Sponsored by:

Porsche Track Precision App at COTA

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 01:45 AM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Porsche Track Precision App at COTA

Had a blast at COTA over the weekend attending the Chin Motorsports DE event. Just got a 991.2 6MT and installed the GMG center bypass exhaust at Soulspeed in Austin.

This was my first time in the GT3 since I got it last month and the car is absolutely sublime and significantly better than my 2018 M3 Competition. I'm still getting used to the significantly better acceleration and handling. COTA was just repaved in several areas and is so much smoother now.

After some research and trial and error, I finally got the Porsche Track Precision App to connect and work. If anyone has any advice on getting the app to stay connected to an external GoPro and getting this same overlay, please let me know because I would like to do that soon but haven't been able to get that to work. Its so much easier to use this app than what I was doing previously with Harry's Lap Timer, External GPS, and an OBD II reader.

This is with the GoPro with an external mic near the exhaust without overlay:

Old 02-04-2020, 06:36 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts

Are u on Android or iOS? No luck for me on Android since late October... If I reset everything, phone and PCM, I can get it to connect once but power cycle car and no bueno. Ive tried 3 different Android phones,
Old 02-04-2020, 06:42 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts

Are u on Android or iOS? No luck for me on Android since late October... If I reset everything, phone and PCM, I can get it to connect once but power cycle car and no bueno. Ive tried 3 different Android phones,
Old 02-04-2020, 10:11 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 262 Posts

You add the GoPro footage AFTER the fact, as external video... so you'll need to find the right file for a given lap or session and then import that to your phone/ipad with PTPA on it.
Then you can marry it up.

Once you have this working you can then turn off video recording on your phone and then use it purely as the timer/datalogger. Then record your footage and audio on the GoPro and again import it after the fact.
The following users liked this post:
CarmineGT3 (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 12:26 PM
03BeastCharmer
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. Looks much smoother than when I was last there. May actually have to attend Schnell fest again this year.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:01 AM
CarmineGT3
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TDT
You add the GoPro footage AFTER the fact, as external video... so you'll need to find the right file for a given lap or session and then import that to your phone/ipad with PTPA on it.
Then you can marry it up.

Once you have this working you can then turn off video recording on your phone and then use it purely as the timer/datalogger. Then record your footage and audio on the GoPro and again import it after the fact.
Wow, thank you so much for this heads up! I didn't realize this was an option until you just mentioned it and found how to do it on the app. This is very helpful.

Quick Reply: Porsche Track Precision App at COTA