Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Aftermarket Exhaust: Yay or Nay and Why?
I like the stock exhaust - it is plenty loud for my taste.
15.38%
I modified the exhaust primarily to improve my GT car's sound.
34.62%
I modified the exhaust primarily to improve my GT car's performance.
2.56%
I modified the exhaust to improve the sound and the performance of my GT car.
32.69%
I am on the fence - I am not sure whether changing the exhaust is the right thing to do for my GT car.
14.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

To Aftermarket Exhaust or Not to Aftermarket Exhaust and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 06:24 AM
RS911
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

Regarding warranty issues, I believe it depends in which country you live in. I believe in the USA, a modification after the catalytic converter is acceptable (side deletes or center muffler). A aftermarket header could void the warranty.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:19 AM
kaylie
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
Regarding warranty issues, I believe it depends in which country you live in. I believe in the USA, a modification after the catalytic converter is acceptable (side deletes or center muffler). A aftermarket header could void the warranty.
I would like to add that the burden of proof falls on the dealer to justify that the modification did in fact cause the failure. Deleting the rear muffler is going to void the OEM muffler warranty because now it’s gone but should not affect the engine warranty. They would have to prove that removing the muffler caused the engine to fail.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:11 PM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
Originally Posted by kaylie
I would like to add that the burden of proof falls on the dealer to justify that the modification did in fact cause the failure. Deleting the rear muffler is going to void the OEM muffler warranty because now it’s gone but should not affect the engine warranty. They would have to prove that removing the muffler caused the engine to fail.

What Kaylie says is perfect logic. I would just love to have the comfort of hearing that from Porsche Middle East or my dealer in writing. I would also love to hear if any other Middle Easterns have had this experience and if anyone was able to reach some sort of acceptance to upgrading/replacing any exhaust parts.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Better idea, do not change anything until after the warranty period.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:55 PM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Better idea, do not change anything until after the warranty period.
Thats a long wait unfortunately, since warranties are extendable for up to 9 years if I am not mistaken. Never kept a car that long in my life 😂
Old 06-14-2020, 04:19 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 216 Posts

Def go for it. Best mod Ive done. Did it rt in my driveway. Fabspeed Side valved bypass pipes and center pipes. Huge weight savings and of course the sound!! Check out my link in the sig. 🤙🏼🤙🏼
Old 06-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Considerable weight savings yes, but, in isolation, not enough to be noticeable.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:01 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Has anyone done the Akrapovic slip-on rear muffler? I bought one and for some reason have not installed it as the only thing I can see as an improvement is the weight savings - but a the same time, also debating just swapping the GT3 stainless muffler out for the stock RS titanium muffler as feel it would accomplish the same thing at a fraction of the price

On that note, Ive done side deletes & center deletes - both are too loud IMO for something that youd like keep subtle. However, they definitely open up that engine and bring out the character sound in it if that is one is after.
I’ve had an Akrapovic slip on installed to my 991.2 GT3 and it improved sound and feel a bit. I didn’t replace the sides as I still wanted the stock sports exhaust button to work.

The GT3 slip on actually costs less than most Akrapovic slip ons designed for other car makes/models so its a worthwhile upgrade imho.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:02 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
However, having the new electric valve in place on the Speedster (if you decide to go aftermarket), is very important as the DME uses the electric valve to control torque and other factors.
Interesting, removing the valves from the system entirely picks up a ton of torque and power low down. Dyno of our OPF Race pipe (non valved) vs stock OPF GT3 RS (same exhaust as speedster)

Orange line 100% Stock Exhaust - Blue Line JCR Titanium (OPF) Race Pipe

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 06-15-2020, 09:05 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Yea this is why I'm on the fence. I'm uninterested in just noise but hoped the new engine, in the Speedster, with individual throttle bodies would respond differently to an exhaust unencumbered by the weird fake OPF system. The problem I have is that Andy P and the boys typically engineer these cars very specifically and I just don't what would happen without the new system. Likely negligible gains but then I watch a youtube video of the RSR and then I start thinking maybe noise is important???
A bit of a quick summary video below with our rear silencer replacement products for the Speedster / OPF GT3 RS

There's really no down side. Less weight, more power and torque and fantastic sound

JC
Old 06-15-2020, 04:28 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 998 Likes on 433 Posts

You are not comparing apples to apples here.

Have you guys ever dyno between your race pipe non-valved vs. race pipe valved? I'm sure you are well aware of the engineering benefits behind having the electric valve (especially on the Speedster) and how valve is there to eliminate unwanted drones and pick up additional torque down low. By comparing a modified system non-valved vs. a stock valved system, you are not convincing people like me with an engineering degree.

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Interesting, removing the valves from the system entirely picks up a ton of torque and power low down. Dyno of our OPF Race pipe (non valved) vs stock OPF GT3 RS (same exhaust as speedster)

Orange line 100% Stock Exhaust - Blue Line JCR Titanium (OPF) Race Pipe

JC

Last edited by unotaz; 06-15-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:38 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Stock. Loud doesn't mean better. Where's the poll option for "modify the attention"
Old 06-15-2020, 05:27 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Stock. Loud doesn't mean better. Where's the poll option for "modify the attention"
They don't put mufflers on the GT3 to make it sound better.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:45 PM
Apan19
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Respectfully, you are putting words in everyone else's mouth. The OP was asking opinions as to what people have done with their exhausts and why because he was on the fence on what option to do in lieu of stock. So everyone shared what they did on their car, without inferring (IMO) that their preference was necessarily "better" than what other guys did....until now.

And if you're worried about being too loud/attention seeking on stock, you bought the wrong Camry (even moreso if you have the wing). The stock muffler already starts at 95 dB (see Akra link comparing stock vs Slip-on metrics - bottom of page). Then go Google what decibel levels start resulting in hearing damage to your ear over prolonged periods....you'll find it starts around 70-80dB range. So we're already in the "attention zone" and any adjustments are just about what makes your smile go from a 10 to 11.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...48&yearId=5104
The following 2 users liked this post by Apan19:
azzurri (06-16-2020), hknahyan (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 05:59 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Apan19
Respectfully, you are putting words in everyone else's mouth. The OP was asking opinions as to what people have done with their exhausts and why because he was on the fence on what option to do in lieu of stock. So everyone shared what they did on their car, without inferring (IMO) that their preference was necessarily "better" than what other guys did....until now.

And if you're worried about being too loud/attention seeking on stock, you bought the wrong Camry (even moreso if you have the wing). The stock muffler already starts at 95 dB (see Akra link comparing stock vs Slip-on metrics - bottom of page). Then go Google what decibel levels start resulting in hearing damage to your ear over prolonged periods....you'll find it starts around 70-80dB range. So we're already in the "attention zone" and any adjustments are just about what makes your smile go from a 10 to 11.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...48&yearId=5104
Disrespectfully, you are drawing the wrong conclusions. I don't speak for others.

Nowhere did I say which was better. I said louder does not (necessarily) mean better. OP made a poll. I said stock is the way to go and that people mostly modify their street car exhausts for more attention.

Quick Reply: To Aftermarket Exhaust or Not to Aftermarket Exhaust and Why?