Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Aftermarket Exhaust: Yay or Nay and Why?
I like the stock exhaust - it is plenty loud for my taste.
15.29%
I modified the exhaust primarily to improve my GT car's sound.
35.03%
I modified the exhaust primarily to improve my GT car's performance.
2.55%
I modified the exhaust to improve the sound and the performance of my GT car.
32.48%
I am on the fence - I am not sure whether changing the exhaust is the right thing to do for my GT car.
14.65%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

To Aftermarket Exhaust or Not to Aftermarket Exhaust and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020 | 02:11 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Turning up a notch or two might be more than acceptable, more might be deafening.
Old 06-13-2020 | 05:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

if you ever want to track your car here on the West Coast, replacing the OEM is a it already fails sound anything louder you are stuck on the street... YMMV
Old 06-13-2020 | 08:17 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

I decided against it on the GT2RS....and at first, thought seriously about doing it on the Speedster....but, after driving the Speedster for a month, top up AND down....I'm leaving well enough alone. To me, it's pointless on a perfect car....If it works, don't fix it.
Old 06-13-2020 | 08:48 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Very sensible.
Old 06-13-2020 | 08:52 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

I like loud noises.
The following 5 users liked this post by konaforever:
AllAboutThatP (06-13-2020), Apex Ace (06-15-2020), azzurri (06-14-2020), bogey1 (06-14-2020), JCR-Porsche (06-15-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 09:39 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Robert, so why are you toying with an exhaust system for your R? For performance? For sound?

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Very sensible.
Old 06-13-2020 | 09:43 PM
unotaz
Drifting

I’m not sure about that statement. When you hear a Cup car, does that sound like your street GT car? Nope! So does that make the Cup car sound not like a typical Porsche?

There are a few good aftermarket companies out there if you choose wisely.

Remember, Porsche needs to conform to the latest emission and noise regulation and they also a budget to content with, so this doesn’t mean the way the car sound from the factory is really the way they wanted the car sound originally. I’m pretty certain no car engineer wants to install an OPF in their cars, but they have to.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The problem with aftermarket exhausts is that they take away the sound of a Porsche engine.

Doesn't mean that they necessarily make the car sound bad (although some certainly do), but just different. Which is not always a good thing, if ever. Especially if you want your car to sound like a Porsche GT car.
The following users liked this post:
azzurri (06-14-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 09:45 PM
unotaz
Drifting

For the US cars, nothing. Because it doesn’t have a real OPF and the baffle is not connected to anything.

However, having the new electric valve in place on the Speedster (if you decide to go aftermarket), is very important as the DME uses the electric valve to control torque and other factors.

Originally Posted by race7117
Yea this is why I'm on the fence. I'm uninterested in just noise but hoped the new engine, in the Speedster, with individual throttle bodies would respond differently to an exhaust unencumbered by the weird fake OPF system. The problem I have is that Andy P and the boys typically engineer these cars very specifically and I just don't what would happen without the new system. Likely negligible gains but then I watch a youtube video of the RSR and then I start thinking maybe noise is important???
Old 06-13-2020 | 09:48 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Dundon is the only way to go if you decide to upgrade. Their product quality and level of service is top notch. You will not be disappointed.
The following 5 users liked this post by mr965:
4porsh (06-15-2020), AllAboutThatP (06-13-2020), Apex Ace (06-15-2020), bogey1 (06-14-2020), WantA997 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 10:05 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mr965
Dundon is the only way to go if you decide to upgrade. Their product quality and level of service is top notch. You will not be disappointed.
Yep, love my Dundon system and Jamie is top notch.
Apex Ace (06-15-2020)
Old 06-13-2020 | 10:23 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Principally as part of the overall weight reduction effort and to add a bit of additional sound. Also, in conjunction with the new titanium rods, lightweight/high temperature pistons, titanium aluminide wrist pins, lightweight crankshaft with tungsten counterweights, titanium aluminide valves and the carbon clutch, all of which, together, will reduce rotating weight taxing the engine by approximately 28 pounds, the slight extra power that will be gained by the exhaust might have an effect greater than the de minimis norm.

P.S. On the thread entitled "911R Weight Reduction", tomorrow might be a good time to describe what I would call the virtuous cycle of weight reduction.
Old 06-13-2020 | 11:06 PM
Apan19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaylie
I did the akra rear muffler delete only. I feel that it it amplifies the stock gt sound and doesn’t change it at all. Definitely 15% louder inside and 30% outside and screams like an f1 car approaching 9k. It actually hurts my ears but feels so good. I can’t imagine how it would sound with a full system. I imagine even better but I’d rather not mess with warranty
I also did the center delete with the Akra on my Touring. I just wanted a little more sound than the stock...and I purposely lived with the stock for ~4k miles before making the move to the Akra --no regrets since. And the setup (IMHO) is just a notch louder than stock and changes the pitch to the better.

Side story -- a few weeks ago, I met a guy who recently bought a GT3 as his track car (we were both picking up our cars at this shop where he had the front end wrapped and I was having work done on my radar) and he was describing how the exhaust sound was not an important aspect for him since it was his track car and not necessarily his "street" car. We exchanged info and we were both leaving at the same time and I happened to be driving in front of him when we both left. Fast forward 2 weeks later....that guy texted me that he is getting the Akra exhaust for his GT3 because the sound he heard from my car made him reconsider his prior opinion of leaving his stock exhaust alone. Although, I do think that the exhaust sound is such a personal thing, so you should just take what I said here as just one (+1) guy's opinion.
Lebreeze (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 01:45 AM
kaylie
Racer

Originally Posted by Apan19
I also did the center delete with the Akra on my Touring. I just wanted a little more sound than the stock...and I purposely lived with the stock for ~4k miles before making the move to the Akra --no regrets since. And the setup (IMHO) is just a notch louder than stock and changes the pitch to the better.

Side story -- a few weeks ago, I met a guy who recently bought a GT3 as his track car (we were both picking up our cars at this shop where he had the front end wrapped and I was having work done on my radar) and he was describing how the exhaust sound was not an important aspect for him since it was his track car and not necessarily his "street" car. We exchanged info and we were both leaving at the same time and I happened to be driving in front of him when we both left. Fast forward 2 weeks later....that guy texted me that he is getting the Akra exhaust for his GT3 because the sound he heard from my car made him reconsider his prior opinion of leaving his stock exhaust alone. Although, I do think that the exhaust sound is such a personal thing, so you should just take what I said here as just one (+1) guy's opinion.
I’m super curious to hear what my akra bypass sounds like from driving behind. I’m sure the perspective will be different. OEM I could hear it but it was subtle. I had to listen for it. That prompted me to make the move. Trying to get the other half to drive it and I follow behind. I’ll make a video and post it here once I get that chance.
Old 06-14-2020 | 02:46 AM
Apan19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaylie
I’m super curious to hear what my akra bypass sounds like from driving behind. I’m sure the perspective will be different. OEM I could hear it but it was subtle. I had to listen for it. That prompted me to make the move. Trying to get the other half to drive it and I follow behind. I’ll make a video and post it here once I get that chance.
looking forward to seeing/hearing the video as I’m curious myself. And unfortunately my better half can’t/won’t drive stick for me to try my own video.
Old 06-14-2020 | 05:19 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Hi Guys...

Very surprised that I haven't seen anyone discuss warranty issues when changing exhaust components. I have tried several times here with my local Dealership (Kuwait) to get permission to do side muffler deletes/change or even center muffler delete/change, and they have clearly said my warranty would drop if I do any changes. For me, that is the main reason I have held back on doing an upgrade.

I would highly appreciate if anyone could point me to a clause or statement by Porsche anywhere that would support me upgrading my exhaust, so that I may show it to the dealership.

Quick Reply: To Aftermarket Exhaust or Not to Aftermarket Exhaust and Why?