Time to buy a R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 03:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,031 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbravo23
I’d be shocked if there was an R out there with 5000 miles. They’re all garage queens. Why buy a car and not drive it? Tomorrow isn’t promised. Drive the snot out of your touring and enjoy every second. Seems like the cool thing to do here is talk about what’s in the garage, not drive them. Guess That means I’m not cool 😔. I could careless about the next owner if that even happens.
I know of at least two in SoCal over 6k on the ODO. But neither are up for sale.

I think only the ones that are garage queens (i.e., poor investment decisions) are on the market.
The following users liked this post:
F1tifosi (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:35 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
It is crazy to buy any limited edition car during this time, especially a R? Only two R's in the market and both priced around $350k, yet another one with sofas sold on Rennlist a little over a month ago around $240k. What is the right value on this car?

While it is NOT a Carrera GT, 993 Turbo S, 918, I think they are sweet and maybe because I was denied buying one I am still interested?

I personally am "over" and done buying garage queens that sit and collect dust and want to drive (yes drive) the car. Not to be melancholy, but time is not on any of our sides and I think if anything, COVID has sharpened my focus on truly living every minute and enjoying (with honor and integrity) the time we have left.

Thoughts?
I don't think it's crazy at all. And I get what you mean about C19 changing one's focus.

I you want an R - go get one. Super cool car. I get the comparisons to the GT3T and see pros/cons of both cars. I could see owning either depending on my intended use.I thought about an R recently but ultimately decided I wanted air cooled for my "I don't need it but I want it" car.

Last - the amount you pay or whatever is made far less relevant if you intend to drive the car. I can see where purchase price then subsequent sale price is very relevant in the collector game. I look at the value I get in terms of the enjoyment I derive while experiencing the car. I actually get negative value (guilt/annoyance) from the few cars I've had that I didn't end up driving much.
The following 3 users liked this post by tstafford:
destaccado (05-22-2020), I am the Walrus (05-22-2020), MacFever (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:18 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

It is crazy to buy any limited edition car during this time, especially a R? Only two R's in the market and both priced around $350k, yet another one with sofas sold on Rennlist a little over a month ago around $240k. What is the right value on this car?

While it is NOT a Carrera GT, 993 Turbo S, 918, I think they are sweet and maybe because I was denied buying one I am still interested?

I personally am "over" and done buying garage queens that sit and collect dust and want to drive (yes drive) the car. Not to be melancholy, but time is not on any of our sides and I think if anything, COVID has sharpened my focus on truly living every minute and enjoying (with honor and integrity) the time we have left.

Thoughts?
Go for it! I love my R and I think it’s the best driver’s car for the street. Mine has ~3600 miles and I plan on putting as many miles as I can on it.

I also have a GT3T, getting close to 6000 miles. I read and enjoy some of debates. I am okay with other perspectives but do get annoyed when others try to imposed that I am wrong to prefer the R over the GT3T.
The following 2 users liked this post by ForeverCar:
F1tifosi (05-21-2020), GT3RS-Fan1 (05-25-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:43 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

I just hit 4,200 miles on mine and love it more each drive. Just a fabulous car - if you can get one, do it!!
The following 2 users liked this post by JCBH:
17bhub (05-24-2020), cadster (05-25-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:13 AM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

Pick the one that makes you want to get out and drive. .closing in on 6K in one....just getting started in the one with no roof. 400 miles in first week. Both are special to me.... but only when I am driving them

The following 3 users liked this post by TylerCoupe:
pissedpuppy (05-22-2020), TexasPorschelover (05-26-2020), Zey (05-30-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 03:27 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess the real question here is: what is it about the R that you feel is missing in the touring? Let's talk about facts here, not pixie dust. You can mod the touring to feel like the R but you can't put a cup motor in an R. Well, you won't at least.

What exactly can you do in the R that you can't in the touring? I can give you a list of things you can do in a touring but you can't in the R. If it's the sensation of knowing that you're in an R and not a touring, then no one can help you there... But you did say you like having a driver, in which case you already own the right car, one with a higher redline and a better motor.
Porsche911GTS'16 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 AM
F1tifosi
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Love the chatter, R haters, R lovers, etc. Thanks for making this fun. Why not, we are pretty much locked in our home.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Love the chatter, R haters, R lovers, etc. Thanks for making this fun. Why not, we are pretty much locked in our home.
I wonder how many R “haters” have driven an R for say 1000+ miles. Hope you find one to your liking!

It took a while of casual looking for me. Then all of a sudden, I saw one and jumped on it. Been happy with it since.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 AM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

just returned from a 100 mile morning mountain drive in R. Do It
Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

we (Ohio) opened bars yesterday and indoor dining at restaurants today
Old 05-22-2020, 05:51 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Go for it! I love my R and I think it’s the best driver’s car for the street. Mine has ~3600 miles and I plan on putting as many miles as I can on it.

I also have a GT3T, getting close to 6000 miles. I read and enjoy some of debates. I am okay with other perspectives but do get annoyed when others try to imposed that I am wrong to prefer the R over the GT3T.
Originally Posted by ForeverCar
I wonder how many R “haters” have driven an R for say 1000+ miles. Hope you find one to your liking!

It took a while of casual looking for me. Then all of a sudden, I saw one and jumped on it. Been happy with it since.

Translation: "I do get annoyed when others try to impose that I'm wrong to prefer the R; so watch as a couple posts later I hypocritically go insinuate everyone that has a different opinion from me is an inexperienced "hater" whose opinion isn't as valuable as mine."

The simple reality is that most of us here who are rational aren't going to use limited resources to own two similar cars from the same generation. Before I simultaneously owned a Touring and an R I'd have about 30 other cars. Maybe that's your garage? Maybe not.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalTouring
I guess the real question here is: what is it about the R that you feel is missing in the touring? Let's talk about facts here, not pixie dust. You can mod the touring to feel like the R but you can't put a cup motor in an R. Well, you won't at least.

What exactly can you do in the R that you can't in the touring? I can give you a list of things you can do in a touring but you can't in the R. If it's the sensation of knowing that you're in an R and not a touring, then no one can help you there... But you did say you like having a driver, in which case you already own the right car, one with a higher redline and a better motor.
I don't own either. So no dog in the hunt but while they look very similar they do drive quite differently, as much as two manual 991 gt's can, at least. It's not like one is a Ferrari and the other a Mercedes but they drive surprisingly different for two same gen 911 gt products. I don't think either jumps out as the "better car" and as u stated, these are all opinions; not facts.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,031 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalTouring

The R is a classic case of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts"

I don't own either, but I've driven both the R and GT3T (neither for 1000 miles, but each for no less than 100, or maybe 150), and characteristics of the cars are different.

Is one better than the other? Really depends on your definition fo "better".

But regardless of how you define better, you cannot simply judge either car based on the type of engines (or, i.e., the GT3T is better), or the lightweight construction of the cars (i.e., the R is better),

It's really about the ethos of the two cars.

Just pick one. No wrong answers either way.

I know which I'd pick, but that's largely irrelevant (or at least it should be) to anyone picking between the two cars for themselves.
Porsche911GTS'16 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by destaccado
Translation: "I do get annoyed when others try to impose that I'm wrong to prefer the R; so watch as a couple posts later I hypocritically go insinuate everyone that has a different opinion from me is an inexperienced "hater" whose opinion isn't as valuable as mine."

The simple reality is that most of us here who are rational aren't going to use limited resources to own two similar cars from the same generation. Before I simultaneously owned a Touring and an R I'd have about 30 other cars. Maybe that's your garage? Maybe not.
Haters would not be a term I would use so I put them in quotes. If I was not clear to you, my bad. Not insinuating about inexperienced opinion. I was stating that my view is based on my driving of them. Others views, no less valid, can be form in whatever ways. I find it useful to understand how an opinion is form so I can process accordingly.

I have a different view and I am okay that others have other views. At the core, I believe most are way less rational than what they have convinced themselves to be.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:38 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

We can argue over which car is better all day but like Ipse Dixit thoughtfully stated - it's really dependent on what you value since both cars have benefits over the other. I won't tell you which one I prefer either but I typically like GT cars that have engines which find their way into the CUP and are produced for more than a year.

The only thing that's really undebatable is that some of the biggest winners of the 991 generation are the guys who got R's at MSRP and sold them for a huge profit. Congrats gentlemen - every GT3T owner is genuinely jealous!

Some of the biggest losers of this generation are the guys who bought their R at a huge early markup and watched the sales prices drop all the way back to 240k as reported above. Sorry but no one with a Touring wishes they were you!

If you bought an R or a Touring at or around their current fair market value you're almost universally happy with your decision for either.
The following 3 users liked this post by destaccado:
17bhub (05-24-2020), nszombie (05-23-2020), WernerE (05-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Time to buy a R?