Sponsored by:

OT: Tax resident of NY, bought car in Oregon to be store in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Mav- I think you are mixing income tax rules with motor vehicle registration rules. My only point is that legal residency doesn't dictate where a vehicle gets registered. If the car in question is primarily in Manhattan, the NY DMV will tell you they should be registered in NY. The DMV is simply unable to enforce the rules as they apply to myriad different factual situations. I'm sure I would take the exact same approach as you if I was in a similar situation. I'm all for saving taxes. Other more blatant registration tax avoidance schemes carry far more risk. How much risk one is willing to take is a personal business decision.
‘Yes, make sense think we’re saying some of the same stuff. For me the local tax land DMV gets intertwined because I used to get asked why GA plates and have a city apartment? I wouldn’t keep a car in NY all the time, and send it back to GA and back sometimes. Now I just don’t drive at all in NYC all cars back in GA. Thx I follow your point, but the residency is key because it’s how you pay sales tax or not.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:16 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Google will help you out. Here is a link for you. First bullet even states if you are not a resident, registration from your home state is valid.
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-state-vehicle
Old 02-08-2020, 10:26 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Google will help you out. Here is a link for you. First bullet even states if you are not a resident, registration from your home state is valid.
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-state-vehicle
‘bingo I know wasn’t crazy ......done it for 10 years and never a problem. What’s cool GA would allow me to register my car minus a smog check I just had to show proof the car is in NY. They don’t expect you to drive it down, and back just for registration which I thought was cool.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I recall last summer registering an out of state purchase at DMV and they needed to see my driver's license, showing Oregon residence.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:26 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

No NY connection, no NY tax. Oregon registration = Oregon tax.
So, just how do you propose he registers the car in OR?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:31 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I recall last summer registering an out of state purchase at DMV and they needed to see my driver's license, showing Oregon residence.
The OR DMV will want to see your OR DL, OR proof of residence and proof of insurance. There may be other forms of ‘identification’ (e.g. businesses) which also meet the criteria.

There is also a new tax (.5% IIRC) for new vehicles purchased from out of state dealers.
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Think there’s more to the story here we don’t know? Question to the poster what drivers license will you have think I know the answer NY? Seems odd to have a car full time in a state you don’t live in or do you have a 2nd home there? Also was it a used car or new car purchase, and if new the dealer has to charge you NY taxes and you would need a OR license to register.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Think there’s more to the story here we don’t know? Question to the poster what drivers license will you have think I know the answer NY? Seems odd to have a car full time in a state you don’t live in or do you have a 2nd home there? Also was it a used car or new car purchase, and if new the dealer has to charge you NY taxes and you would need a OR license to register.
No offense to the OP but details are vague...he's made 3 posts in this thread....what I think I know is that his legal domicile in NY....he bought a car in OR, is leaving it there, and wants to register it there (and by default pay no sales tax)

The only thing missing is what information he is going to use to register the car there.....a business, relative?....nothing he has in NY will work
Old 02-08-2020, 03:08 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

FWIW (Regardless of OP’s situation)... since 2018, Oregon is NO LONGER tax free for car purchases in or out of state...

Albeit just 1/2 of 1 percent.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:43 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
FWIW (Regardless of OP’s situation)... since 2018, Oregon is NO LONGER tax free for car purchases in or out of state...

Albeit just 1/2 of 1 percent.

Not that this really matters to the OPs question, but as I alluded to three posts back, there is a .5% tax for vehicles purchased out of state. The vehicle privilege tax is to OR dealers - which they may certainly try to pass along to the consumer. So, an in state, new vehicle purchase can certainly still be tax free to the consumer. Also, OR annual registration runs only about $100....
Old 02-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
So, just how do you propose he registers the car in OR?
One common way would be through an Oregon LLC.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:36 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

One common way would be through an Oregon LLC.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:33 PM
jp884
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
You will pay sales tax in the state that you register it in. You also need an address to register the car. Create an LLC in Oregon and register it there under your LLC. The companies that help set up the LLC can manage the mail for you and you use their address.

I did this in Montana recently to avoid the 10% sales tax in Louisiana. The LLC cost me $569. I'm buying two new Porsches in the next 20 months and not paying all that tax.
It's great until you get caught. Believe me I'm all for avoiding taxes from tax happy states. But the Montana LLC game is nothing new and states are beginning to crack down on this and retrospectively penalizing people that have done it. I believe this already happened in GA where people had to pay back taxes. For me it's not worth the legal battle if it I have to fight it. You have to assume that states view this as theft of their money although it is your money and they will fight like a pitbull with rabies when it boils down. Add to it the current political climate that the rich get away with everything and well, their won't be too much sympathy for us if it goes to court (not mentioning what the legal cost may be).
The following 2 users liked this post by jp884:
AlexCeres (03-04-2020), goin2drt (03-02-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:29 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I guess most of the folks here have not heard of use tax, and I am a CPA.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Just to bring back the old thread and more details as things are getting clearer for myself.

Few pointers

1. I am a tax resident of NY. Works and stays over 183 days in the state of NY. Or, wherever the state I will move to. I assume I will pay income taxes to NY state

2. I did inherit a small place in Portland, OR recently. (Crazy thing is Portland does not allow short term rental lol)

3. Buy the car and store the car in Oregon.

Do I have to pay any part of NY sales tax just because I am a tax resident of NY?

Quick Reply: OT: Tax resident of NY, bought car in Oregon to be store in Oregon