Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT a Happy 4th Of July for my boy

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Is he located in NJ? Body Motion in Ocean Twsp is a Porsche Certified Body Shop. Special training and expensive special equipment. They are very good. Making the repairs undetectable is the goal here - they're the people to do it.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I had something similar happen to my 10 GT3 several years ago. Quality Automotive in Cincinnati repaired it and you couldn't tell it had been repaired from the outside. The problem will be how a shop handles the stretched metal. The new length of line in the damaged areas will be longer. As such it cant go back to the original shape. So you will be left with a dimpled surface and body filler. Another issue is the zinc coating on the steel requiring sanding. Local zinc will be removed. A body shop can use a zinc rich primer to aid in corrosion resistance but it only offers a small amount of galvanic protection. Finally when it is all back together the damaged area will be suspect in another collision. The mechanical properties of the repaired section will in no way be the same as prior to the damage. And that is where you can get into the insurance company. The car was never crash tested with a panel damaged and repaired. You can also bring up the fact that the repaired area will in no way offer the same galvanic protection from rust as the original part. Of course the quarter panel could be removed, replaced and welded back in. Once again you have problems with corrosion. Also the quality of the welds. How does a body shop document the weld geometry of their spot welds? Probably couldnt tell you what a weld lobe test is.

It's a nightmare.
The following users liked this post:
KA 991 GT3 (11-03-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 334 Posts

OUCHHHHHHH. Another of my favorite spec'd GT3's taken from this world too early. RIP. Dang it..... If it isn't totally he will be reminded again of this horrible misfortune when he goes to sell it and every person in their brother brings the "minor accident" up for explanation on the carfax; and then again when he can't swing a bat fast enough at all the low ***** coming his way. It will be so bad that he will think he's hanging out at a geriatric strip club. Poor car, poor owner. So sorry.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:15 PM
Ranger520
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

People suck.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:04 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't forget there is now a diminished value on your friends GT3 it's not right he gets hit and now even after repairs car is devalued.
The other issue is the GT3 will forever have a dirty car fax so it will be harder to sell.
I only know all this because I was stopped at a redlight many years ago and a teenager texting slammed into the back of my new 650i.

Best of Luck
Ian
Old 07-07-2020, 12:13 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I had something similar happen to my 10 GT3 several years ago. Quality Automotive in Cincinnati repaired it and you couldn't tell it had been repaired from the outside. The problem will be how a shop handles the stretched metal. The new length of line in the damaged areas will be longer. As such it cant go back to the original shape. So you will be left with a dimpled surface and body filler. Another issue is the zinc coating on the steel requiring sanding. Local zinc will be removed. A body shop can use a zinc rich primer to aid in corrosion resistance but it only offers a small amount of galvanic protection. Finally when it is all back together the damaged area will be suspect in another collision. The mechanical properties of the repaired section will in no way be the same as prior to the damage. And that is where you can get into the insurance company. The car was never crash tested with a panel damaged and repaired. You can also bring up the fact that the repaired area will in no way offer the same galvanic protection from rust as the original part. Of course the quarter panel could be removed, replaced and welded back in. Once again you have problems with corrosion. Also the quality of the welds. How does a body shop document the weld geometry of their spot welds? Probably couldnt tell you what a weld lobe test is.

It's a nightmare.
Doesn’t all of the above apply to a steel chassis? The 991 chassis is aluminum. A certified Porsche Collision Center will never pull or straighten aluminum. Rather, all damaged parts are replaced.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:43 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

OP: a proper way to repair will be to cut out the whole panel, at the top from above the glass between the B and C pillars, and at the bottom at the doorsill (around where the GT3 logo sits).

This is a very involved job as you can imagine. But that's the way the factory would've done it. Do not settle for anything less.

And if you can write off the whole car on that CRV bastard's account, all the better.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:41 AM
gt3dude
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 74 Posts

Ah man!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks guys again. Appreciate all the info. I will send him the link to this thread so he can read it all.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:52 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 727 Posts

Sorry to see. Bring it to J&B Body Works in the Bronx.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:22 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 154 Posts

Based on the speed of that impact I would suspect frame damage. The still images look bad, but repairable, but when watching the video it looks like a pretty hard hit, in the worst possible place to get hit. Not to mention the car being squeezed between the CRV and the curb. Totally sucks, I feel bad for your friend. I would push to get it totaled.
fijibubba (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 02:28 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: It did miss the frame! So Driver quarter, 2 Wheels, Rear Bumper, Rear light, Front lip replacement. Ill keep you guys updated as I hear from him.

Last edited by Scottykenneth; 07-07-2020 at 06:50 PM.
fijibubba (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 02:39 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
UPDATE: It did miss the frame! So Driver quarter, 2 Wheels, Rear Bumper, Front lip replacement. Ill
keep you guys updated as I hear from him.
that's crazy. my Macan was rear ended and you genuinely couldn't see any damage and it was totaled. they quoted the work at $38,000. unfathomable this isn't totaled. i would genuinely fight to total it or go to a more expensive porsche approved shop.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:59 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 210 Posts

Sorry to see the this...how does something like this happen in broad daylight?

So what did the honda driver say? Did she acknowledge fault, apologize, etc?
Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Well I just asked him. Would you wanna fix it or rather fight to have it totaled? Said he rather fix it. Which I can understand. Has all the check marks on what he wanted in a GT3. Miami Blue/Manual/ Buckets/PCCB/LED headlights/ CF interior etc. He said he wants to keep it for a very long time. So dont blame him. Just hope it gets fixed right. And he is suing for loss of damage. The lady was supposedly very emotional and upset. Ill def keep ya guys posted as I hear more.

Last edited by Scottykenneth; 07-07-2020 at 07:59 PM.
fijibubba (07-07-2020)

Quick Reply: NOT a Happy 4th Of July for my boy