Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.. Strange Problem ..991.2 GT3 RS BOTH FRONT TIRES RUBBING

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Yes, at full lock but he’s herring it on track and that isn’t normal in a .2RS.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:11 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is some update ...
It does not really address the handling issue.. but clarifies the liner deformation and rubbing issue.

The main rubbing noise was from the front of the tire touching the front well liner.....not so much the back liner as i had believed.
According to Porsche tire heat and probably hot rubber, not brakes, heated and deformed/drooped this particular area of the well liner to a point where at certain steering angles the tires would rub against or catch the edge of the well liner at this particular deformed seam area. (See pics)

The back side of the well can also rub.. but very little at near full lock... and thats considered normal since the tolerance is ridiculously small.. about 1 mm or 2 .
On one side mine was a bit dislocated ....which they have adjusted..
The sounds i heard while driving were primarily from the deformed areas on the front of the well.
They have replaced the deformed parts with new Updated(?) parts according to the SA.

I test drove the car for quite a while.. and sound is gone.. All seems to be clear!
But.. the handling issue is still there.. the car is just too tail happy!
Another thing i noticed when testing today...screeching tire spin and the electronic stability light comes on way too quickly and way more often than they did before.
Not confidence inspiring at all! Though cool for drifting..
Im pretty sure im not dreaming here... i have spent a lot of time driving this car aggressively in the past one year .. and something is just not right.
Maybe my tires? Though they have good thread depth and few heat cycles.. maybe they have prematurely lost their stickiness???
Alignment and weight balance are off? ( but The SA says everything check out .. nothing is off..... 🤷🏼‍♂️)

AS A/S suggested i plan to take it to Werks II.. and have them take a look ... If no resolution then ill try new tires... etc..
Kind of bummed for now.

​​​​But got to admit... outside of the track and canyons ( where i drive the car the most) .... its kind of fun having the easy drift/oversteer.. kind of playful .....

Last edited by yojimbo007; 02-15-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

That’s not rubbing.
This was. .1RS lowered a bit too much ( wasn’t much on .1RS)

Old 02-15-2020, 05:12 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

What do you mean its not rubbing..? It did rub.. maybe not as extreme as yours.. but it did rub.. and heat from the tire did deform the liner.

Yours is truly extreme...and its due to the lowering mod you did .. mine is stock .. zero mods.
How were you able to continue driving the car with such extreme rubbing to get it to that state of wear... ? Wow... ..
Old 02-17-2020, 06:51 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

CRex.. thanks..

Yes my car has the front axel lift..... And it works properly as far as i can tell..... i dont see anything odd there. Im curios why you ask ?
As for liners not deforming being spot on.... well you can clearly see that they have deformed.. and the tires rub against the deformed area or catch an edge at certain steering angles.
On top, lots of debris and hot rubber ends up trapped in there making it worse.
I believe if left alone they could droop even more and cause the tire to catch an edge even more harshly and break the whole thing.

My advice to Gt3 owners.. take a quick look and see if yours has this issue .

As for struts..
Dealer checked everything and said all suspension set up is to spec ...but i will take it to Werks II and see what they say.
At this point i have a feeling it could be tires that have gone bad prematurely. ..?!? 🤔

Thank you all for your input!👊🏼🤙🏼
Old 02-19-2020, 02:53 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by yojimbo007
Yes my car has the front axel lift..... And it works properly as far as i can tell..... i dont see anything odd there. Im curios why you ask ?
Part of the FAL sits on the front damper tube, and that ends up restricting the amount of height adjustment possible (learned that the hard way myself). It's simply not possible to go below a certain front height because the FAL will get in the way of those adjustment collars...

That said FAL also introduces another variable into your geometry. You really need to be sure it's in the completely lowered position when doing your setup. For mine, in both the 991.1 and 991.2, they take almost half a minute of driving around to be reach "rock bottom".

Hope this helps you dial out the issue soon!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:36 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by CRex
Part of the FAL sits on the front damper tube, and that ends up restricting the amount of height adjustment possible (learned that the hard way myself). It's simply not possible to go below a certain front height because the FAL will get in the way of those adjustment collars...

That said FAL also introduces another variable into your geometry. You really need to be sure it's in the completely lowered position when doing your setup. For mine, in both the 991.1 and 991.2, they take almost half a minute of driving around to be reach "rock bottom".

Hope this helps you dial out the issue soon!
Very Helpful..
Thanks so much ! 👊🏼🙏

(p.s. is that your car in the thumbnail? Great graphics and setup.. .. if its yours, can u give a bit more detail about whats been done to it ?)

Cheers

Old 02-19-2020, 10:18 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 631 Posts

Most of these cars rub the fender liner completely stock.

Last edited by cosmos; 02-19-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:02 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

My .2 3RS also rubs the front liner at full lock. I’m bringing it for 1yr service next month and will have them investigate, mine did it from day 1.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:02 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

Seems the thing to do is put the Cup car inner fender liner in and its higher in the wheel well.
What are the odds your dragging the tire to the liner cooked your tires by over temp them. Do you have a durommeter at least you can and compare them to others.

My attempt at help
Ian
Old 02-20-2020, 01:11 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Cosmo and Dot 23
Please see my post #17 above.

There are 3 issues that i brought up here.
1- The handling issue which was the main reason for me to start investigating whats going on. Still not resolved ...back end is real loose PSM kicks in way too frequently and early and when switched off the TC kicks in way too frequently and early . ( as compared to what i am used to seeing on this car).

2- Rubbing ( which turns out to be normal at very minimal level at full lock, beyond its not )

3-Deformation and drooping of the well liner due to heat which exacerbates rubbing and could potentially cause the liners to fall apart! .. ( not normal at all) yet my liners did deform under heat and Porsche replaced them Under warranty.

My belief at this point is that my tires, though still have good thread, are shot prematurely due to overheating ... or something more involved is going on?

The car is going to Werks II for inspection
I will report as soon as it has been inspected and issue resolved.

Thanks for your inputs!

Old 02-20-2020, 01:19 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyjets
Seems the thing to do is put the Cup car inner fender liner in and its higher in the wheel well.
What are the odds your dragging the tire to the liner cooked your tires by over temp them. Do you have a durommeter at least you can and compare them to others.

My attempt at help
Ian
Thanks Ian.
I did not know it is possibility to put cup liners on the RS .. ..Interesting 🤔🤔.
As for Durometer.... No i dont have one... curios though .. at what temp would one measure hardness.. track temps?

Hoping Werks II will have all the necessary equipment to check for all possibilities... 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Cheers

Old 02-20-2020, 09:48 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

I measure my Tires B4 I go out gives me an idea of the grip left in them.
Ian
Old 02-20-2020, 07:35 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyjets
I measure my Tires B4 I go out gives me an idea of the grip left in them.
Ian
Interesting..
what number do u look for ?
Are these on cup 2? Cold ? Or a certain temp ?

Last edited by yojimbo007; 02-21-2020 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:38 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

P.s. FYI ...these are my 3trd set of tires im on in 9700 miles now...

Last edited by yojimbo007; 04-09-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Help.. Strange Problem ..991.2 GT3 RS BOTH FRONT TIRES RUBBING