Sponsored by:

Dual 991 GT3 & 981 GT4 Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 09:56 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
One of the things I like most about the GT4 is it feels so naturally controllable. On the track it feels smaller, lighter, and more talkative. The GT4 is scalpel precise. The GT3 is a nuclear-powered sledgehammer.

The GT4 is the more forgiving car. You can drive it like an oafish brute and the combination of mid engine and balanced power gives you a huge safety net. The GT3 will not hesitate to bite if you get choppy with throttle or steering inputs (particularly when it comes to autocross when all the nannies are deactivated).

The track is a different story. The GT3 is an animal and I am way faster in the GT3 at the track. Entirely different experiences. Whatever I ask the GT4 to do it does, and the sensation is like I'm really involved and doing it myself. The GT3 is exhilarating in a completely different manner. To a certain degree at my skill level I'm always terrified in the GT3. But in a good way. I don't yet feel as connected to the GT3 as the GT4 in terms of feeling like I'm telling the car what to do. In the GT4 I feel like the car does exactly what I want and tells me in real time and with plenty of warning I might need to change some of my inputs. Meanwhile, in the GT3 it's more a matter of the car saying, "OK buddy, don't lose your ***** because we're doing this ****."

Put another way, this would be an example of what is going through my mind after a great heat at the track.

GT4: I am a driving god. No one has ever had more control of their car. It is an extension of me.

GT3: Jesus f***ing Christ how am I alive? My time was what?!
You NAILED it!
Old 10-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Pyrat2
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Sold my GT4 for a 991.2 GT3. GT4 was a more practical all around car. Trunk plus frunk. Loved the engine in my ears. GT3 9k redline...what can I say. The GT4 was more balanced and I felt better connected to it than the GT3. The GT4 excels on tighter tracks. Big HP tracks like Road America will have the GT3 leaving the GT4 in the dust. Got my name on the 4RS list hoping for the best of both.
The following users liked this post:
josephvman (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:44 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
Current 991.2 GT3 owner and former GT4 owner.
Same here.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:45 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 129 Posts

This pretty much sums it up, and I went from my GT4 to a .2 GT3 manual. The engine in the GT3 is just so staggering in throttle response, delivery, and sound that it just overwhelms all of the things that the GT4 does better than the GT3, and there are a few in my opinion. I liked the size of the GT4, and the body control driving fast on twisty farm roads that have a lot of subtle bumps and rough pavement is much better, probably due to the lighter weight, narrower track, and better balance. The tall gearing on the GT4 hurt the performance, but it was fun to keep it in second on the street and be able to go from barely walking speed to 90mph. The GT4 gearbox, at least mine, shifted with a bit less friction. The dual trunks are just awesome to have if you actually use it as a car. At some point I think I'll end up with a 718 Spyder, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up anything I have now to get one.

Originally Posted by Pyrat2
Sold my GT4 for a 991.2 GT3. GT4 was a more practical all around car. Trunk plus frunk. Loved the engine in my ears. GT3 9k redline...what can I say. The GT4 was more balanced and I felt better connected to it than the GT3. The GT4 excels on tighter tracks. Big HP tracks like Road America will have the GT3 leaving the GT4 in the dust. Got my name on the 4RS list hoping for the best of both.
AlexCeres (10-19-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 06:06 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

I testdrove GT4 981 before buying 991.2 GT3 manual.
I liked everything in GT4 except for insufficient power and therefore went with GT3.

Is 718 GT4 significant improvement in power delivery over 981?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:45 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

Also went from GT4 to MT 991.2 GT3. Loved the GT4. But don’t miss it at all. Would have been great to have both. I drive them mostly in the track so I am pretty sure the GT3 would be my choice most of the time if I had both. But cant. So GT3 it is and couldnt be happier.

Been considering the GT4 clubsport though as it seems to be a perfect mix for the track. But the convenience of a street car is still hard to beat.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:13 AM
Longi
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I still own both, and can’t get myself to sell either. Everything written above is true - the GT4 is a wonderful package held back by a good-not-great engine, tall gearing and some understeer; the GT3 has a fantastic powerplant and interesting dynamics.

On the track, the GT4 never feels fast but it is friendlier at the limit. The GT3, on the other hand, demands respect and can send you in an embarrassing tangle of over- and understeer:

On the road, the GT4 is more interactive and the manual ‘box adds to the experience. Tall gearing is less of an issue on the road, too, and it can be driven at 10 tenths. The GT3 shines through its exhilarating multi-layered engine experience, and it’s superbly suspended. But on twisty bits you can’t drive it *****-out without getting into silly dangerous speeds.

If I had to choose one, it would be the GT3. But I would miss the GT4.

PS: the two have exactly the same specs, from color to interior and LWBs. I’m not the creative type, it seems

AlexCeres (10-19-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 01:52 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

The GT4 was a good car. The manual was fantastic. Road feel and sound awesome. It sucked on the local roads here though. Small bumps on the road killed me. The GT3 on the other hand is much more compliant on bad roads and the engine is to die for!
Old 10-17-2020, 02:58 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Longi
I still own both, and can’t get myself to sell either. Everything written above is true - the GT4 is a wonderful package held back by a good-not-great engine, tall gearing and some understeer; the GT3 has a fantastic powerplant and interesting dynamics.

On the track, the GT4 never feels fast but it is friendlier at the limit. The GT3, on the other hand, demands respect and can send you in an embarrassing tangle of over- and understeer: https://youtu.be/zTvEw-Mbzv4?t=6m0s

On the road, the GT4 is more interactive and the manual ‘box adds to the experience. Tall gearing is less of an issue on the road, too, and it can be driven at 10 tenths. The GT3 shines through its exhilarating multi-layered engine experience, and it’s superbly suspended. But on twisty bits you can’t drive it *****-out without getting into silly dangerous speeds.

If I had to choose one, it would be the GT3. But I would miss the GT4.

PS: the two have exactly the same specs, from color to interior and LWBs. I’m not the creative type, it seems

Hi, I notice you appear to have some fluid leaking on the GT4 behind the wheel well and on the rocker. I had a similar issue and it was windscreen washer fluid. I traced it to a break in the fluid pipe near the frunk hinge.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:37 PM
Trakdaym3
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I have a 991.1 GT3 RS and 981 GT4
mind shedding some light on the Clubsport? im actually in the market for one, how does it stack up to lets say a street GT3 RS or GT3.... Thank you
Old 10-19-2020, 01:22 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Trakdaym3
mind shedding some light on the Clubsport? im actually in the market for one, how does it stack up to lets say a street GT3 RS or GT3.... Thank you
You might find this thread of interest: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...clubsport.html

Old 10-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Trakdaym3
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zedcat
You might find this thread of interest: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...clubsport.html
All i have to say is.....Thank you!, so much great info in that thread... and its amazing how easy it is to maintain the GT4 Club. Im on a hunt and i can say its time to sell my BMW track cars.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Longi
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Hi, I notice you appear to have some fluid leaking on the GT4 behind the wheel well and on the rocker. I had a similar issue and it was windscreen washer fluid. I traced it to a break in the fluid pipe near the frunk hinge.
Thanks, this is very useful. Will get it checked.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:47 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Longi
Thanks, this is very useful. Will get it checked.
It's a five minute fix to replace the hose for someone that has done it before. Just had to have it done on my GT4 and GTS. My indy keeps the hoses in stock and didn't even charge me for them. If you want to do it yourself the hose is about $22 and it will probably take you 10-15 minutes the first time.

I'll note it doesn't necessarily have to be a broken hose. You can't really see the fill level of the wiper fluid reservoir. This means if it gets too full and you drive aggressively it will spill over and leave the exact marks you are seeing. That's why you can see the same marks on a brand new car.

A quick (but not definitive) test to see if you have a broken hose is to attempt to clean the windshield with your wipers. Does the fluid spray out of the nozzles properly? If so it is probably just overflow. If the wiper fluid shoots out the left side of your frunk and/or barely out of the driver size nozzle you know with certainty it is a bad hose.

Last edited by CaymanSinAR; 10-20-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by slipaway37
Good Day,
Curious if any 2014 model year 991 GT3 owner's also own the 2016 981 GT4?
I am fortunate to own both, and the 991 GT3 is a very new addition.
Would like to speak with one or more dual owners if possible via PM.

Thanks in advance, and I sincerely appreciate any feedback
We currently have those cars, lots of road and track miles in each.

IMO, the GT4 is more fun to drive on the road because of the manual shifting and the GT3 being too capable for the road.

On the track, I enjoy the GT3 more. The GT4 is easier to drive up to 8/10ths, but beyond 8/10ths the GT4 handling is inferior to the GT3 unless substantial setup changes are made to the GT4.
AlexCeres (10-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Dual 991 GT3 & 981 GT4 Owners?