Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Aftermarket Exhaust: Yay or Nay and Why?
I like the stock exhaust - it is plenty loud for my taste.
15.38%
I modified the exhaust primarily to improve my GT car's sound.
34.62%
I modified the exhaust primarily to improve my GT car's performance.
2.56%
I modified the exhaust to improve the sound and the performance of my GT car.
32.69%
I am on the fence - I am not sure whether changing the exhaust is the right thing to do for my GT car.
14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

To Aftermarket Exhaust or Not to Aftermarket Exhaust and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Disrespectfully, you are drawing the wrong conclusions. I don't speak for others.

Nowhere did I say which was better. I said louder does not (necessarily) mean better. OP made a poll. I said stock is the way to go and that people mostly modify their street car exhausts for more attention.

This isn’t a Honda Civic. It’s the way to go for YOU not for everyone else.

To the op. I went from GMG center to now dundon street headers/stock center. I wanted both weight reduction and performance and I got it. Try out a center first. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised of the difference and just might be what your looking for. Good luck
Old 06-16-2020, 06:57 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Disrespectfully, you are drawing the wrong conclusions. I don't speak for others.

Nowhere did I say which was better. I said louder does not (necessarily) mean better. OP made a poll. I said stock is the way to go and that people mostly modify their street car exhausts for more attention.
I'm not sure about the data on the last sentence there. I am sure there are some that do, but I am going to go out on a limb here and say that most people here at least are not modifying the exhaust for more attention. I do not and do not like attention in that regard. I suspect most of us modify it because it sounds improved/enhanced/more robust/deeper/more like a Cup car to OURSELVES only and NOT to have people look at us when we drive by.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:19 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
You are not comparing apples to apples here.

Have you guys ever dyno between your race pipe non-valved vs. race pipe valved? I'm sure you are well aware of the engineering benefits behind having the electric valve (especially on the Speedster) and how valve is there to eliminate unwanted drones and pick up additional torque down low. By comparing a modified system non-valved vs. a stock valved system, you are not convincing people like me with an engineering degree.
We have, the difference down low is negligible, it's a bit of a misconception with non valved exhausts losing torque down low on these motors. Many people quote it, no one has proven it to be the case. Many have disproved it however.

Agreed not 100% apples to apples with the dyno comparison however I got the impression that you said that it was really important to keep the valves even if aftermarket, hence why I thought that comparison was relevant to your comment below?

Originally Posted by unotaz
However, having the new electric valve in place on the Speedster (if you decide to go aftermarket), is very important as the DME uses the electric valve to control torque and other factors.
I read that as "even if you go with an aftermarket exhaust it's very important to keep the electronic valves" - Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 06-16-2020, 11:12 AM
5280_GT3
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 85 Posts

I've owned my 991.2 GT3 (with wing) for a little over a month. I started with a Sharkwerks center bypass (better sound but not loud enough for my liking), moved on to a Fabspeed Race X pipe (loud as **** and makes the car SO much more fun to drive IMO) as I wait for a used JCR Titanium Race Pipe. I have aftermarket exhaust on all my cars to enhance the sound (my driving experience) and generally a little kick in power is to be expected. Win, win
The following 2 users liked this post by 5280_GT3:
azzurri (06-16-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 02:10 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

How would you even quantify the reason most people modify their exhaust is for attention?

I modified mine because I like the way it sounds better to ME. I don't really care much what others think. Besides, I live in a rural area and most of my drives are on back county roads with very little traffic or other people around. I suppose I could be impressing the cows when I drive by...
The following users liked this post:
5280_GT3 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 02:16 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 998 Likes on 433 Posts

No apologies needed. While I feel a well designed aftermarket system with better materials will provide the additional performance, I see the value of having the valves. First, the valve is there to eliminate drones in certain rpm. Everyone in the industry knows this. Second, the DME is programmed to work with the valve system. In the case of the Speedster, with the full electric valve system, the opening and the closing of the valve positions is infinite and I believe there is a benefit to keeping the valve over the previous system where it's just a simple open and close at 3800rpm or so. The added weight of the valve system is really negligible.

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche

I read that as "even if you go with an aftermarket exhaust it's very important to keep the electronic valves" - Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick

JC
Old 06-16-2020, 11:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
How would you even quantify the reason most people modify their exhaust is for attention?

I modified mine because I like the way it sounds better to ME. I don't really care much what others think. Besides, I live in a rural area and most of my drives are on back county roads with very little traffic or other people around. I suppose I could be impressing the cows when I drive by...
BovineLivesMatter too.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AllAboutThatP (06-17-2020), Larry Cable (01-02-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 09:04 PM
johnny
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default its only for the sound?

Luckily, the 991/997 gt3rs is pretty easy to swap the whole or part of the exhaust system, Swapping out the side Mufflers for the side delete pipes with valves was my favourite option.
but in the end, its back to stock oem titanium system, (with the sports button on its basically a straight through exhaust pipe anyway. def sounded more aggressive.
probably swap it back in the summer!
Old 01-01-2024, 11:46 PM
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Required imo, stock exhaust on my 991.2 was fairly tame. @kyrocks recommended a GMG center and it’s the best thing I’ve done to the car. Everyone comments on how good it sounds. Performance was not the objective though, it’s plenty quick, but needed to be uncorked. The only thing I’d say, it’s a bit quiet under 4K rpm. Might do sides at some point as well.
The following users liked this post:
kyrocks (01-02-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 11:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Required imo, stock exhaust on my 991.2 was fairly tame. @kyrocks recommended a GMG center and it’s the best thing I’ve done to the car. Everyone comments on how good it sounds. Performance was not the objective though, it’s plenty quick, but needed to be uncorked. The only thing I’d say, it’s a bit quiet under 4K rpm. Might do sides at some point as well.
Did you plug the valve lines to leave them open?
Old 01-01-2024, 11:56 PM
Pro

Not yet, but a couple buddies have recommended that. Next install day we do I’ll try that.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
Not yet, but a couple buddies have recommended that. Next install day we do I’ll try that.
Pretty easy to do - don't even need to lift the car. A couple of machine screws does the trick. Definitely wakes up the exhaust below 4k.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:04 PM
Pro

Nice, will try it man thanks

Quick Reply: To Aftermarket Exhaust or Not to Aftermarket Exhaust and Why?