-2020, 09:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Ive used it twice now at Sonoma, and I will be honest, I have *not* found it very useful other than as a timer and video recorder - I just don't find the information provided in the "Opportunities" to be very actionable - YMMV

Quick Reply: Anyone try the Garmin Catalyst?