Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB on a mostly track car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:37 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

gyroDisc steel rotors are a rotor/pad swap - no other equipment necessary - greatbrakes!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks again, guys! You are all awesome!
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 664 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Thanks for the input, all.

The best deal I've come across on a used 991.2 GT3 comes with PCCB's, hence the question. The PCCB option vs iron brakes don't seem to factor in deals on used cars nowadays. I'm gonna buy the car. When you switch to iron brakes, you only have to change the rotors, right? Not the whole system, rotors plus calipers?
As noted above, you just need to decide what to do with the OEM PCCB setup based on their condition. If they're still passable/usable, you have two options:
  1. Run them on the track until they are destroyed, and then replace with iron
  2. Set them aside and save them for when you sell the car
Regardless, if you need iron, be sure to check our AP Racing J Hook iron. They have proven to be the most durable option at any price. There are other slightly less expensive options, but none last as long, have the same pedigree, or are backed by the same level of customer service as ours. As an added bonus, they even look really cool! These fit with the OEM calipers and no other modifications. You bolt them on and go. We also have a full range of Ferodo Racing pads on-hand to mate up with our discs, and we can even burnish/bed-in the discs prior to delivering them to you. That eliminates the need to bed them in on the track and waste precious track time.

Front PCCB iron replacement (410mm)= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...1gt3PCCB-front

Rear PCCB iron replacement (390mm)= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...pccb-rear39032
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Perimeter (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:52 AM
311RS
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
I understand quoting MSRP prices to help make your point but shop around and you'll find actual prices far less on RL - $12k for new OEM rotors and pads all around.
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...cs-pads-2.html
For sure - but say we buy that set then what's left for the next person? A second hand set here and there will not help our case for swapping away from PCCB to Girodisc, etc.
Perimeter (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
why is the dealer saying the calipers needs to be replaced? Is this because the dust seals are toast from the heat or is there something else?
Dealerships have moved to a "remove/replace" system of service rather than a "repair" facility.
Follow the money

Originally Posted by 311RS
For sure - but say we buy that set then what's left for the next person? A second hand set here and there will not help our case for swapping away from PCCB to Girodisc, etc.
Seller has been supplying multiples for 7 months and continues..
That cross market sale brings OEM PCCBs into reality for US buyers.

I gotta ask, who is paying that $27k for OEM replacement brakes?
Nobody I assure you.
Once you get to half that number RacingBrake, Surface Transforms and others directly compete in that market and succeed.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:12 PM
asenna8
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

$120,000 banana art work

What is more expensive, the $120k Banana duct taped to a wall art work or Porsche PCCB's? LOL (Found on Instagram)

Randall
The following 3 users liked this post by asenna8:
Palting (12-17-2019), Perimeter (12-18-2019), PierreTT (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:18 PM
311RS
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Seller has been supplying multiples for 7 months and continues..
That cross market sale brings OEM PCCBs into reality for US buyers.

I gotta ask, who is paying that $27k for OEM replacement brakes?
Nobody I assure you.
Once you get to half that number RacingBrake, Surface Transforms and others directly compete in that market and succeed.
Certainly not us!! Even with our shop discount at Porsche Minneapolis it's still over $20k. Good to know about that seller - have seen the ad but have not followed to know there have been multiple sets. At $12k they make a good case for replacing with OEM PCCB rotors when ST is priced in the neighborhood (albeit with a program to refurbish them a few times).
Perimeter (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Dealerships have moved to a "remove/replace" system of service rather than a "repair" facility.
Follow the money
Yes I knew that was the case with dealers. Porsche and most manufacturers are training the techs to replace parts for any type of complaint or light instead of properly servicing the car or the part. This started about the time the labor rate went through the roof and when the waiting room at the dealer starts to rival a 5-star hotel. Gotta pay for that somehow.

I asked the question to get feedback from 311RS of why in 4k track miles the calipers were having an issue. Assumed it was the simple rebuild from the heat but wanted to hear if there was anything else they actually found.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:50 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Run CCB fearlessly, use proper pads to preserve the life of CCB and if ever need to renew the disc consider this affordable option.
Refurbished discs are guaranteed to work better and last longer than OE or your money back, same warranty as our Caliper Rebuild Kits which hundreds of Porsche owners have experienced and witnessed.

Upgrade or downgrade? you decide by doing your own research.

In fact that's why RB brake offer is so popular among Tesla M3 owners.
https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7606.htm

Old 12-17-2019, 04:04 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

The ceramic pucks can be replaced with titanium from Autoquest, no? As per the ST vs these PCCB Brembos, the ST run much cooler... this i will be measuring at my next track day to validate the promises.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
The ceramic pucks can be replaced with titanium from Autoquest, no? As per the ST vs these PCCB Brembos, the ST run much cooler... this i will be measuring at my next track day to validate the promises.
How do the ST achieve cooler running temps? Are they just more efficient at transferring the heat to the air? Because the amount of heat produced is a function of the amount of slowing the brakes perform (should be the same for any adequate braking system and the best ones should produce the most heat).
Old 12-17-2019, 05:26 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
How do the ST achieve cooler running temps? Are they just more efficient at transferring the heat to the air? Because the amount of heat produced is a function of the amount of slowing the brakes perform (should be the same for any adequate braking system and the best ones should produce the most heat).
Material, pad and most importantly airflow... this is what ive been told but will test. On average, we are talking 100 degrees vs brembo CCB, so really significant. These guys know their stuff though so i do trust them but looking for validation from my own tests at the track.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:41 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Iron and CCM are two totally different rotor material, other than lighter in weight, CCM rotor offers excellent dimensional stability, thus warp /crack that make an iron rotor un-serviceable is non-existence on CCM rotors, CCM rotor can also deliver highly consistent friction level and brake torque that an iron rotor can ever come close.

RB sintered brake pads are helping ZR1/Z28, Camaro ZL1, GT350, & Hellcat track racers running at their high confidence level w/o fearing of disc replacement. Our disc refurbishing program is your back up assurance in case refurbishing is necessary, all at minimal cost compare to CCB replacement from OE/dealers and downgrade to aftermarket iron brake.

Originally Posted by DDonohue
Sorry for such a stupid long post. If you have insomnia, here is a cure…

Note 7 - I will apologize to RB in advance - to me, the discs end up looking butt ugly. That's just my opinion. I cannot argue against their performance regardless of the appearance. At one point we cleared the cross drilled holes, but there was zero change in performance. I never had an "out-gassing" issue like I have experienced in a Camaro with stock CCMs. To me they felt every bit as good as PCCBs, but still different and maybe with a slightly lower friction level (more pedal effort)...stress maybe and also stress this is not a bad thing, just different. If anyone is on the fence about this system and asks me, I can recommend the RB CCM set-up. The parts supplied were very nicely made and finished, and fit straight out of the box with no modification. Our set-up was an odd one for sure, but Warren was very reactive and quick to respond. I can comfortably recommend without hesitation.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by 311RS
Exactly my point with ST rotors, say $13,000 for 4.
If you end up selling them after 2 years and 50 track days you are likely looking at fronts that can be refurbed another 2 or 3 times and rear rotors that can be refurbed another 4 times.
Everyone buying a used tracked car with PCCB treats it like it has ebola and assumes $25K in new rotors, but the ST rotors can be accurately depreciated through a quantifiable residual value.
PierreTT (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:58 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

From the head instructor at the Barber Porsche Experience; he stated that the wear rate is about 3:1, PCCB to iron.

For them similar cost, they do save labor and down time, but their parts/labor cost is substantially less than ours. The PTX GTS models I drove with PCCBs had excellent brakes, but then again, we weren't pushing to the limits, close but not like an experienced driver would push.

Quick Reply: PCCB on a mostly track car.