Sponsored by:

GT Cars: What’s your hoon strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I race my race cars on the track not my street cars.

I too limit my exposure on the street with my GT3 to just a few open view turns and unpopulated areas and keep the speed down everywhere else. I just did it today. I enjoy my street cars on the street this way. His use of 'hoon' is tongue in cheek.

Are you telling me you've never exceeded the speed limit in your GT3? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and all that good stuff...
My GT3 RS is used for tarmac rallying - thus I could blow through the speed limits by over 210kmh - but those roads are closed by the shire/police for these events. I have zero points on my drivers licence and don't feel the need to go hooning. There are a lot of Porsche owners that go out for spirited drives - its a fools errand, even more so for those unskilled drivers that seem to think a Porsche badge gives you some sort magical driving ability.

Philosophically it goes against my grain to engage in so called spirited driving or hooning - I get my fun by going to a track and or engaging in real competition where the risks are very real but controlled and minimised where possible. I believe taking risks on public roads only has negative consequences, more importantly one act of stupidity could have serious consequences for innocent parties, coming back from a might shift, truck drivers, farmers moving equipment around, cattle being moved between paddocks.

I'm not the fun police, but I will point out something if I believe it shows a poor attitude to others. I've said my piece. Out
Old 04-17-2020, 05:43 AM
SocalTouring
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Same here. There’s a nice short twisty not too far from me that I frequently visit on those off nights. Hit it hard and leave before the cops come. Either go home to go to an entirely different run
Old 04-17-2020, 06:57 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded
At the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle
At the fireside.
(then awesome drum fill)
RIP, Neil
The following users liked this post:
RockyTopTenn (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:17 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I race my race cars on the track not my street cars.

I too limit my exposure on the street with my GT3 to just a few open view turns and unpopulated areas and keep the speed down everywhere else. I just did it today. I enjoy my street cars on the street this way. His use of 'hoon' is tongue in cheek.

Are you telling me you've never exceeded the speed limit in your GT3? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and all that good stuff...
Exactly. Yep, 95% of the time the GT3 on the street is docile as ever. Why even wind it up? Ever. Let’s Cadillac over to our games of Bridge at the nursing home. Let’s never get on it when the roads are dry and Clear...right? Then let’s make a comment about others being poor drivers when the whole reason for this thread was to be tongue in cheek and enjoy ourselves a little bit. JC

The following 2 users liked this post by chance6:
arashiyama (04-18-2020), evilfij (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Exactly. Yep, 95% of the time the GT3 on the street is docile as ever. Why even wind it up? Ever. Let’s Cadillac over to our games of Bridge at the nursing home. Let’s never get on it when the roads are dry and Clear...right? Then let’s make a comment about others being poor drivers when the whole reason for this thread was to be tongue in cheek and enjoy ourselves a little bit. JC
Yep thats right - owns Porsche is plank - its no different to going to a pub and having a few beers and hoping its going to be all right. If the people on this thread think its OK drive fast and speed simply because they need to get a few jollies...........

Seriously, some of you need to grow up big time and act like adults. Get this - it is people that condone this type of behaviour - whether you call it hooning or spirited driving that give the rest of us a bad name. Thats right you are "that" guy, the guy the cyclists, the pedestrian, the farmer, the house owner, the guy in the little car sees hacking along a back road - just because.

Do the rest of us a favour and wake up to yourselves.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:50 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Lighten up, Francises
The following 3 users liked this post by Domer911:
arashiyama (04-18-2020), cadster (04-18-2020), chance6 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 AM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
RIP, Neil
Amen to that.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:40 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Sounds like you boys need to hug it out! Maybe Hoon it out? Have a good ol down home Hoon fest!! Lmao

Of course! The majority of the time YOU MUST be a responsible driver. In fact, always. GT cars should heighten your awareness.

And every punk that takes his car to a track thinks he’s AJ Foyt or Emerson Fittipaldi. Gimmie a break. It’s a hobby folks. Just because you put your *** on a track doesn’t make you Mark Webber.

Including me! Lighten up! Go use your Sport Chrono.
arashiyama (04-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:09 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,751 Likes on 720 Posts

and here comes the C&C crowd....

Last edited by Jbravo23; 04-17-2020 at 02:29 PM.
swagon (04-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:10 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Five
I did a lot of track days on bikes - in fact I quit riding on the street because of track days - way too much risk for way too crappy corners on the street.

But sometimes you just need to jump in real quick and set up a few corners. Nothing crazy, no top speed runs - that’s how you goto jail - often. You can have a blast in this car with a good corner exit and rip through 2nd, maybe halfway through 3rd. “I swear I was under 100 officer”

Used to ride late nights with a group in Chicago - common joke was, “let’s take it easy tonight keep it under 160”. Tons of close calls on a liter bike - for me and most everyone else who rides one. High risk, I’ve chilled out.

Speed kills! Everyone be safe out there.
Ditto!
Old 04-17-2020, 03:17 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm fortunate to live in a place where most of the secondary roads are curvy and hilly. So even runs close to or within the speed limit are very enjoyable. It's not the police that keep me in check, it's the overpopulation of deer.

The GT3 just builds speed WAY too quickly to ever "let the dog off the leash" on public roads, but I do enjoy staying in a lower gear and keeping the revs and speed up through the corners. Oh, and the occasional interstate onramp allows a nice 4-5 second blast well up into third gear...

But I agree that exploring the limits of a car like this on public roads is just asking for a Darwin Award. Or at the very least some large fines!

I think the only way to hoon even remotely responsibly on roads is in something with capabilities and limits more like a Miata. I borrowed a Boxster last week and have to admit, it might also be more fun than the GT3 on local roads.
The following 2 users liked this post by RockyTopTenn:
arashiyama (04-19-2020), kage65 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I take the car to the track and let the demons out. Somewhat difficult at this time since most tracks are closed, so I drive it on the road like I drive all my other street cars on the road. So, I guess I don't "hoon". I agree with the others. Drive responsibly.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:29 AM
swagon
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Some of y'all need to relax and stop acting like you never go past the speed limit or floor it on the street.
arashiyama (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:00 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Isn't there a big difference between the proverbial hooning suggested in the initial question and electing to drive assertively and in a controlled but dynamic manner on the street, allowing for acceleration and noise and power to be used within a normal reason? I know I have never been one in the hoon camp ever in my life, don't do burnouts, don't do brake stands, don't rev at stop lights or signs or if people ask and don't race people on the street. But I do enjoy driving in the lower gears to use the full power band and bring the noise, torque and sound. Which makes it feel more towards the hoon side I suppose, but is not really what's described here. No one needs to do that stuff out there on the street, otherwise you're just a YouTube wannabe I suspect. I wouldn't say driving at or near the speed limit controllably is hooning either (including if exceeding by a small margin).
The following 2 users liked this post by azzurri:
Beezupra (04-22-2020), ldamelio (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 07:30 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Like most, be safe and respect others. I'm sure we would get along Johnny.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: GT Cars: What’s your hoon strategy?