Import or not to Import to UK

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 04:06 AM
JabsZA
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Import or not to Import to UK

Hey All,

My work situation is changing and i will be relocating to London in the near future from Munich (originally from the US)

I am at two minds whether to take my 991.1 GT3 with.

I will not have to pay VAT, as the car is a 2015 model and passes the 6000km threshold.
I had plans to upgrade to a 991.2 (manual), but i bought this 2015 model with 500km on the clock, so i know this car inside out, i love it - and the idea of selling it now, and then buying a 991.2 in the UK - where the prices are 10%, sometimes even 20% higher - is giving me pause.

Of course LHD vs RHD is another variable to consider. I have driven both in my life, so this is not an issue...HOWEVER, if i am not going to stay in the UK long term, i am reluctant to buy and then take with me a RHD car, as the market for those is much smaller i reckon outside of UK.

I dont know how long i will be in the UK for. I reckon 2-3 years max, and then it will most likely be back to the US..so i could take the 991.1 with me again...

Darn - what do you think? Has anyone done something similar in the past? Any regrets - insights?

Appreciate your views,

Marek
Old 02-04-2020, 05:28 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 123 Posts

I have done the UK to Euro stint and did not take my car (993), a UK right hook.

In my experience a trade with an alt side wheel was hard to get 75% of value.

Agree about UK pricing, but if you buy you recoup that on exit to Euro or US.

If you decide to sell the GT3, you could "re export" it to the continent....

But if it is for a couple of years, I would take the GT3, just remember daily driving can be a little challenging, only after 10yr did I stop occasionally heading for the "wrong" side of the road....
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldnt import.
Either I would sell the car In Germany and buy another one in UK. 2015 cars should have deprecated more.
Or I would get a temp license. But I am not sure how it will be dine with Brexit. In UK the insurances are crazy. Hence i would keep a German plate.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by JabsZA
Hey All,

My work situation is changing and i will be relocating to London in the near future from Munich (originally from the US)

I am at two minds whether to take my 991.1 GT3 with.

I will not have to pay VAT, as the car is a 2015 model and passes the 6000km threshold.
I had plans to upgrade to a 991.2 (manual), but i bought this 2015 model with 500km on the clock, so i know this car inside out, i love it - and the idea of selling it now, and then buying a 991.2 in the UK - where the prices are 10%, sometimes even 20% higher - is giving me pause.

Of course LHD vs RHD is another variable to consider. I have driven both in my life, so this is not an issue...HOWEVER, if i am not going to stay in the UK long term, i am reluctant to buy and then take with me a RHD car, as the market for those is much smaller i reckon outside of UK.

I dont know how long i will be in the UK for. I reckon 2-3 years max, and then it will most likely be back to the US..so i could take the 991.1 with me again...

Darn - what do you think? Has anyone done something similar in the past? Any regrets - insights?

Appreciate your views,

Marek
I cant speak to the financial side of things, but having driven 2x LHDs in the UK in the past I would "state the obvious" that there are two really serious shortcomings of doing so:
1) overtaking larger vehicles on (non-motorway) roads - somewhat mitigated by the acceleration of the GT3 ... but requires much care and attention to complete safely
2) *every* car park barrier ... when you have to leap out of the car, run round to the ticket machine, pull the ticket and run back quickly in order to get through the barrier ... much to the ire of the cars behind you

Also note you need to get your headlights properly adjusted if you don't want all the oncoming traffic flashing you!!!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Also note you need to get your headlights properly adjusted if you don't want all the oncoming traffic flashing you!!!
991s have this function built-in on the instrument cluster.

Left Hand Drive for Right Hand Traffic option.
The following users liked this post:
NevB (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

I'm a LHD native that lived in the UK for a while. I cycled thru a lot of cars while there: LHD and RHD in manual and auto, as dd's and toys. Clearly if u r a RHD native, gotta do RHD esp as a DD. But as a LHD native, I found pretty equal pros/cons to either side of the car; neither was ever truly ideal. It's like getting really good writing with left hand as a right handed person

Quick Reply: Import or not to Import to UK