Sponsored by:

4K+ RPM noise culprit: buzzing ash tray / coin cubby

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020 | 06:39 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Lightbulb Here's an idea

Try using some very thin double-sided 3M tape (e.g., the thin stuff used on emblems) around the perimeter of where the coin box sits in its recepticle. That should keep it from moving at all.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
After nearly two years of chasing down the buzzing/rattling sound that appeared to be coming from the rear of the car at 4K RPM and above, the dealer and I finally figured out it’s actually the little plastic coin cubby in the center console! When it is firmly pressed down, the noise goes away.

The problem is that they can’t figure out a permanent fix. They tried putting some felt tape around it, but apparently this is only partially effective.

Anyway, I know a bunch of us have been trying to identify this particular annoying sound and wanted to share the discovery. Also, I’m hoping someone else may have figured out how to get rid of it . . .

Last edited by Matrog; 08-14-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2020 | 08:06 AM
Aic9199
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M3nomore
Several of us have identified the ac control panel as the source and had it replaced under warranty.
was your buzzing noise coming from the dash? I’ve got this noise that appears to be coming from under the chrono clock. Even when I try to press down on it the noise does not abate. The dealer opened up the dash and could not locate the problem, told me they put in some damper material. Drove home and it seems to be louder. Dealer also told me this is not covered under the CPO (mine is a ‘14 .1).

I’m considering taking it to my local shop and have them try to fix it, as it drives me crazy. On the track I can’t hear it due to my helmet and also running Soul modular 3-1 exhaust. But I don’t live on the track, unfortunately!
The following users liked this post:
cox1974 (08-15-2020)
Old 03-12-2021 | 02:01 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Alright guys—not sure anyone else is still having this issue, but I think my dealer my have found the solution.

There is a plastic sensor for the key fob underneath the armrest storage compartment. It jostles around and produces a rattle that becomes audible around 4K RPM. The dealer put some felt around it. We went for a 15 minute road test—now the rattle is gone!

Fingers crossed—these things tend to come back later.
The following 2 users liked this post by mafoofan:
CPTAmericaMV (04-01-2021), pak (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021 | 03:53 PM
HRJ
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 49 Posts

I just had this issue resolved at Porsche North Houston. Buzzing noise above 4K. I could open the armrest and press the plastic down right behind the coin cubby and it stopped. Not sure what they did to fix it, but it’s gone and I’m very thankful. It was driving me crazy.

My engine sounds like it has 15 heat shields rattling around at idle, but they said THAT noise is normal. Guess I’ll learn to live with that one.
cox1974 (03-12-2021)
Old 04-01-2021 | 01:24 AM
991drvr
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HRJ
I just had this issue resolved at Porsche North Houston. Buzzing noise above 4K. I could open the armrest and press the plastic down right behind the coin cubby and it stopped. Not sure what they did to fix it, but it’s gone and I’m very thankful. It was driving me crazy.

My engine sounds like it has 15 heat shields rattling around at idle, but they said THAT noise is normal. Guess I’ll learn to live with that one.
HRJ, can you tell me the technician or service advisor you went to there? I am about to check mine in there for the exact same buzzing issue of the coin tray.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2021 | 10:34 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 991drvr
HRJ, can you tell me the technician or service advisor you went to there? I am about to check mine in there for the exact same buzzing issue of the coin tray.

Thanks in advance
See my above comment. I initially thought my noise was related to the area around the coin cubby as well. I could press down on the cubby or the plastic around it and somewhat suppress the rattle/buzz.

However, it turned out the real source was the key fob sensor box underneath the armrest storage. It shakes around and produces a rattle/buzz that becomes audible around 4K RPM. After the technician put felt around it, the noise went away. It’s been about 500 miles and the sound is yet come back.
Old 04-01-2021 | 12:40 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HRJ

Everytime I go for service I bring that up and they tell me its normal every time lol

Alright guys—not sure anyone else is still having this issue, but I think my dealer my have found the solution.

There is a plastic sensor for the key fob underneath the armrest storage compartment. It jostles around and produces a rattle that becomes audible around 4K RPM. The dealer put some felt around it. We went for a 15 minute road test—now the rattle is gone!

I think you are on to something here...Ive taken it in 5x for this sound, it hasnt been fixed yet. I will advise them to look here and revert thanks man
Old 04-01-2021 | 02:01 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

OOOOHHHHH boy! this sounds EXACTLY where mine comes from. and its always between 4-5K i will check on this! TIA!
Old 04-01-2021 | 04:32 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

lol, sorry for being a dick but this reminds me of the Jeep CJ Wrangler forum I was in when I had a beater Beach Jeep ..the consensus over there was just turn up the radio. My GT2 is rattle free...though she does hop around a little when she goes airborne
Old 04-02-2021 | 08:08 AM
HRJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991drvr

Thanks in advance
Jon Gosling is my advisor. He’s done a good job every time I’ve dropped the car with him.
Old 04-02-2021 | 08:09 AM
HRJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
lol, sorry for being a dick but this reminds me of the Jeep CJ Wrangler forum I was in when I had a beater Beach Jeep ..the consensus over there was just turn up the radio. My GT2 is rattle free...though she does hop around a little when she goes airborne
Good for you. Now **** off.
CPTAmericaMV (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021 | 11:04 AM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
rattle free but sounds like a vacuum cleaner...ill take the rattles
Old 04-02-2021 | 12:57 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Mind sharing a pic? Any chance we can DIY?

Thank you! I have the exact same rattle/buzz!

Last edited by Chris-911; 04-02-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2021 | 12:57 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine is doing the buzzing around ac controls. Found a thread from a member that took it apart and made it buzz free. Going to do it to mine this weekend. It’s so weird how much vibration this engine causes around 4K rpm... I had a lot of high revving cars before... never made the whole interior feel like I’m sitting on electric toothbrush.
Old 04-03-2021 | 09:08 PM
awu
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the buzzing from the ac controls also. Took me a while to isolate it. Replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply: 4K+ RPM noise culprit: buzzing ash tray / coin cubby