Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California - Exhaust Violation Questions / Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 04:50 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 71 Posts

Does your setup retain the valves? Common sense says close those puppies whenever you see a LEO.

I do agree with others...I think it's more of a "is this person a nuisance" vs. "is the car too loud" type enforcement.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C5driver
Certain agencies are worse than others. Stay away from Santa Barbara...even parking enforcement will ticket you for no front plate.
I was actually pulled over in SB for no front plate. No other violation - just the plate.

@OP with respect to emissions testing and your headers - CA only tests new cars with the computer, no more sniff test. Unless you go to a place with an extremely dedicated tech or your car is throwing a code due to the headers you will have no problems with the modified exhaust and smog testing.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ThEnder
I was actually pulled over in SB for no front plate. No other violation - just the plate.

@OP with respect to emissions testing and your headers - CA only tests new cars with the computer, no more sniff test. Unless you go to a place with an extremely dedicated tech or your car is throwing a code due to the headers you will have no problems with the modified exhaust and smog testing.
They are checking the readiness monitors, those can checked easily with a scanner. You can have no codes but if the monitors are not set, you will not pass.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Yeah, that's just not true. In California, he SMOG tester is required to complete a visual inspection of the exhaust/emissions system and confirm that it has not been modified and, if it has, he has to be able to verify that all the modified parts are CARB compliant.

3.10 What are the elements of a Smog Check?

Smog Checks are designed to measure the amount and type of pollutants your vehicle is emitting. A Smog Check may include any of the following tests:
  • Visual inspection of emission control components and systems
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's check engine light, ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation system, fuel evaporative system, and gas cap
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system
  • Tailpipe emissions inspection

3.11 Why are additional inspections of a vehicle necessary if it passes a tailpipe inspection?

The tailpipe test alone cannot guarantee that a car is not emitting harmful amounts of pollutants into California's air. The visual and functional inspections of a vehicle's emission control components and system ensures that the vehicle has all required equipment and that the systems are working properly. These inspections also help prevent evaporative emissions. These types of emissions are created even when the vehicle is not operational. The visual and functional tests also help identify vehicles with tampered (i.e. missing, modified, or disconnected) emissions control systems.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:43 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, that's just not true. In California, he SMOG tester is required to complete a visual inspection of the exhaust/emissions system and confirm that it has not been modified and, if it has, he has to be able to verify that all the modified parts are CARB compliant.

3.10 What are the elements of a Smog Check?

Smog Checks are designed to measure the amount and type of pollutants your vehicle is emitting. A Smog Check may include any of the following tests:
  • Visual inspection of emission control components and systems
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's check engine light, ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation system, fuel evaporative system, and gas cap
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system
  • Tailpipe emissions inspection

3.11 Why are additional inspections of a vehicle necessary if it passes a tailpipe inspection?

The tailpipe test alone cannot guarantee that a car is not emitting harmful amounts of pollutants into California's air. The visual and functional inspections of a vehicle's emission control components and system ensures that the vehicle has all required equipment and that the systems are working properly. These inspections also help prevent evaporative emissions. These types of emissions are created even when the vehicle is not operational. The visual and functional tests also help identify vehicles with tampered (i.e. missing, modified, or disconnected) emissions control systems.
I live in CA and have had many cars (including those with modified exhausts) tested - the inspector has yet to perform a visual check of the exhaust components. Most of the time they haven't even bothered to open the hood. There's a big difference between what they are supposed to do and what actually happens. Maybe your experience has been different.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:45 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
oh, and car culture in SoCal is massively better than Norcal. That's a fact.
DUH. I mean LA Porsche car culture is unmatched anywhere in the world. There's not even a close second.
And I'm in NorCal.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:08 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone out there had any experience with smog testing when you just have a simple bypass, that most of us on here have, i.e. BBi, GRP, GMG, etc.? I know it will pass the pollution side of the smog test, the only concern is the brand logo on the top of the tips. IMO, is the only visual concern.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by joemelsha
Did a little searching online, not too much information all in one place - especially for Rennlist. I did see this: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...aust-laws.html (but it doesn't really answer any of my questions).

I moved out here last May with a 2014 GT3 with a fully stock exhaust system. Lived here for only about 2 months and got a ticket for having a modified exhaust system, fine came to about $200 and they did not force me to get my car tested. Ended up just paying it, too much work for $200 .
The officer was pretty new to the force / young and flat out said he "could not look" and that I needed to "argue it in court", extremely rude and unhelpful officer - ruined my night. Was literally just picking up In-N-Out on a Friday night for a couple of my friends, sadly turns out that's when all of the highschoolers like to congregate in the parking lot there and do one wheel peels (For reference: I'm pretty young which prompted the officer to literally ask me if I was coming here to do burnouts to which I responded by giving him the most confused look of my life. Pretty sure he thought it wasn't my car or my parents bought it for me.)
[I live in the San Joaquin County / Lodi area, and my citation was - 27151 (a) CVC - modified exhaust]

Fast forward to today, I have an "arrest me now edition" Lava Orange 2016 GT3 RS with a full Dundon street system (long tube headers, valved side bypass, and black 'loud' center muffler). I have yet to be pulled over (but it's coming) and I am wondering if ya'll out here have had any issues and if so what your experience was.
I assume I will eventually be pulled over for it, and possibly even sent to the state ref. I am willing to swap it back to stock to pass any of their testing, but I'm wondering since this setup still has 200-cell (sport) cats, as opposed to the stock 400-cell cats that I might be able to pass emissions?
I heard that they do not test for sound which is a plus.
I also don't have a front plate (and never will!), so I assume I'm going to get tickets for that as well (don't care )
I haven't had an officer ask to look "under the hood", but it's going to be pretty funny when they actually ask

Anyway, TL;DR - just looking to hear other Rennlister's experiences with GT3/2/4/RS exhaust (modified or stock) and the California popo.

It sucks to get tickets like that. I had the ZR1 out today. With the loudest exhaust setting I was wide open throttle and the only thing I worried about was giving the wildlife a heart attack. That is a serious threat lol.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:56 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
If you want to play, you gotta pay. is what it is.

the law is subjective on the noise issue. Despite stating 95db how many cops are driving around with DB meters? right. I suspect that is why the 'auto fine' was changed as it would lose any challenge in court.

just don't drive like a hoon around town, save it for the track and the canyons

hell my 997rs is stock (now) and blows over 100db at full tilt...

on the smog, the last thing you want to do is get flagged for a modified car and get to visit the smog referee. And if you do, NEVER show up with mods, NEVER. Buddy had a major issue dealing with this a few months back.

oh, and car culture in SoCal is massively better than Norcal. That's a fact.
I hear you!

How about that almost permanent electronic No Loud Exhaust sign at the top of the switchbacks. I don't blame the residents though. It can get unruly on the weekends.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I hear you!

How about that almost permanent electronic No Loud Exhaust sign at the top of the switchbacks. I don't blame the residents though. It can get unruly on the weekends.
have them in my neighborhood. I’ve seen people,pulled over. All harleys. Cops here are generally pretty chill. Not like the gestapo in Newport or IRVINE.

Originally Posted by merc5326
Has anyone out there had any experience with smog testing when you just have a simple bypass, that most of us on here have, i.e. BBi, GRP, GMG, etc.? I know it will pass the pollution side of the smog test, the only concern is the brand logo on the top of the tips. IMO, is the only visual concern.
exhaust mods post emissions equipment are carb compliant

Originally Posted by laranja
DUH. I mean LA Porsche car culture is unmatched anywhere in the world. There's not even a close second.
And I'm in NorCal.
i do like your roads. We need another road trip. No bikes. Lol

I live in CA and have had many cars (including those with modified exhausts) tested - the inspector has yet to perform a visual check of the exhaust components. Most of the time they haven't even bothered to open the hood. There's a big difference between what they are supposed to do and what actually happens. Maybe your experience has been different.
just got my antique smog test today. I go there a lot. Small one man show. Nice owner. Pull in. “Oh hey just back it in we need to do this one on the dyno” hand him my paperwork. He sets csr on dyno. Fills out a few things in his computer. Looks over at me “car all,stock?” “ yep!”

runs on dyno. Passes clean. On the sniffer test (pre odb2 cars)

gone. Didn’t open engine bay. Look anywhere. Never does.

i did have one guy a few years ago no **** had the carb computer open going through all the components no kidding one by one. Car was stock no issues. Guy must have gotten busted recently or was new over achiever.

my stock (lol) car:

Old 03-06-2020, 01:08 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in the same area and I've had my 2015 GT3 for a year with Sharkwerks. I also don't have front plates and windows tinted. I haven't had any issue yet.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:47 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I can confirm that SoCal is full of crime, poseur rich kids, and everything else you guys said. Cops will shoot you first and ask if your exhaust is modified later. People will look down on you for walking around in dockers and a puffy gilet. Definitely avoid it and stay in NorCal!
The following 2 users liked this post by bigkraig:
Spyerx (03-07-2020), stephen k (03-07-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 08:43 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The homeless culture is also better in SoCal so we'll send them your way.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Jerrym
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rcristobal
The homeless culture is also better in SoCal so we'll send them your way.
thats how I feel...

Quick Reply: California - Exhaust Violation Questions / Experiences