Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unconquerable buzzing sound in or behind dash at 4K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

I can appreciate your aggravation. I added the Akra link pipes and center bypass also which increased NVH levels and caused some annoying new resonances. I solved one issue simply by adjusting the passenger seat belt, but I never eliminated a buzz from the right side of the dash until I later changed to to a side bypass and OEM center set up which reduced the level of vibration. Good luck solving your issue.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,579 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Do these cars have the issue with the gas tank pads rubbing and causing noise that regular 991’s have?
Old 11-08-2020, 12:19 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Einmalig
I can appreciate your aggravation. I added the Akra link pipes and center bypass also which increased NVH levels and caused some annoying new resonances. I solved one issue simply by adjusting the passenger seat belt, but I never eliminated a buzz from the right side of the dash until I later changed to to a side bypass and OEM center set up which reduced the level of vibration. Good luck solving your issue.
Interesting. So maybe if I switch back to center muffler (such as Akra’s or OEM), that will make a difference.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:20 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Do these cars have the issue with the gas tank pads rubbing and causing noise that regular 991’s have?
Hmm, no idea! Will ask the dealer about it. Does this cause buzzing at a certain RPM in other 991 cars?
Old 11-08-2020, 01:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Are those a known culprit?
It is for some Bose speakers, as well as Burm. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue for the base stereo.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:44 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It is for some Bose speakers, as well as Burm. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue for the base stereo.
You’re talking about the door speakers? Think my noise issue is from inside the dash somewhere.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:08 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

2018 touring here and i have a rattle as well from center console area. i have not ever gotten around to tracing it. my car has the cubby not the ash tray in the console. i only hear it in a small RMP window and i guess i just live with it and have not spent the time hunting. will be keeping an eye on this thread though.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:29 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by zmon
2018 touring here and i have a rattle as well from center console area. i have not ever gotten around to tracing it. my car has the cubby not the ash tray in the console. i only hear it in a small RMP window and i guess i just live with it and have not spent the time hunting. will be keeping an eye on this thread though.
Mine also has a cubby rather than the smoking package.

What does your noise sound like and at what RPM?

Last edited by mafoofan; 11-08-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:43 PM
dmo0207
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, the dealer did not give me an itemized list. The mechanic really worked hard and he thought it was a combination of things. He put felt tape around multiple items behind the pcm, as well as replacing the ashtray. He also replaced the pads between the gas tank and wall, which can be an issue. Not sure which things were the offending item, but it is fixed and I am happy! I always cringe when taking the car to the dealer for these kind of issues, as there is almost always some new minor damage when I get it back....this time it was a puncture in the leather on the seat....when this was fixed it was a scratch on the door sill. Argh.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:14 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Originally Posted by dmo0207
I'm sorry, the dealer did not give me an itemized list. The mechanic really worked hard and he thought it was a combination of things. He put felt tape around multiple items behind the pcm, as well as replacing the ashtray. He also replaced the pads between the gas tank and wall, which can be an issue. Not sure which things were the offending item, but it is fixed and I am happy! I always cringe when taking the car to the dealer for these kind of issues, as there is almost always some new minor damage when I get it back....this time it was a puncture in the leather on the seat....when this was fixed it was a scratch on the door sill. Argh.
I know what you mean about new damage. There is always something. Last time they badly scraped up my front lip because the tech forgot to use the front lift when pulling into the garage. I had to fight to get them to replace it.

Truth is, most dealership service teams are used to working with Macans on lease, not dealing with folks like us who baby their cars.

Last edited by mafoofan; 11-08-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:57 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting. I have the same issue in my GT3T. Buzzing sound at 4k rpm right behind the PCM screen. Buzzing is much more obvious now that colder weather is here in the Northeast - things in general seem to rattle more in winter. Thought at first the sound might be related to the magnetic Rennline phone mount I have mounted on the right side of the PCM. My plan is to watch this thread for a while before I remove the PCM and start looking for the problem. I have smoking package and Bose.

Last edited by stumil; 11-09-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:51 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Just posted this in the other thread regarding the vibration issue:

This thread helped me identify the source of the vibration in my 2019 GT3 Touring which is most pronounced from about 3500rpm to 5500rpm. As many have written, it's the climate control module just under the PCM. Today, when I applied pressure with one finger to the bar at the top of the climate control module (it doesn't take a lot of pressure), the vibration stops. The end of my pen in the attached photo points to the spot to apply pressure to. Knowing the source of the vibration (and how to stop it) should help my dealer take the problem seriously, and hopefully rectify it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks to those who have posted regarding the source of the vibration - it's a big help!

Old 03-12-2021, 02:01 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Alright guys—not sure anyone else is still having this issue, but I think my dealer my have found the solution.

There is a plastic sensor for the key fob underneath the armrest storage compartment. It jostles around and produces a rattle that becomes audible around 4K RPM. The dealer put some felt around it. We went for a 15 minute road test—now the rattle is gone!

Fingers crossed—these things tend to come back later.
The following users liked this post:
zmon (02-25-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:02 PM
dlrbnkr
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same buzzing noise starting at 3,000 RPMs to about 4,000 but at that point, the engine is loud enough where you don't hear it anymore. It is the A/C control unit as the dealership tech held down the fan on/off button and it went away. Very disappointing for a car with very low miles.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:58 PM
technivoro.us
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm, no idea! Will ask the dealer about it. Does this cause buzzing at a certain RPM in other 991 cars?
No, it’s more of a squeak over bumps. The fix in those cars was to put a foam pad between the tank and firewall. Haven’t noticed this on my GT3.

Quick Reply: Unconquerable buzzing sound in or behind dash at 4K RPM