991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 DIY sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021 | 10:38 PM
systech
Instructor

Started to reduce the noise in my new to me GT3 with NOICO foam on top. This provided a perceptible reduction but want a bit more so will add some NOICO foil to the door linings and some under rear wheel lining. That should reduce the road noise while retaining the glorious engine noise.
Old 05-08-2021 | 11:02 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Looks great! I did the same thing to mine. It helped so much... you'll notice the difference. There are some pictures of mine in the link in my signature.
Old 05-26-2021 | 04:16 AM
systech
Instructor

OK...just added the Noico foil under the rear wheel wells as well and decided that was enough noise reduction without doing the door panels. Overall very happy with the reduction given the limited additional weight added, although I neglected to make a noise measurement before or after.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2021 | 02:52 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by systech
OK...just added the Noico foil under the rear wheel wells as well and decided that was enough noise reduction without doing the door panels. Overall very happy with the reduction given the limited additional weight added, although I neglected to make a noise measurement before or after.
I haven't done the rear wheel well yet was it a big improvement? I did do the doors on mine, that was HUGE, and also made the radio sound so much better, like way better. For me the doors where the biggest gain in both road house reduction, and also sound improvement from the radio.
Old 05-26-2021 | 09:48 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

first time I see a car with foil under rear wheels wells!?, would be better 2 layers on the inside over the wheels wells?
Old 05-26-2021 | 10:23 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Sub'd for great references. I did this on a car once to stop buzzes etc from audio but for now I'll enjoy the sound from my first GT,

IT HASN'T EFFECTED ME !
Old 05-27-2021 | 04:11 AM
systech
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I haven't done the rear wheel well yet was it a big improvement? I did do the doors on mine, that was HUGE, and also made the radio sound so much better, like way better. For me the doors where the biggest gain in both road house reduction, and also sound improvement from the radio.
Although it's always going to be a little subjective, I sense a minor reduction in noise as compared to the noise level after having done the rear firewall /seats. I'm now happy with the overall noise level so probably won't bother with the doors, even though you have suggested that this has made the most difference.
Old 05-27-2021 | 02:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rick GT3
first time I see a car with foil under rear wheels wells!?, would be better 2 layers on the inside over the wheels wells?
Not really, inside or out, it will do the same thing. For me, my car has a rear cage. So I can not remove the rear side panels, so I never did that area when I pulled the carpet up. This way would be 2 hours of labor, vs 14 hour of labor to remove the cage and do it from the inside.

Although it's always going to be a little subjective, I sense a minor reduction in noise as compared to the noise level after having done the rear firewall /seats. I'm now happy with the overall noise level so probably won't bother with the doors, even though you have suggested that this has made the most difference.
Good to know. Yes, the doors were a huge improvement, and not hard to pull apart. For me, the stereo improvement was worth more than the road noise. I can also crank my music and you can't hear it outside the car.
Old 05-29-2021 | 11:28 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^ the biggest issue I see with the insulation in the wheel well is that you are subject too all the environmental extremes, high/low temperatures, dirt, grime, water and everything striking it from your tire pick up. I don't know the specs, but I don't think that the adhesive and exterior foil is designed for this type of application. Maybe someone can weigh in with more knowledge on the material... I know when we were building outdoor panels the adhesive, materials and construction of outdoor keypads and labels are completely different from those used indoor and way more $$$.
Old 05-30-2021 | 06:44 AM
systech
Instructor

Originally Posted by montoya
^ the biggest issue I see with the insulation in the wheel well is that you are subject too all the environmental extremes, high/low temperatures, dirt, grime, water and everything striking it from your tire pick up. I don't know the specs, but I don't think that the adhesive and exterior foil is designed for this type of application. Maybe someone can weigh in with more knowledge on the material... I know when we were building outdoor panels the adhesive, materials and construction of outdoor keypads and labels are completely different from those used indoor and way more $$$.
The NOICO foil is only under the PU wheel well lining so shouldn’t be an issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by systech:
heshalosny (02-09-2022), montoya (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021 | 11:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^ OK, I see, much better than leaving it out uncovered. Time will tell on the adhesive staying power in more extreme environments, but that looks to be easy compared to installing in the interior so even if it does fail in the future, it's easy to replace.
Old 06-01-2021 | 08:01 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
So I have a bit more time on my hands these days due to COVID, so today I finally did a project I've had planned for a while. In addition to track days and canyon runs, I use my GT3 for 3 day weekend trips with my lady, and it's a bit hard to hear each other talking, and the noise can be a bit much for her over long distances. So I was inspired by a fellow rennlister bli8 who did a DIY sound insulation of several of his P cars including a GT car in the past. I did a very though 2-3 layer insulation from the rear of the car, all the way to the rear footwell/center console today. Spent 4 hours on the project as I was a bit OCD about how I layered the insulation, and then I took my GT3 on a canyon run and a long drive on the freeway today. I regret not taking decibel measurement before and after, but subjectively I'd say the overall interior cabin noise was reduced by 50% which was quite noticeable. My stereo (Bose) now sounds twice as good. And I now fully agree with those that said its a waste of money to spend money upgrading the base radio in a GT3........unless you add sound insulation. Street noise reduced by 30% the engine noise was reduced by 20%. Actually I reduced engine noise a little bit more than expected. I was already planning on removing the side mufflers and replacing with dundon street headers this summer anyway and so this was part of the plan to reduce engine noise with this mod as I'm doing dundon more for power than noise. I expect the total engine noise to be 10% more than stock after I do the dundon headers, (but at the same time I'll have 30% less street noise)

If you just want to reduce street/tire noise without affecting the engine sound at all, I'd recommend a smaller version of this, focused just on the wheel wells (while not adding any insulation to the center 80% that you seen in the first two photos). Also recommend doing the doors. This would reduce unwanted street/tire noise, but shouldn't affect the engine sound. Below are some pics. (Used Kilmats as the base layer with noico audiofoam as the top layer) https:~//www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ2DHV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBK48XN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

‘wow, making less 911 GT car sound in cabin .... why not a turbo car or go all the way electric ... to be polite it is your car and kudos to whatever meets your needs and makes you happy thanks for sharing
Old 06-01-2021 | 11:34 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
‘wow, making less 911 GT car sound in cabin .... why not a turbo car or go all the way electric ... to be polite it is your car and kudos to whatever meets your needs and makes you happy thanks for sharing
It's about quality, not quantity of sound. Road noise from the tires is the biggest contributor to high levels of white noise, or 'roar' in the cabin. Not to be confused with engine noise. But hey, if you love loud noise of any kind, then by all means roll down the windows, straight pipe your exhaust and drive on the freeway for however long you can stand. TEHO...
Old 06-01-2021 | 12:31 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montoya
It's about quality, not quantity of sound. Road noise from the tires is the biggest contributor to high levels of white noise, or 'roar' in the cabin. Not to be confused with engine noise. But hey, if you love loud noise of any kind, then by all means roll down the windows, straight pipe your exhaust and drive on the freeway for however long you can stand. TEHO...
or just enjoy it the way Porsche’s brilliant high paid engineers designed it lol
Old 06-01-2021 | 01:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
or just enjoy it the way Porsche’s brilliant high paid engineers designed it lol
I think the main issue is the brilliant engineers drive on perfect German roads, and not our horrible, cracked, chipped pothole, uneven, crowned, and the 5 different types of pavement we use, and don't get me started on Chip Seal.

Maybe if they drove the cars over here during engineering test, the cabin noise would be better stock. Honestly, on good smooth roads, the car is fine, it's evyrehere else (90% or driving) the noise is loud and not the good kind of loud.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stealth 993:
Mcx (05-25-2022), Rick GT3 (06-01-2021)

Quick Reply: GT3 DIY sound insulation