Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory paint defects on GT cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 12:32 PM
RDM2418
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

I've had a number of them with paint problems - trash in paint, discoloration. PTS = more problems on my cars. Detailer fixed some of them and usually in hard to see places.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:42 PM
joezippoli
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marv
I would keep on working with PCNA and insist that they take this up another level. Ask to speak to their supervisor if necessary.

I thought that Porsche painted their cars by machine (robot) and it seems unlikely that the workmanship shown in the pictures is representative of a machine. At the least you are entitled to a full explanation of why this happened.
Originally Posted by joezippoli
Thanks for the input guys. The dealer
Originally Posted by Bxstr
You said newly purchased. Want to confirm you're the first owner? If not, is it possible that someone had it repaired prior to your purchase.

But that looks more like a port or dealer repair, but probably a dealer repair. I wouldn't necessarily trust the dealer to be transparent on something like this.

Someone else can chime in but PTS cars may also have more defects than a standard color?
Yes original owner purchased with 20 miles on odometer
Old 09-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer claims '0- knowledge of the repair which is possible. When they reached out to the Florida PCNA rep he said the car was only at the Jacksonville port for under 24 hours. Which is hard to believe, on the other hand ports have body shops running 24/7.
It was PCNA that replied back saying the bumper was carbon fiber and therefore painted by 2 different departments? I requested it be escalated, they said it was already run thru the top people in Germany and that was there decision,.
I suggested they reach back out to Germany as I don't think I should have a bumper showing 2 different colors. I plan on driving the car limited, if it goes to auction 10 years from now and someone sees this work it will devalue the car, compared to one that is original.
I still have a 997.1 rs purchased new as well as a pts turbo cab 997.1 had a gt4 new. None had issues like this.
Luckily it's on a plastic bumper. That should have much less impact to resale than on a metal panel.
The following users liked this post:
cscrogham (09-08-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer claims '0- knowledge of the repair which is possible. When they reached out to the Florida PCNA rep he said the car was only at the Jacksonville port for under 24 hours. Which is hard to believe, on the other hand ports have body shops running 24/7.
It was PCNA that replied back saying the bumper was carbon fiber and therefore painted by 2 different departments? I requested it be escalated, they said it was already run thru the top people in Germany and that was there decision,.
I suggested they reach back out to Germany as I don't think I should have a bumper showing 2 different colors. I plan on driving the car limited, if it goes to auction 10 years from now and someone sees this work it will devalue the car, compared to one that is original.
I still have a 997.1 rs purchased new as well as a pts turbo cab 997.1 had a gt4 new. None had issues like this.
So we're talking about a Florida dealer, ..... that explains a lot.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:36 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

That's a lot of different spots that were repainted. Would be difficult to have damage in that many areas during shipping.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

My Purple RS was taken to the back for a couple hours when I showed up and pointed out 3 giant paint runs, they polished the **** out of it and it looked half OK by the time I left for the Ring..
Old 09-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

That sucks and keep pushing for resolve. Just looked over my PTS Speedster and paint was very good, and all fenders underneath look good also not what you’re seeing. Somethings not right for sure.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:29 PM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by malmasri
Porsche finish quality is not flawless, especially after the diesel settlement, they have sent cars with defects including limited production high price tag cars.
I had a trunk cover replaced on a GT2RS on delivery due to defective finish. I couldn’t believe that they let the car leave the factory in that condition.
They also do get damage during transportation to the port, and they will get repaired without the dealers notification’ except for car being delayed. I have ordered plenty of them and have seen it all.
Originally Posted by Maverick787
That sucks and keep pushing for resolve. Just looked over my PTS Speedster and paint was very good, and all fenders underneath look good also not what you’re seeing. Somethings not right for sure.
Thanks for the input as per above I agree with most of you. Hard to believe they would call this factory normal. Hard to believe the dealer would not step up.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:00 PM
bulldog_YYC
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the input as per above I agree with most of you. Hard to believe they would call this factory normal. Hard to believe the dealer would not step up.
They are obviously trying to frustrate you to just give up as they obviously don't think you value your investment.
That is a shoddy repair and I am certainly no expert but that is completely unacceptable for ANY car, let alone a Speedster with that price tag.
Would start thinking about legal options to help push things in the right direction if these clowns dont help.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:24 AM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My Purple RS was taken to the back for a couple hours when I showed up and pointed out 3 giant paint runs, they polished the **** out of it and it looked half OK by the time I left for the Ring..
I see you are in South Florida, did you have this issue at Champion or Porsche West Broward? Thanks
Old 09-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

I would get a paint meter that can handle plastic/carbon substrate and run it over the whole car. Will be easy to see where it has been overpainted then there should be zero argument from PCNA. I take one with me every time I inspect a car. Its amazing what rubbish you find.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:53 AM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I would get a paint meter that can handle plastic/carbon substrate and run it over the whole car. Will be easy to see where it has been overpainted then there should be zero argument from PCNA. I take one with me every time I inspect a car. Its amazing what rubbish you find.
thanks I was told meters only measure the entire depth of paint and substrate. I.e. if hood is thicker than bumper
Old 09-07-2020, 05:38 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 956 Posts

I have gone through a process similar to this, another brand car, but very limited production, CF everywhere, hand assembly etc. After 6-7 months of lots of back and forth, escalation, lots of field reps looking at the car, even engineers coming from the plant, the only satisfactory outcome was a full buy back.

I cannot give you specifics of my case. But trust me when I tell you this : if this type of stuff bothers you, you will never ever be happy with any resolution the dealer, the north america, even the factory can offer you. Even if they sent you brand new bumper/panels from germany, the paint will not match. Even if they paint them in the factory for you (which they wont), the paint will again not match. The only way to truly have a satisfactory outcome of any situation like this is by purely assembling another car, paint work all being done together at the same time, same temperature/humidity/drying conditions.

I have learned so much through my ordeal that I will never buy a car without properly vetting it.

And also, the more people look at this car (from dealer/porsche/detailer etc), the more problems you will have. Every time a person touches/tries to fix/tries to see how bad/etc is the issue, the worse they will make. The more people sit/drive/handle your car, the worse it will be. Nobody will take care of your car like you do.

Hard realities of life. So either accept the car for what it is and dont mess with it. Or go for full buyback route and do not stop until its gone out of your hands and you get the check in return. Been there done that.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I agree with it being a sloppy repair. it looks like a Macco paint job or for those of us (old enough to remember LOL) the Earl Scheib $99.95 drive thru paint job. These cars are perfection that is what we are paying for. The Speedster was $380k out the door,.

I find it perplexing that Porsche would say this is normal quality due to bumpers being carbon fiber and painted by hand in multiple departments. The other panels are carbon fiber and are flawless.

Cant even get the General Manger or Service manger at the selling South Florida Dealership on the phone wont return calls or voicemails. When you buy a car they are super concerned about the CSI report you give. As I would assume they would step up to the plate.
can you notice the paint issues on the seeable surfaces, or mainly underneath parts? Can you send a pic of the entire car?
Old 09-07-2020, 08:05 PM
joezippoli
AutoX

Originally Posted by Maverick787
can you notice the paint issues on the seeable surfaces, or mainly underneath parts? Can you send a pic of the entire car?
I agree replacement would be best but car is out of production so not possible. And yes the dark color is visible

Quick Reply: Factory paint defects on GT cars?