Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991.2 Gt3 to 718 Clubsport (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1175205-991-2-gt3-to-718-clubsport.html)

Jim50 09-14-2020 06:25 PM

I purchased a 2019 GT3 last year to use as a track car and added half roll cage and harnesses. I also have a McLaren 600LT that I have tracked several times. Like others in this thread I decided to sell the GT3 and buy a 718 Clubsport Competition about 2 months ago. I have since had 4 days on two different tracks and love the car. The 600LT and GT3 are both extremely fast cars and after having a conversation about safety with a professional driver who was coaching me, I realized that what I was doing was crazy. At VIR I was making over 160 mph on back straight and it finally dawned on me that if something bad happened at that speed I would be in big trouble. I didn't use the GT3 on the street at all and the 600LT is faster and a lot more fun to drive on the street. So I sold the GT3 and retired the 600LT from the track and replace with the 718 CS. For me it was a no-brainer. Add $40K to what I got for the GT3 and get a new purpose built Porsche race car. I don't worry about some of the things I worried about before, i.e., wrecking (I still have track insurance), and love the rawness of the car. It may be slower than a GT3 on the straight, but it is twice the fun to drive. I plan to go to the track a lot over the next several years and this move just made the most sense for me. If you have a Porsche GT car that you primarily take to the track and don't drive much on the street and were trailering your car to the track anyway, you should make the move before the cars are no longer available. Would strongly recommend Geoff Isringhausen to assist you in your search. He was great to work with and found me a car in Sweden that had 350 miles and never raced. He handled everything and delivered it to my local shop for final inspection. .

bhf_clt 09-15-2020 02:44 PM

Took my new 718 out at the member day at Road Atlanta last Thursday. Had a blast. Now I see why just about everyone says that once you step into a race car you'll never want to go back to a street car. Definitely missing the RS torque coming out of turns 5 and 7, but I was able to get within 1.5s of my best time in the RS in just the first session. I have gobs more time to find as I test cornering speed limits, later-braking points, etc. Pretty sure it will eventually be possible to go flat-out through 12.

I'm really looking forward to learning the new platform. The handling is incredible. Another member day at RATL next week, under the lights in October, and up to VIR in October as well. Can't wait to drive the car at VIR.

Thanks again to all who have been so generous with their time - especially @alasorte .

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8ca260bdf1.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a83ae48e98.jpg

s996 09-15-2020 10:04 PM

I mirror the exact same ideas as above

I just went from a GT three RS to the 718 club sport with the help of Geoff isrenhousen.

My first drive was at road Atlanta this past weekend and I admit that I do miss the torque of the RS compared to this but rolling flat out through most of the esses is a whole different idea compared to what I used to drive. As you transition from driving a torque car to a full out race car there are lots of new things to learn.

Lots of time we’ll be found through the places that I never could use it in the street car and I feel much safer with a full cage.

I would recommend this move to anybody who can make it happen and Geoff will definitely assist.

CRex 09-15-2020 10:35 PM

Happy to be reading all this. Congrats and enjoy!!

One of the biggest advantages with a dedicated racecar is consistency. You won't have to worry about constantly changing hardware or mods etc. That way you're focusing on your own driving and enjoyment--ain't that what it's all about?

Know your hot tire pressures real well so you can relate to the car under comparable conditions. Then work to dial in the brake bias (which requires a good baseline re: tires and pressures).

Setup changes cost time. I'd want to make sure a given handling condition is not because of suboptimal tires or pressures before I go agro on the geometry :)

alasorte 09-16-2020 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by bhf_clt (Post 16907176)
Took my new 718 out at the member day at Road Atlanta last Thursday. Had a blast. Now I see why just about everyone says that once you step into a race car you'll never want to go back to a street car. Definitely missing the RS torque coming out of turns 5 and 7, but I was able to get within 1.5s of my best time in the RS in just the first session. I have gobs more time to find as I test cornering speed limits, later-braking points, etc. Pretty sure it will eventually be possible to go flat-out through 12.

I'm really looking forward to learning the new platform. The handling is incredible. Another member day at RATL next week, under the lights in October, and up to VIR in October as well. Can't wait to drive the car at VIR.

Thanks again to all who have been so generous with their time - especially @alasorte .

Brian, what an excellent start. Congrats!

I'm racing mine at Sebring this weekend with PBOC. Kinda looking forward to that.

BTW, is there a Clubsport-specific forum on Rennlist? There are several CS owners on this thread. We need a forum just for the CS.

bhf_clt 09-16-2020 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by alasorte (Post 16908336)
Brian, what an excellent start. Congrats!

I'm racing mine at Sebring this weekend with PBOC. Kinda looking forward to that.

BTW, is there a Clubsport-specific forum on Rennlist? There are several CS owners on this thread. We need a forum just for the CS.

Totally agree with this. Would be nice to have the ability to have different threads covering various topics.

Sword_of_the_Spirit 09-17-2020 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by CRex (Post 16908170)
Happy to be reading all this. Congrats and enjoy!!

One of the biggest advantages with a dedicated racecar is consistency. You won't have to worry about constantly changing hardware or mods etc. That way you're focusing on your own driving and enjoyment--ain't that what it's all about?

Know your hot tire pressures real well so you can relate to the car under comparable conditions. Then work to dial in the brake bias (which requires a good baseline re: tires and pressures).

Setup changes cost time. I'd want to make sure a given handling condition is not because of suboptimal tires or pressures before I go agro on the geometry :)

that’s huge. The development is nearly all done except that small niggles that suit each driver. PMS has it nice with the Cup’s and CS’.

second the safety. After a Laguna day, to ball up a car into 2 or after 7 would be a deal breaker....mainly for my Wife. I’m not sure about taking on 6 figure racer, but am looking hard into an early Cup or possibly a tarted up older D/E class 911.

Looking back, I was nuts for taking an Evo and another 911 multiple times without even a rear cage to RA back in the day. 1/5/Kink....the kink. Until something happens, it’s hypothetical. But it makes you wonder.

enjoy guys and hopefully the family rests easier knowing that you’re pretty well off whilst having fun.

kart driver 10-20-2020 02:14 PM

Here are the prices in Germany:

new cars
718 GT4 cs = $180K + VAT
911 cup 991.2 = $220K + VAT

used
911 cup 991.2 = $130K + VAT (engine rebuilt, fully operational)

If one is looking at trying the racing car, I would go with a used GT4 cs for half the price of the new one.

Trakdaym3 11-02-2020 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by kart driver (Post 16976149)
Here are the prices in Germany:

new cars
718 GT4 cs = $180K + VAT
911 cup 991.2 = $220K + VAT

used
911 cup 991.2 = $130K + VAT (engine rebuilt, fully operational)

If one is looking at trying the racing car, I would go with a used GT4 cs for half the price of the new one.

You do have a point, but the new 718 is much faster....by alot. I was going to get a 2016 CS but i know i would want to upgrade soon enough.

poison123 11-02-2020 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trakdaym3 (Post 17002568)
You do have a point, but the new 718 is much faster....by alot. I was going to get a 2016 CS but i know i would want to upgrade soon enough.

I've never seen any numbers, I doubt its that much faster that a 981.

alasorte 11-03-2020 10:46 AM

The Rennlist GT4 Clubsport Forum has arrived

Originally Posted by bhf_clt (Post 16909463)
Totally agree with this. Would be nice to have the ability to have different threads covering various topics.

Attention all GT4 Clubsport owners and fans, Rennlist has just opened a new Clubsport Section. Here’s the link to sign up:https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-clubsport-262/

ajw45 11-03-2020 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by poison123 (Post 17002573)

Right. 718cs engine = 981cs engine + cams + intake. Get the 981, can always add cams and intake if you want the extra juice or punch out the 981 to 4.5l

poison123 11-03-2020 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ajw45 (Post 17004566)
Right. 718cs engine = 981cs engine + cams + intake. Get the 981, can always add cams and intake if you want the extra juice or punch out the 981 to 4.5l

Gotcha my 981 has a Race Exhaust, Race Headers, GT3 Throttle Body, etc so I'm probably about even with the 718.

zedcat 11-03-2020 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by poison123 (Post 17002573)

Hi Poison, just for curiosity I checked the PCA club race at COTA results from 2/28-3/1/20. (I was there in the DE group). For PCA club racing the 981 is GTD1 and the 718 is GTD2.

Best lap times for sprint 1: GTD1= 2:25.6/ GTD2=2:25.6
Best lap times for sprint 2: GTD1= 2:25.9/ GTD2=2:23.7
Best lap times for enduro: GTD1= 2:26.2/ GTD2= 2:22.6

few observations- the GTD1 driver is very experienced at COTA, very consistent driver. I believe the GTD2 driver was still learning COTA. He posts here sometimes. I'm also uncertain on tire use. I think they were both on Pirelli DH but not sure if using new or used tires in the various races. Very small number of cars in each class, hopefully that will change! Anyway, thought it was interesting.

montoya 11-04-2020 12:13 AM

Here’s one:

https://www.isringhausen.com/Invento...x44mrsSmBfTU-Q