Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon / DSC upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 12:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

DSC does what it's supposed to do. I sum it up as if seems like the shocks react faster, especially at the track over bumps.
The following users liked this post:
DSC Sport (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Five
Very interesting. This adjusts the software settings on the magnetic dampers? Why didn’t Porsche program the OEM settings this good? Is there still a “soccer mom” (soft for universal users) factor even in GT cars? Thanks.
We cannot speak for the car manufacturer as to why. I suppose it is the same scenario as the exhaust system and the braking system where both systems can be improved and the aftermarket has the solution.

We are sportscars/track enthusiasts in a position to produce a plug&play suspension controller and software that's designed for other enthusiasts who wants more versatility with no performance compromise.
One of many features of DSC is Velocity Tuning, which uses the car's existing ride height sensors to tune compression and rebound of the dampers in rear time. The OEM controller does not have this feature since the additional drivers aren't built into the controller.

Our standard calibration makes the ride softer in Normal mode, but not "soccer mom" soft. It can be adjusted to softer using our software but most users like our standard calibration as is. In fact, at a recent track event I asked a few GT car owners who already have DSC id they want the Normal mode to be softer they all said no, we like it the way it is. Nonetheless, the adjustability is there.

sales@dscsport.com | (410) 799-7798
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Last edited by DSC Sport; 02-03-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:39 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Now, for DSC users who actually want the Normal mode to be another 5% softer or just want to try and see, we did make a calibration file that we named the "Tour" file. The only change on the Tour file is the Normal mode is made 5% softer than our DSC standard file. The Sport mode is unchanged from our DSC GT3/RS/GT2RS standard file.
This calibration file is available in the DSC Sport website for DSC users.

The following 3 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
aaa335 (02-05-2020), BlazinPond (02-05-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (07-07-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 05:18 PM
GT3Bob
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Premier Sportscar Service (P1) in Las Vegas did a complete alignment/component setup on my 2016 RS in November '19 primarily to add stability and even out the tire wear. Solid bushings in the thrust arms and rear steer actuators, significant camber added. Solid improvement on the track, eliminated the outer shoulder tire wear, and a bit more skittish on the street, but manageable.

We also added the firmer RS spring kit - and here is where I questioned my spring upgrade decision. Definitely stiffer on the street (not enjoyable), and weirdly enough, actually lost grip on the track - I suppose due to spring oscillation and 2016 stock suspension programming. Could not use the 'sport' stiffer suspension setting on track at all. Tight - bouncing and unpredictable in the mildly bumpy areas, hard to control bouncing off curbs, and no grip in the fast sweepers, even on the softer suspension setting.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, P1 installed the RS v3 DSC controller. Night and day performance improvement! Very noticeable on the street - softer and more comfortable, very close to the original stock ride, even with the stiffer spring kit. And even more noticeable on the track. Grip returned in a big way - the car is super stable, well planted everywhere, and does not get upset easily, even in the bumpy, quick transitions. The stiffer DSC mode works very well, soft when needed and firm without feeling over-sprung.

For those who are thinking of upgrading the ride and performance of the 2016 GT3's and RS's, I highly recommend the DSC controller upgrade... low cost, high performance gain!
The following 4 users liked this post by GT3Bob:
AK. (09-20-2022), BlazinPond (02-05-2020), DSC Sport (02-05-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (07-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:52 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 393 Posts

I did the full dundon system as well as the DSC on my 3RS. Both are amazing and transformed the car. Would do it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by joejenie:
bogey1 (02-08-2020), DSC Sport (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:23 AM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 44 Posts

I am tempted by this for sure (DSC). I have. 991.2 Gt3 rs and there isn’t a huge amount of feedback on same, or would seem the gains are marginal. Has anyone got relevant experience they could share?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:51 AM
exacc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, just curious, are the calibration files for a 991.1RS and a 991.2RS different or the same? It seems from the post that .1 and .2 are referred to as 991RS only, which makes it seem like the files being used are identical. If so, how can it work, on same cars with different spring rates?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Now, for DSC users who actually want the Normal mode to be another 5% softer or just want to try and see, we did make a calibration file that we named the "Tour" file. The only change on the Tour file is the Normal mode is made 5% softer than our DSC standard file. The Sport mode is unchanged from our DSC GT3/RS/GT2RS standard file.
This calibration file is available in the DSC Sport website for DSC users.
AndrewLakes (06-16-2023)
Old 04-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Rides nicer over bumps in Normal Mode. Its takes the "edge" off expansion joints and bumps on less than ideal pavement making the ride more smooth and composed.
I can attest to this; I had the DSC on my 997.2 GT3 and the improvement over the OEM PASM controller was very noticeable, the car was more "planted" and also "compliant" ...

I hated the OEM settings on my 991.1 GTS ... replacing the OEM with the v2 controller and installing the GT3 maps cured the worst of this, which I referred to as "porpoising" where the front rebound seemed to be more
aggressive than the rear ...

I waiting for TPC to get more v3's in stock and I'm going to install one in my '18 GT3 - long overdue ...
Tom@TPC Racing (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I can attest to this; I had the DSC on my 997.2 GT3 and the improvement over the OEM PASM controller was very noticeable, the car was more "planted" and also "compliant" ...

I hated the OEM settings on my 991.1 GTS ... replacing the OEM with the v2 controller and installing the GT3 maps cured the worst of this, which I referred to as "porpoising" where the front rebound seemed to be more
aggressive than the rear ...

I waiting for TPC to get more v3's in stock and I'm going to install one in my '18 GT3 - long overdue ...
Larry I can’t see where I can pm you...send me a pm if you can.

Last edited by mdrums; 04-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:09 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Larry I can’t see where I can pm you...send me a pm if you can....DSC related
I'm no longer an RL member ...
Old 04-13-2020, 11:18 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder75
I am tempted by this for sure (DSC). I have. 991.2 Gt3 rs and there isn’t a huge amount of feedback on same, or would seem the gains are marginal. Has anyone got relevant experience they could share?
For road comfort, the amount of improvement is less than that of a non-RS because the RS has almost double the front spring rate stiffness. The stiffer spring effect can't be removed with electronics but softer damper commands do make the ride nicer over bumps. This is noticeable.

For a race car driver, half a second a lap is big. Most of my weekend enthusiast customers report a second to two second improvement depending on track and skill level, the improvement is from car more stable near or at the limit.

Marginal is a relative term. I think with all things considering, a new DSC V3 is about half the cost of a set of tires, its a pretty reasonable deal.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 04-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by exacc
Hello, just curious, are the calibration files for a 991.1RS and a 991.2RS different or the same? It seems from the post that .1 and .2 are referred to as 991RS only, which makes it seem like the files being used are identical. If so, how can it work, on same cars with different spring rates?

Thanks!
The calibration files are the same. The factory Porsche Engineers did the job of pairing each model and each generation car with springs, dampers, and sway bars to achieve the performance level and feel they want. Basically, they engineered the suspension of each model car mechanically "from the tire up". To further enhance the suspension design on each model, DSC V3 controller using its proven algorithm to dynamically improve vehicle weight distribution to the driver's input "from the steering wheel down". So to answer more directly, each spring rate from the factory is "matched" to the dynamic range of each dampers. DSC operates within the dynamic range of each damper using them to their full potential.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
For road comfort, the amount of improvement is less than that of a non-RS because the RS has almost double the front spring rate stiffness. The stiffer spring effect can't be removed with electronics but softer damper commands do make the ride nicer over bumps. This is noticeable.

For a race car driver, half a second a lap is big. Most of my weekend enthusiast customers report a second to two second improvement depending on track and skill level, the improvement is from car more stable near or at the limit.

Marginal is a relative term. I think with all things considering, a new DSC V3 is about half the cost of a set of tires, its a pretty reasonable deal.
its probably the best value for money modification you can make IMO - certainly better than an engine tune or ctr exhaust replacement! and simple to install
Old 07-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing

So I installed the dsc last night after a long wait (customs). Initial impression was not good as the shocks seemed to be full hard. It was punishing.

I dug out the manual and had a look at the config and worked out how to update it. I zero’d the ride height and put the TOUR settings on.

It was much better but it is so marginal versus stock and I would hazard a guess the dsc is firmer than stock. Hard to believe after all I have read.

My car is Weissach Euro spec with OPF and the last of the 991’s. The damping is so good from factory my guess is it has been developed further than first batch cars.

The difference in ride quality between mags and normal wheels is much bigger compared with with dsc in or out.

I will try and take a further look at the settings and will contact dsc for some setup help.

I have a track day on Wednesday so will run with the box in for the morning then swap out to oem for the afternoon.

Doing the change is a complete nightmare with 918’s and factory cage so I may take the seat out next time around.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

You can't appreciate the DSC sport box until the car is being driven at its limits and run back to back testing. I found 0.6 secs at Palm Beach Raceway switching between the stock controller and the DSC Sport with their 2019 map for the GT3RS. I found a lot of extra time tuning the software to my preference (1.3 secs faster per lap compared to the stock unit).

DSC also allows you to have maps for street use, rain use, track use, it needs tailoring to individual use. I agree that the factory setup for shocks and springs is pretty good, but the DSC makes it even better.
The following 3 users liked this post by A/S:
bogey1 (07-05-2020), FogCitySF (07-05-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (07-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Dundon / DSC upgrade