Sponsored by:

Negotiating to buy new .2 GT3 -- small scratch on door

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:42 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Negotiating to buy new .2 GT3 -- small scratch on door

I have been negotiating with a dealer today on a .2 GT3 with 1500 miles. Negotiated a good discount off of MSRP and they are offering $117k for my 2015. Dealer and I are currently $2000 (i'm being pedantic) apart and he tells me someone opened the door into a gate and scratched it. He sent me the picture and while there is no dent, it's about an inch long and goes all the way to metal. Total bummer.

How will this affect value? He said their in-house body shop was going to repair it.

Thanks for any help.

Nick
Old 11-11-2020, 08:46 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

That’s too bad but at least he told you
Old 11-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

A scratch will not impact value don’t worry about it. Drive the car and have a ball it’s just paint.
The following users liked this post:
Palting (11-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I do not think a scratch will be reported so if it is repaired professionally and successfully it will have (0) affect on Value.

Also - it is important, in my opinion, for one's car to have a slight flaw- so this way you can stop treating it like it was glass and start enjoying her and realize it is a depreciating asset that you need to flog and have fun
The following 8 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
DAVfoto (11-14-2020), Garydose (11-12-2020), murox (11-11-2020), Palting (11-12-2020), R35driver (11-11-2020), realking (11-12-2020), Scottykenneth (11-13-2020), Yargk (11-12-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:11 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

not a big deal. a good body shop can make it vanish and no one will ever be able to tell. 'd just hit it with dr. colorchip if its not too bad
Palting (11-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:21 PM
kaylie
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 103 Posts

I wouldn’t do it. You’d always know it’s there. Also if they do a shoddy job, it’ll be a never ending cycle and then they’ll say they have to repaint the whole door and snowballs from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by kaylie:
catdog2 (11-12-2020), usrodeo4 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:25 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

It’s a one inch scratch not a big deal. I bought a Ferrari and it was full disclosure with a panel painted sold no problem.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,102 Likes on 2,122 Posts

You’re going to read about people looking for cars on Rennlist and some will say no paintwork. I agree that a cosmetic repair should not affect value. But for some, they will always want a cheaper price down the line since it has paintwork. Not that I agree with it, but something to keep in mind as you’re buying.

I’d also want to know if they’re repainting the entire door, blending into other panels, just repainting a part of the door then blending into the rest of the door? It’s something I’d want to see in person before making a deal on the car to be sure I was happy with the work. I’ve seen very good paintwork and when done right, it is very difficult to tell anything was done.

Best of luck.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:39 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
You’re going to read about people looking for cars on Rennlist and some will say no paintwork. I agree that a cosmetic repair should not affect value. But for some, they will always want a cheaper price down the line since it has paintwork. Not that I agree with it, but something to keep in mind as you’re buying.

I’d also want to know if they’re repainting the entire door, blending into other panels, just repainting a part of the door then blending into the rest of the door? It’s something I’d want to see in person before making a deal on the car to be sure I was happy with the work. I’ve seen very good paintwork and when done right, it is very difficult to tell anything was done.

Best of luck.
Sales manager told me the entire door wouldn't be repainted. The new paint would be blended in. Problem is I'm a a few hours away and I'd like to see it in person before pulling the trigger.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

If you want it done right, they should be repainting the whole door panel.

And if done right, a paint gun will reveal that the door has been repainted.

Ask me how I know. Been there, done that.

Just FYI.
KA 991 GT3 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 11:41 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

If I were you, I'd be asking myself what would I pay for a similar car without the re-paint issue? Then I'd go look around to see if that exists, if not, and the re-paint won't bother you after driving off the lot, then go for it!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:43 AM
josephvman
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 132 Posts

What color is the car? Typically metallics are going to be a little more involved than colors like Guards Red or white, which is a very easy spot repair and usually applying clear on the entire panel. If you've got the scratch documented and photographed, and it's correctly repaired, I don't see this as much of an issue. $117k seems like an absolute ton on trade for a 2015 GT3, so this might be a deal you don't want to miss. Trust me, there are a LOT of new cars that have minor manufacturer shipping/transport damage that's repaired at the port processing centers, and often not as well as a top-notch bodyshop that isn't in a hurry to get it on a truck can do.

The following 2 users liked this post by josephvman:
KA 991 GT3 (11-12-2020), twospyders (11-16-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:16 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

I’m sure this is frustrating for you at this point in the negotiation. There is likely to be longer lasting mental fatigue than depreciation impact. I like others give the dealer props for appropriately disclosing this. It’s definitely something some can live with and move on from and obviously some who wouldn’t. It’s been my experience the negotiation and deal process can cloud the enjoyment of getting a new car. I’ve learned from experience that I will pay more to get exactly what I want and at this price point 2k would never get in my way of closing a deal. It can cost more than that just to get the car shipped home in some scenarios. Nevertheless, I’m the type of buyer that walks from this situation. I will not accept buying a car I truly desire that needs paint work even before I get the chance to drive it off the lot. Yes some will share stories of unknowns and undisclosed issues many never know about. Suppose that’s life. However, you do know and fortunately get to choose. The deal prior to the damage seems fair. Simply need to decide if you want to buy this one with a repainted door. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:25 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

I personally don't buy high end performance cars that have had any paint fixes and certainly not an entire door/panel...that is a turn the page for me. I only buy creampuffs. There are too many perfect cars out there to do otherwise, My 2 cents anywho.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:31 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by murox
Sales manager told me the entire door wouldn't be repainted. The new paint would be blended in. Problem is I'm a a few hours away and I'd like to see it in person before pulling the trigger.
1st...I may have missed this, but what color is GT3?

2nd..where is the scratch in relation to nearest panel? Can you post a photo?

3rd...make sure they’re not doing a “spot blend”. this method is like a band-aid over the scratch as it puts color and clear in the general area.

The correct way to paint that door is to repair the scratch, put color where the damage is, and getting a color match that’s spot on is key here, then reclear the whole door

for that to happen properly, door handle and mirror needs to be removed

the only thing you may run into down the road is paint reading thickness and having to explain why door was repainted. Most may not see this as a problem since it’s cosmetic, and if job is done right, it should be visually undetectable

A lot of variables...hope that helps guide your decision

For some, if they’re getting a great deal on the price, no big deal and now, arguably more of a discount

For others, deal breaker as that door won’t ever be factory

If you love the car and it has everything you want, just make sure they paint it correctly and have an expert assess the repair prior to purchase

Quick Reply: Negotiating to buy new .2 GT3 -- small scratch on door