Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991.1 GT3 Owner (and first Porsche!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 PM
UGADawgFan
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
Just made the similar jump
phenomenal car
would love to hear your first impressions

https://www.instagram.com/911nuclearweapon/
Congrats to you as well! Looks like you had a 911 Turbo S Cab before? Or do you still have it?

Interestingly my brother and I were having this conversation earlier today. He wanted to know my thoughts after two weeks.

1) The car is an absolute joy to drive hard, but it's a horrible car to run errands or for date nights. I was hoping it would be slightly more dual purpose, but the sheer road noise is awful. I don't mind it when I'm by myself, but when my wife is in the car with me, having a conversation is a little tougher than I'd like. I'm hoping that when the Cup 2's wear out, Pilot Sport 4S's will help in that regard.
2) The engine is magic. Winding it out is blissful (something I'd been missing in my F80 since that engine sounds so bad). And I love looking at the car.
3) PDK is light years ahead of BMW's DCT
4) Sound package plus sound quality is garbage, will need to get this "fixed" (maybe the tweeter upgrade will help).
5) I'm finding I miss some creature comforts more than I thought I would- and I used them more than I thought I did. I don't have Bluetooth phone capability in my car, just Bluetooth audio..and I have to manually reconnect Bluetooth every time I start the car (may fix this with an aftermarket radio). Cup holders that don't spill beverages. 360 degree cameras. Memory seats. Auto dimming mirrors (especially the side mirrors).

I never planned on buying this car to do any track days (nor do I commute in it)- just fun back roads driving, but if I'm completely honest with myself...after two weeks I think it may be too hard edged for me. I may have been better off getting a 991.2 GTS or a 718 Spyder.

But again it's been a few weeks I've put a few hundred miles on it, but let's see how the next 5,000 go!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:43 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 420 Posts

Also coming from an F80, I agree with your enumerated list for the most part.

As a counter, you’re coming from dulled comfort so this may seem like a harsh car... but hey, it’s not your daily. You’ll learn to appreciate those harsh nuances eventually. It reminds me of driving my old Integra Type R’s when I was in my early 20’s, no sound deadening, hearing the rocks clang on the undercarriage and all the wonderful noises that came with wringing it out.

And yes, 4S have a noticeable impact on road noise but it’s still a loud car.

Look into the Musicar stereo upgrade, it’s on my shortlist as well. Sound Package Plus is so bad that it makes me wonder what the non-option sounds like.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks!
Indeed I kept the 991.1 TTS Cab which has a personality all on its own and is essentially the best summer car period.
My wife drives a Tesla X P100D so we can go pickup Costco forcefully.
I already know I am moderately insane but fun it is.

1) I'm in CT which has so so roads and the GT3 feels fine going to do basic grocery/Home Depot runs. Working on the parking lot paranoia but has not been an issue. I'm on the 4S and would not (for my purpose) have anything else.
2) magic. Have to find the right back roads to wind the engine properly. Exhilarating.
As it passes 4K the noise pitches and that is the first part of the insanity
Frustrating not to vit 6K-9K often enough.
But finding it Is like a good golf ball hit, something to looks forward to.
3) PDK is great.
NonS is really way too tame. Wish they had a middle PDK between Grandma and S modes.
4) interested in the Sound Fix with most impact. Same. TTS has Burmeister but of course don't want to load up the car against purpose.
5) Definitely doing the CarPlay retrofit. Only upside and stable solution. Debating running a rear camera. Have the cage to contend with.

Considering a muffler bypass but more likely to go GMG than SW as I prefer the low end and range of the former. I love the SW on the TTS and changes the car personality completely.

718 Spyder is a great car.
For me, sadly, I'm enjoying both way in which the car surprises me and force me to play well. Skilled tools.
Friend just got a GTS and it is also quite a fun and great sounding car.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:12 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m following this thread as I’d love to add a 991.1/.2 GT3/RS in the future, so very interested to read this thread and feedback

I’d imagine a 991 TTS and GT3 is a great combo and definitely an aspirational garage for me, but I still love my 991 C2S so not sure I could give it up —different trim but I find my car comfortable with just enough sportiness & tech and daily it most days, I have the 4S tires and Burmi as well for what it’s worth.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:31 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

That is heck of a first P car...going right to a GT car. I tip my hat dude. For as long as you have her enjoy your first Porsche.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM
UGADawgFan
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
I’m following this thread as I’d love to add a 991.1/.2 GT3/RS in the future, so very interested to read this thread and feedback

I’d imagine a 991 TTS and GT3 is a great combo and definitely an aspirational garage for me, but I still love my 991 C2S so not sure I could give it up —different trim but I find my car comfortable with just enough sportiness & tech and daily it most days, I have the 4S tires and Burmi as well for what it’s worth.
Same for me ..a TTS and GT3 is a perfect garage. But so is a 991 C2S and a GT3

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
That is heck of a first P car...going right to a GT car. I tip my hat dude. For as long as you have her enjoy your first Porsche.
Thanks I hope this is the first of many!

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Also coming from an F80, I agree with your enumerated list for the most part.

As a counter, you’re coming from dulled comfort so this may seem like a harsh car... but hey, it’s not your daily. You’ll learn to appreciate those harsh nuances eventually. It reminds me of driving my old Integra Type R’s when I was in my early 20’s, no sound deadening, hearing the rocks clang on the undercarriage and all the wonderful noises that came with wringing it out.

And yes, 4S have a noticeable impact on road noise but it’s still a loud car.

Look into the Musicar stereo upgrade, it’s on my shortlist as well. Sound Package Plus is so bad that it makes me wonder what the non-option sounds like.
Absolutely true- thankfully the ride in the GT3 is way more compliant than it was in my F80 (even my wife agrees).

YES! The GT3 definitely reminds me of the Integra Type R! Though it was far easier to live with the noise, vibration, harshness in my 20s than in my early 40s.

I emailed Musicar a coupe of weeks ago and didn't get a response. Are they still in business?
The following users liked this post:
vtgt (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 01:40 PM
elbala
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

could be, I got mine the begging of the year 01/2020. Got it from Porsche N Olmsted.

Quick Reply: New 991.1 GT3 Owner (and first Porsche!)