Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

458 VS 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:13 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Such a personal and subjective choice, I've personally grown to love the drama and sense of occasion that a Ferrari can bring compared to the more subdued but insanely capable Porsche GT models

If you are skewing more towards the Porsche side (the heart wants what it wants), I'd encourage a look at the 991.1 3RS or 991.2 GT3 as well as the 991.1 GT3. Explicitly just my opinion but most 458 seem to fall closer to that range and while 991.1 GT3 has the incredible warranty support from Porsche thanks to Rob & Co, I wouldn't have the time to deal with the potential headache that could arise from that gen (not that one can prevent something very similar happening to any car). .1 3RS looks insanely good and more "sense of occasion", and the .2 4.0 motor is sublime. In either case my .2 GT3 was PDK and I loved it, didn't really consider the MT option. When on it and downshifting with the PDK in sport mode, had fun imagining I was in a Cup car (click left paddle, WAP THUNK, rev match downshift with beautiful noises being made). Definitely also miss the can of marbles mechanical sound when puttering around (maybe MT has it too)

As kfm said, very hard to go wrong and envious position to be in considering one or the other!

Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

As others have mentioned from a price standpoint, I'd compare a 458 not with a 991.1 GT3, but with both a 991.2 GT3 or 991.1 RS.

1st question you have to ask yourself is, do you plan to track the car more than 1-2x a year, if so then you don't want the 458, because it will fall apart with track work compared to the Porsche GT cars.

If track work isn't a consideration, then the main question you have to ask yourself is 1- how much attention do you want/can live with while using your car? A Ferrari 458 gets far far more attention, and people are constantly taking pictures, always talking to you about it, literally everywhere you go, everyplace you stop, compared to a Porsche. You have to decide if you can live with that, and just how much of exhibitionist you are.

If you truly don't mind/relish the attention everywhere, all the time, and don't plan to track the car, then I'd get the 458. It's a more beautiful car, and a more special experience everytime you drive it. Otherwise, I'd get a manual 991.2 GT3 or a 991.1 RS depending on your transmission preferences/driving routes.
BTW, all of these cars are comfortable enough to daily, if that's part of your plan.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

991.1 or 991.2 doesn't matter. The cars drive so close to the same.

RS, different mission, that would compare to the speciale.

This is Tareks internal struggle: he's realized the 458 and various porsches are good cars.

Maybe that's why so many of us have multiple!

What he NEEDS is more garage space, not to pick one.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
991.1 or 991.2 doesn't matter. The cars drive so close to the same.

RS, different mission, that would compare to the speciale.

This is Tareks internal struggle: he's realized the 458 and various porsches are good cars.

Maybe that's why so many of us have multiple!

What he NEEDS is more garage space, not to pick one.
I should have mentioned to the folks here, i am a bit limited on garage space lol..458 barley fits! (excuse all the mess of the old air cooled 964 parts littering the garage & the shelf that is bowed & about to collapse onto the hood of the car)

Old 12-23-2019, 08:19 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The OP drove my GT3 , we had a great time comparing GT3 and 458 back to back. OP is a genuine car guy!

For some context this is my 4th Gt3 and 2nd 991Gt3 , also have a 991.2 Gt3 ..I had these cars from the manual days until now . Ferrari definitely has more drama and sense of occasion than GT3 , but I was a bit disappointed by the sound of it compared to my prior Ferrari's 430 Manual and Scud. This is not my first 458 test drive , I have significant seat time in these cars . Just like before it felt very synthetic or somewhat muffled , doesn't have that full on mechanical symphony (High pitch )of the older engines. The fast steering and loose feeling chassis further adds to the drama but on the canyons GT3 inspires more confidence than a 458.

GT3 lacks that mechanical feedback at shift especially at low speeds , but it has an audible pop (Up and Downshifts) which keeps it exciting. 458 especially the 2010 has a bit of mechanical (jolt ) on shift ..nothing compared to Scud but its better than Gt3 . Thats what OP was missing in the Gt3 drive.

For me GT3 with exhaust sounds more dynamic and unsyntheized pure mechanical sound across the rev range , its got typical Porsche sounds from 6 k on and then builds up to a high pitch / metallic noise to climax at 9K . 458 its basically the same noise but just louder until 9K and doesn't have the build up and dynamism of the older 430 engines.

If I never owned a Scud , this would have been an easy car to fall in love . Those who owned a scud know my issue ....you are screwed! I am really thinking of an F12 ...seems like that's the only proper modern Ferrari engine without all this turbo nonsense. End of the day you can't go wrong with either , depends on what you are expecting from the car . Really the best of the last NA engines!
The following users liked this post:
Tarek307 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:24 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

I was also thinking of adding one day 458 to my garage in addition to 991.2 gt3 MT. But the reality is that when you start thinking of 458 you end up thinking of 600LT in a year from now.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
I was also thinking of adding one day 458 to my garage in addition to 991.2 gt3 MT. But the reality is that when you start thinking of 458 you end up thinking of 600LT in a year from now.
yes that will happen I traded 458 for 675LT. 458 was still a special ride and the wife loved the Ferrari.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:02 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
yes that will happen I traded 458 for 675LT. 458 was still a special ride and the wife loved the Ferrari.
Ha, I've been trying to convince the wife why I need a 675LT in my life. She's partial to the 458, and the Mac doors completely embarrass her. I'm making headway though.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:05 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Yup another one of these threads, so excuse me while i ramble on & not even have a clear question or point at the end...

Now that price deltas are getting closer, you can basically buy a 458 for close to a 991.1GT3 price, a little more but close enough. Recently i bought a 458 after trying the 991.2 Manual GT3 (wasn't super overwhelmed to justify the .2 price)

Now considering a 991.1 PDK so test drove a couple of them lately and for some reason the PDK just seems "too perfect" & precise, maybe even a little too easy to operate, it feels as if its all 1 continuous gear..with the 458 DCT trans you feel the shift, while its smooth, there is still a little bit of a snap and drama on down shifts, which i'm not feeling with the PDK..i of course drove the cars in PDK sport, i'm also noticing that with the GT3 i'm having to dirve hard, and at much higher RPM's to get a "feel" out of the car, while the 458 is ok at lower speeds around town, you still get that sound and feel, i don't goto the track, however love the twisty canyons.

Little too much attention with the 458, and i'm a die hard Porsche guy, nothing like the 911 timeless shape with that flat 6 & the entire Porsche car culture..but then, that italian Mid engine V8 mistress just keeps on beckoning me & luring me in..

I am still trying to talk myself into a GT3, particularly a GT Silver 2015/2016 with full leather, PCCB & Buckets..

Would love to hear some thoughts on this, especially from people who considered both of these amazing automobiles.

Pic from last week in the canyons with the 458

Try a Turbo S..
Old 12-24-2019, 12:16 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vf430
The OP drove my GT3 , we had a great time comparing GT3 and 458 back to back. OP is a genuine car guy!

For some context this is my 4th Gt3 and 2nd 991Gt3 , also have a 991.2 Gt3 ..I had these cars from the manual days until now . Ferrari definitely has more drama and sense of occasion than GT3 , but I was a bit disappointed by the sound of it compared to my prior Ferrari's 430 Manual and Scud. This is not my first 458 test drive , I have significant seat time in these cars . Just like before it felt very synthetic or somewhat muffled , doesn't have that full on mechanical symphony (High pitch )of the older engines. The fast steering and loose feeling chassis further adds to the drama but on the canyons GT3 inspires more confidence than a 458.

GT3 lacks that mechanical feedback at shift especially at low speeds , but it has an audible pop (Up and Downshifts) which keeps it exciting. 458 especially the 2010 has a bit of mechanical (jolt ) on shift ..nothing compared to Scud but its better than Gt3 . Thats what OP was missing in the Gt3 drive.

For me GT3 with exhaust sounds more dynamic and unsyntheized pure mechanical sound across the rev range , its got typical Porsche sounds from 6 k on and then builds up to a high pitch / metallic noise to climax at 9K . 458 its basically the same noise but just louder until 9K and doesn't have the build up and dynamism of the older 430 engines.

If I never owned a Scud , this would have been an easy car to fall in love . Those who owned a scud know my issue ....you are screwed! I am really thinking of an F12 ...seems like that's the only proper modern Ferrari engine without all this turbo nonsense. End of the day you can't go wrong with either , depends on what you are expecting from the car . Really the best of the last NA engines!
Great to see you here, that was the funnest car test drive experience ever, we both really drove the heck out of each others cars and then spent an hour admiring them and talking about their pros & cons in the parking lot..as you see i'm still having the struggle and as spyerx says its more of an internal conflict with myself, the Porsche guy, loving & driving first the Manual 360 Modena for a year, and now the 458..i feel like i just want "OUT" but for no valid reason other than going back to what i know & feel like myself in.. PORSCHE... lol

So, next week or after if weather is good lets do that canyon run we were talking about, i'll text you..you drive my 458 & i'll drive your GT3 , i still haven't had the honor of driving one in the canyons.

The day we compared these beauties!
kfmcmahon (01-02-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 12:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

I think the only thing the 1.1 GT3 has over the 458 is the chassis.

Everything else the 458 is as good if not better than the 1.1 GT3.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:39 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think the only thing the 1.1 GT3 has over the 458 is the chassis.

Everything else the 458 is as good if not better than the 1.1 GT3.
Pretty much agree, i think i just need to spend a full day with a GT3 though, maybe canyon drive in one and make my final assessment of what works for me
Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The 458 is one of the few cars I’ve heard over and over again be called “best car of this decade” I think it’s a very special car, Prices on them seem to be creeping up as people want that naturally aspirated V8 vs all the new Turbo stuff, maybe you should enjoy it for a while then after that get a GT3, there are plenty of 458 and GT3 out there . I saw you sold your 6Speed Manual 360 you bought last year, now that was a car that’s going to be hard to come by again.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:28 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

IMHO, a car is only as special as it makes you feel. Sometimes it can be hard to put that into words. People are different, cars are different and everyone has personal experiences. You mentioned wanting out, likely because that's how you feel. For me, that really wouldn't need more explanation than out = change. The only tough part about changing cars is the impact to ones pocket. Otherwise, it is simply how it is. FWIW, I went from 997 to two Lambo's and now back to an RS. It was fun, no regrets, but the GT cars fit my personality best and therefore create a better personal experience. I could elaborate about other mechanical preferences but that really doesn't matter. I will own the car that provides the ultimate driving experience for me. Seems to me that is what you are searching for too. Good luck!
Tarek307 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 03:50 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you tried the 991.1 GT3 RS or a 430 Scud? From what you are saying I don't think any 991 GT3 will make you happy, especially since you already have had the ferrari ownership.

Quick Reply: 458 VS 991.1 GT3