Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trail braking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

First DE? Or first DE in a GT2RS at Sebring?
Old 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
First DE? Or first DE in a GT2RS at Sebring?
First DE...and it will be in my GT2 RS at Sebring...sounds like fun, huh?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
First DE...and it will be in my GT2 RS at Sebring...sounds like fun, huh?
Nice - I put that in the same category of Sampelligrino whose first ever lap on a track was in his new GT3 on the Nordschleife
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 12:21 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Trailbraking is necessary to be fast in a 991 just like in any other traditionally-setup car. As has been said, it's a much finer process now than in older models, but I do not think it's RWS-related - it's more about 991 being more like a mid-engined car, which reward very gentle trailbraking too. Think of it as braking to adjust the line rather than to lose the speed. Most corners you need to cover the brake with the slightest force almost all the way to the apex, but it's not really braking to slow down. It's not really "counterintuitive" or working the electronics - it's actually closer to other cars, particularly non-abs cars, where trailbraking has to be super-light. Just look the video linked above starting at about 2:06 - the same super-light brake pressure all the way to the apex in a completely mechanical Radical.

Overlapping the throttle with the brake is not needed. What it essentially accomplishes is shifting brake bias forward dynamically (because throttle defeats rear brake) and thus buying more rear grip on demand. It's helpful if the car is unstable at turn-in or midcorner due to suspension or diff quirks, but electronic diff allows to have these quirks dialed out. Also, 991 delays/smoothens closing of the throttle just a little, reducing the need for two-footed driving.
This is a really well-articulated description thanks. It look me a while to figure out the type of trail braking needed in the R/R 911 was very different from the trail braking I was used to in F/R vehicles, which was used to rotate the car more in a heavy braking zone.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:43 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

A good way to visualize and practice trail braking at home is to watch a pro and move your foot to match the brake applied in the video as you watch. Turn the sound up because that will also give you cues. There's a rhythm.

I think for something like rallying, left foot braking is a must (I've only done a couple rally crosses), but it's not as important on a circuit. In the video I don't see much overlap between throttle and brake.
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
A good way to visualize and practice trail braking at home is to watch a pro and move your foot to match the brake applied in the video as you watch. Turn the sound up because that will also give you cues. There's a rhythm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGpFTJMd0k

I think for something like rallying, left foot braking is a must (I've only done a couple rally crosses), but it's not as important on a circuit. In the video I don't see much overlap between throttle and brake.
Thank you for that input.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:33 PM
T2Cruiser
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done and nice example, Yargk!

Quick Reply: Trail braking?