Sponsored by:

Impact of Taycan on GT Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Impact of Taycan on GT Cars

[Disclaimer] Not a value thead. With the recent news of Taycan range only being about 200 miles and the high price point, would porsche increase GT car production even further if taycan is a flop in sales? The EV bet seems monumental - curious how company stability might be impacted if it doesn't do well.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

no
Old 12-11-2019, 05:44 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I highly doubt that GT cars will be affected by Taycan's success or failure. The Taycan is like a buyable technology demonstrator, and its core technology like the 800-volt battery, charging, and drivetrain technology will be shared with (and is probably subsidized by) the rest of the VW group. My guess is that VW Group overall is following Tesla's example of really ramping their EV strategy by producing a performance and luxury oriented halo car (the Taycan) followed by cheaper and more mass market versions of the same underlying tech through the rest of the brand portfolio.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThEnder:
AlexCeres (12-11-2019), SterlingatBOM (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:58 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

So you're asking if the GT division would increase production to offset revenue, should the Taycan fail?
Old 12-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by C5driver
So you're asking if the GT division would increase production to offset revenue, should the Taycan fail?
Yes, given Porsche invested a lot in infra for Taycan production. Wonder if they would shift some of these production lines back to GT or if they would instead double down on other EV models (at more accessible price points closer to Boxster levels)
Old 12-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by ThEnder
I highly doubt that GT cars will be affected by Taycan's success or failure. The Taycan is like a buyable technology demonstrator, and its core technology like the 800-volt battery, charging, and drivetrain technology will be shared with (and is probably subsidized by) the rest of the VW group. My guess is that VW Group overall is following Tesla's example of really ramping their EV strategy by producing a performance and luxury oriented halo car (the Taycan) followed by cheaper and more mass market versions of the same underlying tech through the rest of the brand portfolio.
I wish it were more of a proof of concept but it they've invested a lot of cash into this
Old 12-11-2019, 06:51 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 591 Posts

I think Taycan failure if it happens will certainly affect Porsche as a company , and I will not be surprised if they increase production of popular models such as GT cars to compensate ...
they made a big bet on EV cars , unfortunately in my opinion they chose the wrong size car.. Big sedans that are over 100 k in price are not selling well across all brands
If I was to choose , I would have chosen a small SUV EV car like the Macan . They sell well , and the potential buyer group is much larger
Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalgt3
I wish it were more of a proof of concept but it they've invested a lot of cash into this
I would argue that they invested a lot in the platform and architecture. The Taycan paves the way for future EV products from Porsche and Audi who already collaborate on the Macan, Cayenne, and Panamera.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:22 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

I think they'll do just fine. Most likely top brass adopted the mantra of Gene Kranz whereby: "Failure is not an option."
Old 12-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

taycan, no. the electric 911 and it's gt/ rs version. yep. can't wait. really.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:38 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Porsche's fleet average was something like 183g/km for CO2 last year. The fleet average requirement is 95g/km for 2021 and the penalty is 95 euros for every g/km over that limit (for every single car sold including the ones below the limit since they were included in the average)

Basically, Porsche will have to pay penalties of 95 euros per g over the limit for every car sold when they're above that average and they almost definitely will be. The current model would have them paying a 8360 euros for every car they've sold. Obviously the Taycan is the way they're trying to heavily reduce their fleet average but even still the GT cars will have an "opportunity cost / fine" built in to the price of about 10,000 euros per car until they get their consumption below the average.

I don't think the fine applies to cars outside of Europe so the fun might continue in the USA for a bit longer. Theoretically it could continue indefinitely if ICE cars become a small, enthusiast share of an otherwise efficient EV market. ...but as the virtue-signaling eco ***** move away from ICE products you can bet they'll probably try to regulate that you have to too.

It's clearly beneficial to GT car enthusiasts for the Taycan to be successful so it's too bad it appears to be such an overpriced turd that Porsche isn't trying to sell in large numbers via a fair price.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:07 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Yes, given Porsche invested a lot in infra for Taycan production. Wonder if they would shift some of these production lines back to GT or if they would instead double down on other EV models (at more accessible price points closer to Boxster levels)
no, I don’t see it having any effect on much of anything. The 911 will stay ice, like they’ve already said, and the Macan will get an EV trim in parallel with the ice trim ... like they’ve already said.

the only effect I could see is delaying a BEV cayman. But you’ll need to define “failure” as something other than “you don’t like it” because they already have 2 years worth of orders. There are 30,000 deposits in Europe alone. There is absolutely zero indication they will have any trouble selling every unit built for some time. They’re estimating it will have paid for itself and these investments you’re concerned about by 2023. They can probably afford a few more such “failures”
Old 12-11-2019, 09:47 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,027 Posts

If the Taycan fails, Porsche is in big trouble. They bet the farm on EV in terms of infrastructure and R&D. They bet the future of the company.

I don't think it will be a flop though. Time will tell. I'm not buying one nor do I have any interest at all.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

As a Porsche and Tesla guy I was really looking forward to replacing my performance model 3 with the Taycan. But it ended up being too big, too much like a Panamera, too expensive, too short on range and lacking the Supercharging network. If they electrified the Macan I would have made some sacrifices.
The following users liked this post:
Vintage72 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
no, I don’t see it having any effect on much of anything. The 911 will stay ice, like they’ve already said, and the Macan will get an EV trim in parallel with the ice trim ... like they’ve already said.

the only effect I could see is delaying a BEV cayman. But you’ll need to define “failure” as something other than “you don’t like it” because they already have 2 years worth of orders. There are 30,000 deposits in Europe alone. There is absolutely zero indication they will have any trouble selling every unit built for some time. They’re estimating it will have paid for itself and these investments you’re concerned about by 2023. They can probably afford a few more such “failures”
Are these 2 years worth of orders pre or post revealing the MSRP though?

Quick Reply: Impact of Taycan on GT Cars