Sponsored by:

Tractive DDA RT coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 01:44 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
I've run the Tractive Suspension for a full track season on my 991.2 GT3 RS with the 130/200 springs.

I run mostly Hoosier R7's. I have kept all my data and video and have compared it to my times and data from the year before at the same tracks.

In general, it took me 2-3 months to trust the car and make adjustments in my driving style, sway bar settings, and aero adjustments.

Before I give my feedback - the bottom line is that apples to apples - same tires - same tracks - same driver - I was ultimately 3 - 4 seconds faster per lap consistently at a long track (Watkins Glen) and 2 - 2.5 seconds faster at shorter tracks such as (NJMP).

In all cases - I beat my best former best track times at all the tracks with all other variables being similar as to before the suspension upgrade. An additionally benefit is that tire wear was more consistent. I basically felt much more comfortable in the car.

Improvements:

- braking zones - even bumpy areas - felt more composed
- curbing - at first I didn't trust the car because of the firmer springs - however, later, I proved in the data that I could carry more speed through the apex curbing
- corner entry - this is where the car really shines - less roll - more stability - nose points decidedly where you aim
- Apex - make sure that you're on power aggressively to take advantage and transfer the load

Cautions:

- I experimented all season with sway bar adjustments and ended up right back to my original set-up (middle / middle) for the best lap times.
- When I applied more rear bar (full stiff or 1 rear side full stiff and the other in the middle) I induced too much early corner entry oversteer - in both high and low speed turns.
- Full stiff rear did get me to point the front of the car better and quicker - and I could straighten any oversteer by applying more throttle - but the data clearly demonstrated that this did not generate the fastest lap times (I looked like a "drifter" on the track).

Cool Stuff:

- The car has a very low aggressive stance
- The compliance is amazing - even in the "bumpy" areas on track
- No surprises in the brake zones
- Curbs (what curbs?) I don't even fell them but occasionally get airborne (entry to the "bus stop" at the Glen),
- Very little appreciable body roll - didn't have to wait for the car / suspension to take a "set"
- Get to full throttle earlier
- the dampers compensate for increased aero loads in real time
- very good ride around town

Noise:

- front helper spring gets bound up on the strut mount when unloaded at very low speeds over bumps on the street

Other Pro's:

- having Tom at TPC provide continued guidance and support as needed!

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a great abs detailed response. It sounds like you are really dialed into your car abs how it handles.

I bet you enjoyed writing the review above as it helped you relive the best parts of this season. I can tell you, like me, may be addicted to the curves on the circuits.

Can you speak more about the street use and your experience there as well. I will only be able to drive my car 1-2 times a month (June to October) on the track and the rest of the time will be spend doing normal dad and work things around town.

I left out that I put inter tires on my car... and would want to set the suspension height at stock (-20mm) or maybe somewhere between (-20 and -30mm) and leave the threaded collars there. I am not one for raising and lowering. Any issues with running the dda coil overs in the winter ?

With regards to your review... basically everything you wrote there can be said for the dsc module itself as this is my current experience with just the module installation apples-to-apples comparison.

You really do have to get your head around "trusting" the technology. But once you trust it is great!!! Words cannot describe how intuitive the tech is abs how hard you can lean on the tires.

Last edited by Rapter; 11-14-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:09 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

You can run increased spring rates with the Tractive suspension and have a better street ride compared to the same spring rates on the stock dampeners & DSC controller as the tractive units react quicker and have a wider dampening range than OEM. So you can keep "more of the cake and eat it too" as far as a street/track setup goes IMHO.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:26 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

I ran the car my first season with just the DSC module and appreciated the significant improvement in car control dynamics and improved ride.

Around town was much improved.

With the Tractive you can just use the "soft" normal suspension program and you'll love the ride. It's very hooked up.

I've run snow tires every year no problem.

In terms of lowering - the stance looks perfect. No rubbing at all. The position of the strut mount is very adjustable and won't create any issues.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:01 PM
Rapter
Racer

I ran the car my first season with just the DSC module and appreciated the significant improvement in car control dynamics and improved ride.

Around town was much improved.

With the Tractive you can just use the "soft" normal suspension program and you'll love the ride. It's very hooked up.

I've run snow tires every year no problem.

In terms of lowering - the stance looks perfect. No rubbing at all. The position of the strut mount is very adjustable and won't create any issues.
any annoying suspension noises ?
any issues with the ride height adjuster threading getting/ becoming seized following winter use (eg. Salt and grime?) ?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:50 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

No problem adjusting ride height. Easy to rotate the rings and lock in place. I've done that a few times.

There is an occasional noise if the helper spring perch gets unloaded over a pot hole or uneven road surface if you're going really slow.

Otherwise, the suspension is very compliant - like "wafting" along town in your RR.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:32 PM
Rapter
Racer

No problem adjusting ride height. Easy to rotate the rings and lock in place. I've done that a few times.

There is an occasional noise if the helper spring perch gets unloaded over a pot hole or uneven road surface if you're going really slow.

Otherwise, the suspension is very compliant - like "wafting" along town in your RR.
really appreciate your responses. Will work with my local shop to order a set for the upcoming season.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:00 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

You might want to consider a spring upgrade when you order. Even if you are not tracking stiffer springs improve the car without a huge hit to the overall street ride.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:35 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

I've run the Tractive Suspension for a full track season on my 991.2 GT3 RS with the 130/200 springs.

- having Tom at TPC provide continued guidance and support as needed!
Congrats, they are big boy springs.

Were you on 100/160 Prior?

I’m in 100/150 Tractive. Thinking maybe 120/170 next?
Old 12-15-2021, 12:57 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Would luv to hear a kw, msc comparison... i luv the active nature of these.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:05 PM
AnthonyGan
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
Would luv to hear a kw, msc comparison... i luv the active nature of these.
when it’s time, I definitely wanna go mcs! I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about them!
Old 12-15-2021, 01:09 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGan
when it’s time, I definitely wanna go mcs! I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about them!
Yeah, ive heard many kw peoples switching to MCS for greater adjustability range, quality and ease of service in north america.
The following 2 users liked this post by M3the01:
AnthonyGan (12-15-2021), Seth Thomas (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 02:37 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Despite looking and asking a lot of people solid data has been really hard to come by with the Tractive damper setup both vs stock and vs DSC w/ stock dampers (even with other cars/platforms other than Porsche). With KW/MCS/3/4 adjustable kits, seems like over a 2 mile track can improve lap times by about 1.5 ish secs based on several who run manual adjustable dampers. The fact that Tractive also sells motorsport dampers with a remote reservoir with manual high speed and low speed compression adjustment suggests that the semi-active nature of the Tractive DDA R&T dampers has some limitations. Having said that, the appeal of Tractive is the simplicity (install, setting, reversibility) and cost. Would imagine 4 way MCS or KW is going to be pushing $14k and if TracTive gets 80% of this performance delta, might be a better performance value.

Last edited by FogCitySF; 12-15-2021 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyGan (12-15-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:16 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Do we really need a remote reservoir damper when one is running 20 minute HPDE sessions?
Old 12-16-2021, 02:47 PM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Do we really need a remote reservoir damper when one is running 20 minute HPDE sessions?
You don't. The point I was making was that because Tractive sells a kit that includes reservoirs with manual adjustment, it means that the semi-active DDA R&T dampers have some limitations in terms of damping capability (ie why the need for manual adjustment for high speed and low speed compression). Otherwise, all damping can be achieved electronically by the DDA kit without the need for manual adjustment via reservoirs.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
No. Factory race cars such as 997, 991, and 992 Cup cars don't have remote canister dampers.
On modern day dampers there's really two main reasons for having remote canister, 1) the design of a damper to fit a particular application where the damper body length doesn't have enough space to house the divider piston to the intended operating damper stroke, thus the divider piston needs to be relocated to a remote location, 2) on mechanically-adjusted dampers a manifold(a distribution point) is needed to house compression metering valve(s) and dial(s), having the valve(s) and dial(s) on the canister is ideal to control the fluid flow to the divider piston.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Quick Reply: Tractive DDA RT coilover review