Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires - Michelin PS4S vs. Cup2 for NorCal DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:00 AM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I had planned to pull my Dunlop Race Maxx 2's off my GT4 and go with the PS4S for all the reasons discussed, until I actually put some miles on the car. Now I'm not so sure. What surprises me about the Cup 2 comments are the noise complaints. I find the Dunlops super quiet, so much so that I wondered if that was typical for a track tire with less siping. They are crazy quiet compared to PZeros or the prior Michelin Super Sports I ran on other cars.

The second is just the turn in and crazy grip, even at pretty low temps. I pulled out of my driveway at 46 degrees a few days ago for a spirited drive, car was outside overnight, tires at 30lbs cold, dry pavement. Hit the hills and the grip was still fantastic and pressures came up to 33-35lbs. I expect that they will suck in the rain or seriously cold weather, but I've been surprised at how well they perform even down to the high 40's, which is about as bad as it gets here in my part of California.
I did not notice much of a noise difference between Cup's and 4S because my exhaust is loud, and I like to drive with open windows. Noise may have been reduced, but I have no clue lol

Got 4's because they are way better in cooler temps and wet conditions than Cup's.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I've run PS4S on track, in the Smokies and on the street in my GT4. In my GT3 I've run both on the street and in the Smokies with the 4S and Cup 2s. You can't beat the 4S in the rain. They are a little slower on the track but very predictable. Driving in the Smokies with the 4S I didn't have anyone hanging on my bumper trying to get around me in the dry or wet. And you can get a lot more miles out of the 4S. If I were doing 6 to 8 track events a year again I'd put Cup 2s on the car with a second set of wheels and run the 4S on the street.

Last edited by Alan C.; 02-04-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've run PS4S on track, in the Smokies and on the street in my GT4. In my GT3 I've run both on the street and in the Smokies with the 4S and Cup 2s. You can't beat the 4S in the rain. They are a little slower on the track but very predictable. Driving in the Smokies with the 4S I didn't have anyone hanging on my bumper trying to get around me in the dry or wet. And you can get a lot more miles out of the 4S. If I were doing 6 to 8 track events a year again I'd put Cup 2s on the car with a second set of wheels and run the 4S on the street.
Do you notice any loss in turn in sharpness versus the Cup 2 and/or general softness with the 4S?
Old 02-05-2021, 03:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

With the 4S at Mid-Ohio the rear feels a bit loose on turn in at T2 if using the kink before the keyhole. Other than that just a bit less grip in general. YRMV If you are hunting ultimate lap times it would not be your tire of choice.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
With the 4S at Mid-Ohio the rear feels a bit loose on turn in at T2 if using the kink before the keyhole. Other than that just a bit less grip in general. YRMV If you are hunting ultimate lap times it would not be your tire of choice.
No, I'm not at all. Just really liking the grip and sharp turn in of the Race Maxx 2 on the street and not sure I want to sacrifice anything. I've been very surprised. Did not expect to like them this much as a street tire. Fully expected to replace with the 4S, even considered doing it before taking delivery of the car, but then figured it would be worth trying out the Dunlops first. It will be interesting to see how far the Dunlops go and how they handle their first real rain test. That will factor into my decision come replacement time.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:33 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

No, I'm not at all. Just really liking the grip and sharp turn in of the Race Maxx 2 on the street and not sure I want to sacrifice anything. I've been very surprised. Did not expect to like them this much as a street tire. Fully expected to replace with the 4S, even considered doing it before taking delivery of the car, but then figured it would be worth trying out the Dunlops first. It will be interesting to see how far the Dunlops go and how they handle their first real rain test. That will factor into my decision come replacement time.
I'm interested to hear more on this. I took the Maxx Race 2's off my car almost immediately. Still have them sitting in the garage. Pondering whether to use them as a summer tire or ???
Old 02-05-2021, 04:37 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I had planned to pull my Dunlop Race Maxx 2's off my GT4 and go with the PS4S for all the reasons discussed, until I actually put some miles on the car. Now I'm not so sure. What surprises me about the Cup 2 comments are the noise complaints. I find the Dunlops super quiet, so much so that I wondered if that was typical for a track tire with less siping. They are crazy quiet compared to PZeros or the prior Michelin Super Sports I ran on other cars.

The second is just the turn in and crazy grip, even at pretty low temps. I pulled out of my driveway at 46 degrees a few days ago for a spirited drive, car was outside overnight, tires at 30lbs cold, dry pavement. Hit the hills and the grip was still fantastic and pressures came up to 33-35lbs. I expect that they will suck in the rain or seriously cold weather, but I've been surprised at how well they perform even down to the high 40's, which is about as bad as it gets here in my part of California.
This has been my (limited so far) experience with the Dunlops. I've taken the car out every opportunity I get to drive for more than 30 minutes - to the mountains, taking my daughter to rock climbing, to scout meetings. The weather has been highs up to 60, but often in the 40s and while the tires are stiff when first moving they have not given me the least reason to doubt grip even when temps are near 30s.

I haven't been out in the rain/wet yet and don't plan to.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts

FWIW I’m in the NE, and it gets cold and wet here a lot. I just did an autocross class (I’m not interested in tracking my car, but 30 - 50 in a parking lot is fun), and one thing that was emphasized was that at colder temps (below 40) high performance compound tires can crack. I’ve found also that getting caught out in the rain on PSC2’s is no bueno. VERY easy to slide out the back in standing water. I’m seriously thinking of putting on PS4’s as 99% of my driving is on road, and don’t want to worry about wet/cold conditions.

Separately, I’ve done a ton of snow driving in everything from SUV’s to 911 Turbo’s (4WD) to crappy front wheel drive Hyundai’s (got caught driving from Vail to Denver in a blizzard through the pass - scary as it gets). To me, the idea of driving a GT3 in the snow is nuts (clearance, grip, tread, $$$$$$$$$$$). Now the Turbo S - that’s a FUN snow car with the right tires.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgwirtz
FWIW I’m in the NE, and it gets cold and wet here a lot. I just did an autocross class (I’m not interested in tracking my car, but 30 - 50 in a parking lot is fun), and one thing that was emphasized was that at colder temps (below 40) high performance compound tires can crack. I’ve found also that getting caught out in the rain on PSC2’s is no bueno. VERY easy to slide out the back in standing water. I’m seriously thinking of putting on PS4’s as 99% of my driving is on road, and don’t want to worry about wet/cold conditions.

Separately, I’ve done a ton of snow driving in everything from SUV’s to 911 Turbo’s (4WD) to crappy front wheel drive Hyundai’s (got caught driving from Vail to Denver in a blizzard through the pass - scary as it gets). To me, the idea of driving a GT3 in the snow is nuts (clearance, grip, tread, $$$$$$$$$$$). Now the Turbo S - that’s a FUN snow car with the right tires.
not too mention that the GT3 (certainly used to) have less anti-corrosion sealant on its underside!
Old 05-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Mikli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What PSI your guys are running with the PS4S for the highway?
Old 05-07-2021, 10:15 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Stock - 29F/33R
The following 2 users liked this post by 911TurboRules:
Mikli (05-07-2021), RockyTopTenn (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:31 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm running the Cup2s as a daily and have 21k miles on the car now. I live in Norcal and it can rain fairly heavily in the wintertime. Used it then too... was it a handful? Yes. Was it dangerous? No - you just gotta drive slower than others. The percentage of time it rains is low enough that the tradeoff of great handling when warm vs sloppier wet characteristics is worth it to me. Now, I drive fairly aggressively even to work (who can't in this car?) with plenty of cloverleafs and twisty bits on the way - so I can get it closer to operating temp. I would keep that in mind as well.

Quick Reply: Tires - Michelin PS4S vs. Cup2 for NorCal DD