Sponsored by:

Wing = trouble ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 12:10 AM
Boomasta
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lloyd_christmas
It’s the wing. The reason Tourings are holding value better is because they incorporate the NPV of all of the tickets you are going to get with the wing.
​​​​​​​

Thanks for the good laugh, haha

Last edited by Boomasta; 09-05-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:34 AM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by secondtimer
Yes I am inclined to think that it is 50% bad luck and 50% wing. Just going to drive it at the posted speed limit from now on unless backroad.
Dude it's not the wing. Relax. I've gotten more tickets in my non-winged cars than my winged cars. The difference is I am more aware in my winged car, and know you can hear it 100 miles away.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:39 AM
secondtimer
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Enprimeur
For People’s Republic of NCal it’s worth looking into joining 11-99 Foundation if you haven’t already. It has helped me many times in similar situations.
I have been a member for 10 years and donate annually. I would say it varies from officer to officer. I have gotten some breaks. However, it didn't help me in the last encounter even though i was very respectful and discreet about the 11-99 membership.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:45 AM
secondtimer
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
Dude it's not the wing. Relax. I've gotten more tickets in my non-winged cars than my winged cars. The difference is I am more aware in my winged car, and know you can hear it 100 miles away.
Amen. I got Sharkwerk exhaust in mine and it is not easy.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:41 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy way to know if it’s the wing or not, try not speeding or using your phone while driving and see if you still get arrested.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but if you’re arrested while breaking the law, it probably is because you were breaking the law? Sorry I feel like a smart *** this morning. 😁

Generally cops like to spend their time efficiently. Arresting someone doing 20mph over or texting is a good waste of their time. Don’t be a good waste of their time. Be aware some people are jealous of your car (cops included). Always be nice to the officer. But the wing is not the problem. It’s not a tricked out Civic. Cops know their cars.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Funny comments, but in all seriousness a 911 in general is going to stand out from most other cars. A special winged version is going to stand out even more. Going 15 over seals the deal.
The following users liked this post:
secondtimer (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 11:58 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The cellphone pullover was probably mandatory for the police officer. Many police departments don't leave it up to the officer's discretion.

That makes the other case a study of sample size 1.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:00 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 601 Posts

you need to move out of the area , 15 miles above speed limit is nothing
I do that almost 100 % of the time on main roads and mostly 25 miles above
only do 5-10 above in residential areas or in some congested roads where I feel the speed limit actually sometime is too high for the the conditions
Old 09-05-2020, 01:29 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

You need to move to California brother.. With your car in the SF Bay Area, it would border on unusable and constitute a direct challenge to the authority of LE.
Thanks but no. We still have a whiff of liberty here in Brevard county (Space Coast) Florida. The cops don't really seem to care about vehicles outside of their usual speed trap duties which are fairly sparse and in well documented locations....as long as you putt along at 39 in the 35's you can get pretty sporty here in other locations with a small probability of being noticed. I pretty regularly run up into triple digits going over the causeways, the trick is to do it on the runups and stand on the PCCB's so you are around the speed limit when you make the crest...also down around MLB where all the defense contractors are the roads are pretty wide open and the police seem to treat that as a no go area, and then you have A1A in front of Patrick AFB runway, which is technically AFB property but the MP's don't patrol it and the BCSO is rarely there, I have approached 200 mph there. I have been to Cali (both Palmdale and Sunnyvale) a number of times for work, beautiful topography, but no way I could live there.
bulldog_YYC (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
you need to move out of the area , 15 miles above speed limit is nothing
I do that almost 100 % of the time on main roads and mostly 25 miles above
only do 5-10 above in residential areas or in some congested roads where I feel the speed limit actually sometime is too high for the the conditions
Come to Seattle - the laws no longer apply and police are being defunded. I drive out of town to buy a Pepsi and avoid Seattle city soda tax, so believe me I know !
(Note: I still abide by the "illegal straws" ordinance)
Drifting (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 03:15 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Really nice black GT3 !
Thank you sir! I miss the graphics.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:44 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 119 Posts

Don't think it's the wing, it is the driver. You need to be aware of your surrounding, look in the mirror often when you are more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Always have a radar detector, and pay attention before you get to an overpass or freeway on ramp as there's where the cops lurk. And if you are going to go fast, go faster than 80 MPH as CHP's don't go faster than 80 unless they are in pursuit, so once you are doing over 80, you only need to watch the front and the sky for helicopters.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:12 AM
secondtimer
Advanced

Originally Posted by darth g-f
Easy way to know if it’s the wing or not, try not speeding or using your phone while driving and see if you still get arrested.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but if you’re arrested while breaking the law, it probably is because you were breaking the law? Sorry I feel like a smart *** this morning. 😁

Generally cops like to spend their time efficiently. Arresting someone doing 20mph over or texting is a good waste of their time. Don’t be a good waste of their time. Be aware some people are jealous of your car (cops included). Always be nice to the officer. But the wing is not the problem. It’s not a tricked out Civic. Cops know their cars.
You are right. I am going to try your recommendation. No speeding and no cell phone while driving.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:23 AM
secondtimer
Advanced

Originally Posted by bli8
Don't think it's the wing, it is the driver. You need to be aware of your surrounding, look in the mirror often when you are more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Always have a radar detector, and pay attention before you get to an overpass or freeway on ramp as there's where the cops lurk. And if you are going to go fast, go faster than 80 MPH as CHP's don't go faster than 80 unless they are in pursuit, so once you are doing over 80, you only need to watch the front and the sky for helicopters.
I appreciate your advice all very sensible but think I will skip the "go faster than 80 MPH as CHP's don't go faster than 80...." part as I am too chicken to test the CHP.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:40 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Don't think it's the wing, it is the driver. You need to be aware of your surrounding, look in the mirror often when you are more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Always have a radar detector, and pay attention before you get to an overpass or freeway on ramp as there's where the cops lurk.
this is good advice

And if you are going to go fast, go faster than 80 MPH as CHP's don't go faster than 80 unless they are in pursuit, so once you are doing over 80, you only need to watch the front and the sky for helicopters.
this is not good advice

Quick Reply: Wing = trouble ?