mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Old 03-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Most hospitals had a 6 month supply of masks on hand, but unfortunately NOBODY could foresee needing 20+ masks per day per person. Those 6 month supplies are being drained in days at current usage. Some people will say that they should have been prepared for this, but it would be cost prohibitive to prepare for every eventuality.

Regarding the government, let's be brutally honest. They have been more worried about appearances and elections than really understanding the the fact that our hospital system is about to get overrun. Going on TV and openly lying to the public about what is happening is unacceptable. Nobody wanted to believe the scientists. But look at what the financial professionals have been saying as well. The talking heads were all over the financial channels telling everyone this is a great opportunity to buy until yesterday. After Ackerman went very public about the impending financial crisis most others suddenly changed to talking about the likelihood of a full blown depression rather than the "buying" opportunity. I am not some super financial genius, but still could see what was going to happen. I sold everything in mid January and bought a good amount of NASDAQ puts.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:29 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Salespunk
Most hospitals had a 6 month supply of masks on hand, but unfortunately NOBODY could foresee needing 20+ masks per day per person. Those 6 month supplies are being drained in days at current usage. Some people will say that they should have been prepared for this, but it would be cost prohibitive to prepare for every eventuality.

Regarding the government, let's be brutally honest. They have been more worried about appearances and elections than really understanding the the fact that our hospital system is about to get overrun. Going on TV and openly lying to the public about what is happening is unacceptable. Nobody wanted to believe the scientists. But look at what the financial professionals have been saying as well. The talking heads were all over the financial channels telling everyone this is a great opportunity to buy until yesterday. After Ackerman went very public about the impending financial crisis most others suddenly changed to talking about the likelihood of a full blown depression rather than the "buying" opportunity. I am not some super financial genius, but still could see what was going to happen. I sold everything in mid January and bought a good amount of NASDAQ puts.
You think China used 20 masks per day per person? You think you need to change PPE 20x per day? I guess not only did these "professionals" fail to purchase extra masks due to what was obviously coming but they never heard of rationing or taking inventory either?

....and now the rest of us should feel guilty and be upset with the President for the incompetence displayed by the entire private medical industry that's been soaking us for years.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:45 PM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=mooty;16492773
destaccado: why health prof didn't prepare for masks, good question I cannot answer that. .[/QUOTE]

Mooty, they simply can't because of where the masks are being manufactured. Same reason there is a shortage of drugs, as we rely heavily on foreign sources/manufactures and now facing real consequences when there is a true pandemic.
All these considered "cheap" commodities are being made elsewhere because there is really no true profit. Being in medical field, not only do we have to worry about PPE but eventually will face a shortage of other drugs (stuff as simple as IV solutions to antibiotics).
Instead of pointing fingers, agree it is time we need work together and maybe salute to those who are in the front lines battling the virus.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ fully understood. I am learning as the story or disaster unfolds....
Old 03-19-2020, 10:57 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Moldex N95: Made in the USA
3M N95: Made in the USA
There's numerous other made in the USA N95 brands that the military uses as well.

These things have been "salad day" pricing for years. Less than $1/ea. Good luck guilt-tripping the majority of people that went out and bought them early into giving up their stash. Everyone knows doctors and nurses in their extended family to share them with directly. My 20 masks are already half gone to friends.

The drug thing is a valid point and due to pharmaceutical companies outsourcing for higher profits.

...but the lack of proper PPE and tomfoolery of using 20 of them in a single shift for a single provider rests squarely on the shoulders of the hospital administrators and the medical professionals themselves.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by destaccado

There's numerous other made in the USA N95 brands that the military uses as well.

The drug thing is a valid point and due to pharmaceutical companies outsourcing for higher profits.

The lack of masks and tomfoolery of using 20 of them in a single shift for a single provider rests squarely on the shoulders of the hospital administrators and the medical professionals themselves.
I do see some of your points, but I do not understand the last one.
example: a surgeon (forget covid for the moment) operates on 3 patient. he will use 3 masks, one for each surgery. as he exits the sterile OR, the mask may become contaminated (I am guessing of course). to prevent cross contamination, a new mask is used... using this logic, if a doctor sees a covid + patient, or a non tested patient ( who may or may not have covid, they are transmitting even asymptomatic), how can the doctor wear the same mask to see the next patient? that mask is now contaminated and if I am not covid + , I will be, after seeing that doctor with the re-used mask no? perhaps my logic is flawed, but I am just thinking out loud...
Old 03-19-2020, 11:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

Well.... I am going back the the "Car value" threads- I thought I would never say that
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
cadster (03-20-2020), pdxjim (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
I do see some of your points, but I do not understand the last one.
example: a surgeon (forget covid for the moment) operates on 3 patient. he will use 3 masks, one for each surgery. as he exits the sterile OR, the mask may become contaminated (I am guessing of course). to prevent cross contamination, a new mask is used... using this logic, if a doctor sees a covid + patient, or a non tested patient ( who may or may not have covid, they are transmitting even asymptomatic), how can the doctor wear the same mask to see the next patient? that mask is now contaminated and if I am not covid + , I will be, after seeing that doctor with the re-used mask no? perhaps my logic is flawed, but I am just thinking out loud...
I'm sure you're not wrong. I'm guessing that's the standard procedure.

....but people with 10 years of schooling should be smart enough to realize that some changes need to be made when that procedure is going to make it so you have nothing. Perhaps SARS2 patients should have their own ward where cross-contamination isn't an issue and the providers can use 1 mask all day like the Chinese often did without worrying about cross-contamination.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:26 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm sure you're not wrong. I'm guessing that's the standard procedure.

....but people with 10 years of schooling should be smart enough to realize that some changes need to be made when that procedure is going to make it so you have nothing. Perhaps SARS2 patients should have their own ward where cross-contamination isn't an issue and the providers can use 1 mask all day like the Chinese often did without worrying about cross-contamination.
I learned that they do have "covid ward" in local hospitals but the gray area is those who cough and maybe slightly elevated temp, but either not tested or tested but result not returned yet ...

I wish I had some smart solution. I can only keep my fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
destaccado (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 11:27 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well.... I am going back the the "Car value" threads- I thought I would never say that
I am with you.
I will go clean my bikes, wax my cars and eat more sugar.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:36 PM
MWA1977
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

These things have been "salad day" pricing for years. Less than $1/ea. Good luck guilt-tripping the majority of people that went out and bought them early into giving up their stash. Everyone knows doctors and nurses in their extended family to share them with directly. My 20 masks are already half gone to friends.

...but the lack of proper PPE and tomfoolery of using 20 of them in a single shift for a single provider rests squarely on the shoulders of the hospital administrators and the medical professionals themselves.
The number of “USA made” companies pales in stark comparison to the number of non-USA companies (mainly China) that makes the N95 mask. Not all N95 masks are equal, and many of the USA masks (though not all) are not certified for medical/surgical use but simply industrial use, I.e. Possibly like the mask GMG is using in their photo. See the insert from 3M that describes the difference:

What is the difference between a certified respirator and a surgical mask?
Respirators are designed to help reduce the wearer’s exposure to airborne particles. The primary purpose of a surgical mask is to help prevent biological particles (e.g. bacteria and viruses) from being expelled by the wearer into the environment. Surgical masks are not necessarily designed to seal tightly to the face, so air might leak around the edges.
Many surgical masks are also designed to be fluid-resistant to splash and splatter of blood and other bodily fluids.
Surgical masks may be provided to patients by healthcare organizations to help protect healthcare workers and other patients from particles being introduced into the room as a patient talks, sneezes or coughs.
Some approved respirators are designed to have the characteristics of both a respirator and a surgical mask. These products are often called “healthcare or medical respirators.” In the U.S., surgical N95 respirators are both approved by the U.S. National Institute of Safety and Health (NIOSH) and cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in surgery. In other countries, these products are often approved by two equivalent or similar agencies.

I am a physician as well, Anesthesiologists to be specific. My specialty, in addition to the Medical intensivists and several others are at greatest risk contracting this virus due to the respiratory comprise these patients suffer and need for intubation. My institution just reported our first positive case less than an hour ago. Only if you are actively caring for a COViD+ patient are you provided an N95 mask as part of our medical staff. Preventative use of N95 mask is NOT allowed at our hospital when caring for COVID negative patients because we simply don’t have enough masks to do so. So, I now roll the dice everyday I walk in to the hospital with just a simple plain surgical mask and a face shield as my “preventative protection” and pray I don’t contract it or spread it to my wife and 4 kids, or anyone else I come in contact with.

On a COVID+ patient, the number of N95 masks used to care for just one patient a day is numerous. Assume a basic team of an Intensivist, a nurse and an RT. Double that number for a 24 hour shift, so 6 staff members. Every single time they inter the room they must completely gown, glove, goggles, N95 masks. In a 24 hour shift the MD will likely enter say 4 times. Nurse at minimum 24 times. RT I would guess 24 times as well adjusting vent settings. So that’s 52 visits in 24 hours. Let’s cut that in half because my estimates are too high, that’s still 26 times. The risk of trying to disinfect an N95 mask after each use, which is possible but not recommended in this situation greatly puts the user at risk of viral transmission. It can be done, but would you want to take the risk? So yes, supplies are being exhausted very quickly.

No reason to point fingers, blame political parties, or act as though this is “just like the Flu”. We will ALL SUFFER, medically or economically, and many in both ways. Too late to say, “well, we should have done this or that.“ It’s time to say, “how can I help and how can we be better prepared in the future. Encourage
people to stay home. Please stay safe everyone.
The following 3 users liked this post by MWA1977:
dmac (03-20-2020), GiuseppeM (03-20-2020), Spoddle (03-21-2020)

Quick Reply: The Passion Keeps Pushing During the COVID-19 Pandemic