Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 02:01 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

It would be cool if it was an option. Of course easy enough to push the buttons after starting. No doubt you can switch to manual mode too. Here’s what I tend to do and some characteristics I find with my experience.

I find that leaving it drive w/PDK sport vs manual does a few things for me. I still shift manually most times while in drive and the transmission is intuitive and will adjust to my driving habits. There is a safety net, maybe mentally, that in the early gears it will shift automatically when all in should I not react in time. I found in my Huracan that if I left the car in manual mode it wouldn’t auto shift at redline and that bothered me. It wasn’t intentional on my part but the shifts come quick and when your steering and focusing on what’s ahead everything happens fast. I have been able to avoid that scenario in the RS by using auto w/PDK sport. Haven’t tested what would occur if I left in manual mode and neared redline without shifting in the RS. Maybe others can comment on what happens, for example if it has a built in mechanism to shift for you in that event. I noticed when I shift while in auto it will show the M so again it seems to know that I’m doing both. Like someone shared, I learned from a tech that these run best in certain RPM ranges and is most healthy for the motor to avoid the lower ranges that might happen in normal driving modes in auto.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
It would be cool if it was an option. Of course easy enough to push the buttons after starting. No doubt you can switch to manual mode too. Here’s what I tend to do and some characteristics I find with my experience.

I find that leaving it drive w/PDK sport vs manual does a few things for me. I still shift manually most times while in drive and the transmission is intuitive and will adjust to my driving habits. There is a safety net, maybe mentally, that in the early gears it will shift automatically when all in should I not react in time. I found in my Huracan that if I left the car in manual mode it wouldn’t auto shift at redline and that bothered me. It wasn’t intentional on my part but the shifts come quick and when your steering and focusing on what’s ahead everything happens fast. I have been able to avoid that scenario in the RS by using auto w/PDK sport. Haven’t tested what would occur if I left in manual mode and neared redline without shifting in the RS. Maybe others can comment on what happens, for example if it has a built in mechanism to shift for you in that event. I noticed when I shift while in auto it will show the M so again it seems to know that I’m doing both. Like someone shared, I learned from a tech that these run best in certain RPM ranges and is most healthy for the motor to avoid the lower ranges that might happen in normal driving modes in auto.
If you are in full manual mode, just like your Lambo PDK will not revert to auto and shift at redline for you as a failsafe; you will bounce off the rev limiter until you upshift manually.

As you've noticed, any time you are in auto and perform a shift with the paddles PDK will switch to manual mode for around 6 seconds before reverting to auto. In this scenario I believe PDK will upshift automatically at redline even if you are still within the 6 second window.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got back from work and tested the pdk sport in 991.2 GT3 : on light throttle the car shifts at 3000 rpm
The car stays between 2000 and 3000 rpm just as I would drive a manual car
On non sport the gearbox goes right away to higher gears and under 1500 rpm which I dont like
Also the pdk s shifts back 2 gears on heavy throttle
So I guess there is a big difference between 991.1 and 991.2 GT3...

Quick Reply: PDK sport