Sponsored by:

Impact of Taycan on GT Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019 | 09:38 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Let's hope the Taycan does not fail.

Because if it does, it'll portend the end of PAG. And with it all things GT.
Agree.

However, isn’t the entire point of EV to enable middle and lower class to save money on not having to buy gas and oil and “save” the environment? ALOT more middle and lower class buyers than wealthy buyers able to dump over $100k on a virtue signaling ev luxury sedan.

Seems like they’re pointing at the wrong target.

Old 12-12-2019 | 09:56 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by pitt911
I think Taycan failure if it happens will certainly affect Porsche as a company , and I will not be surprised if they increase production of popular models such as GT cars to compensate ...
they made a big bet on EV cars , unfortunately in my opinion they chose the wrong size car.. Big sedans that are over 100 k in price are not selling well across all brands
If I was to choose , I would have chosen a small SUV EV car like the Macan . They sell well , and the potential buyer group is much larger
Agree 100% - I think they missed on the Taycan - I'm an EV person and Sedan person, but the Taycan is just too big, has odd things like a gearbox etc. I ended up picking up a fully optioned Jaguar i-Pace. Closest description I can give it is a EV Macan Turbo. My wife had a Macan Turbo with all the options ticked, both are pretty similar though I think the i-Pace is a bit closer to sports sedan than the Macan Turbo was.

The i-Pace has similar interior comfort and space to our 2018 Cayenne Hybrid, but exterior size of the Macan. That's what an EV should deliver, Porsche missed on that with the Taycan as well.
Old 12-12-2019 | 02:20 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Let's hope the Taycan does not fail.

Because if it does, it'll portend the end of PAG. And with it all things GT.
x2...

I was thinking the opposite point for the OP where I'd imagine selling more Taycans will enable more GT cars and ICE 911s due to offsetting under EU/emission regulations

Initial reviews on YouTube seem to be pretty positive on the Taycan now that they are slowly trickling out. I'm warming up to it, first true competitor to Tesla and hoping it does well
Old 12-12-2019 | 02:49 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
x2...

I was thinking the opposite point for the OP where I'd imagine selling more Taycans will enable more GT cars and ICE 911s due to offsetting under EU/emission regulations

Initial reviews on YouTube seem to be pretty positive on the Taycan now that they are slowly trickling out. I'm warming up to it, first true competitor to Tesla and hoping it does well
I think it's a duality: Selling less might force increases in volume on products that sell and selling more taycans will also enable re-investments in existing product lines too.
Old 12-12-2019 | 04:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waxer
Agree.

However, isn’t the entire point of EV to enable middle and lower class to save money on not having to buy gas and oil and “save” the environment? ALOT more middle and lower class buyers than wealthy buyers able to dump over $100k on a virtue signaling ev luxury sedan.

Not quite.

I think the appeal of EV (or HEV) trickles up all the way to the boojie, Hermes toting, pinkie-raised tea slurping, wannabe rich.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (12-14-2019)
Old 12-12-2019 | 04:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Not quite.

I think the appeal of EV (or HEV) trickles up all the way to the boojie, Hermes toting, pinkie-raised tea slurping, wannabe rich.
Lol. You for “virtue signaling”
Old 12-13-2019 | 05:08 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

The only impact on GT cars Taycan may have is technology development. Some of it may end up in future GT cars
This investment will also be reusable, for Cayenne, Audis, VW...
Old 12-13-2019 | 06:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
taycan, no. the electric 911 and it's gt/ rs version. yep. can't wait. really.
Me too, then I can stop buying new GT cars.
Old 12-14-2019 | 02:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

I think you have to look at in the round - the Taycan is only one product in the VAG EV line up. However, having said that there is no sign of the Taycan being a failure and all information to-date points in the opposite direction e.g. full order book and great reviews.

In regard to the GT division it will continue on doing its own thing with the addition of more niche cars e.g. the new Speedster and target more margin per unit through unique products. A well worn path for all high-end manufacturers.
Old 12-14-2019 | 03:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

taycan is great
I drove it
it's FASTER THAN 918
pls you all order one
I need you all to sell the old gas powered GT cars so I can hoard them.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019 | 03:57 AM
Dot23RS
Pro

In this Porsche bubble it’s seems like there are a lot of 911’s built but in reality there are only ~3K 997 GT cars for all of NA and 10-11k 991GT cars ever built. To clarify this means all models of the GT series for an entire generation and two countries, in total. Compare that against something else “rare” and “cool” or at least “Special” like F150 Raptor in which they’re building 25,000+ units of every single year.
Old 12-14-2019 | 04:00 AM
Dot23RS
Pro

Originally Posted by Waxer
Agree.

🔥
nailed it.
Old 12-14-2019 | 06:59 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

There’s nothing cheap with electric cars minus your Honda hybrids. All other brands target stay home soccer mom with cash save the environment, but the untold secret less gas sales means less taxes for road repair. Sit on a infrastructure board and this is a problem our elected officials know its a problem but kicking the can. Do the math for ever electronic car sold, and they buy zero gas thats zero dollars for roads and infrastructure not as the gas tax goes to the feds designated for roads. There’s discussions now on the congressional infrastructure committee to charge a road user fee, but lots of objectors to approve on the hill. It’s a real problem for roads and bridges as most are federal owned, so the way out is to sell back to the states. Sorry for the scroller .....my civic duty today(:
Old 12-14-2019 | 08:42 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3
[Disclaimer] Not a value thead. With the recent news of Taycan range only being about 200 miles and the high price point, would porsche increase GT car production even further if taycan is a flop in sales? The EV bet seems monumental - curious how company stability might be impacted if it doesn't do well.
GT cars are effected by the electric wave in that GT cars are the only gas engines one should condone buying (for the limited time even GT cars are IC), as we better realize how misguided, corrupt, and harmful the carbon experiment has been. All the lifestyle boats going forward should be electric. I think of a gas commuter car and it's just silly now. I personally will never buy a new model gas engine again, unless it's a GT car that cant be resisted, in the last hurrah era. The rest of the automotive purchases can be antique gas engines, and electric vehicles going forward. At least for me. The Taycan's success or failure is moot to the longevity of GT, or any gas platform in that the road is not much longer. The music has ended and it's time to grab a seat.

Last edited by Ceepe; 12-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2019 | 10:59 AM
Wudee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ceepe
GT cars are effected by the electric wave in that GT cars are the only gas engines one should condone buying (for the limited time even GT cars are IC), as we better realize how misguided, corrupt, and harmful the carbon experiment has been. All the lifestyle boats going forward should be electric. I think of a gas commuter car and it's just silly now. I personally will never buy a new model gas engine again, unless it's a GT car that cant be resisted, in the last hurrah era. The rest of the automotive purchases can be antique gas engines, and electric vehicles going forward. At least for me. The Taycan's success or failure is moot to the longevity of GT, or any gas platform in that the road is not much longer. The music has ended and it's time to grab a seat.
Until we accept that there is not enough resources to build all the batteries required for EVs. This is just an intermediate phase where firms are handily playing the green card and enrich themselves whilst not solving anything

Quick Reply: Impact of Taycan on GT Cars