Sponsored by:

Diminished value appraisal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 06:50 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Diminished value appraisal

Now I know why I dread driving my gt3on RI roads. My MA registered 2018 Macan S got rear ended today at least 10k damage. Going for DV claim so appreciate any suggestions as to a reputable RI SE MA adjuster
thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 07:11 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts

Was this a hit and run?

I would think you just hand over all the information to your insurance agent and let the ball roll.

Who is your insurance company?

Are you a PCNA member? I would just start by asking someone in your club for recommended body shops and start getting two or three estimates.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts

No hit and run, guy has insurance, CNA. Is my insurer. Yes. Will ask in my PCA club for any names
Old 11-22-2019, 11:13 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

www.collisionclaims.com
Old 11-23-2019, 12:44 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

If I'm reading it right, the guy who hit you has the same insurance. Yes?

That's the most difficult situation. A few years ago my 1,300 mile new Carrera S was rear ended while I was stopped at a crosswalk at 40 mph. After waiving off the ambulance you don't know how pissed I was when the guy pulled out his insurance and sure enough it was Allstate. My insurance. I fought with an attorney for over a year and never got diminished value. Pushed the motor into the firewall, broke both dynamic motor mounts and a PDK that was never the same. Perhaps a different state other than being in Kalifornia will help you. I will pray.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:55 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

insurance up here that will pay dv use a new formula (half of repair) so for you 10k repair and 5k diminished value. I would say more like 10% of value of vehicle for a 10k on a Macan.
BTW I am an appraiser.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Find a diminished value attorney if you want to try and get all the money that you can. Otherwise I would probably just start talks with the other guys insurance and see what you can get. But I am guessing $5-7k sounds reasonable on a Macan S. Maybe a bit more since I am sure it is going to be a $5-10k hit when you go to trade it in or sell it privately.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:59 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
If I'm reading it right, the guy who hit you has the same insurance. Yes?

That's the most difficult situation. A few years ago my 1,300 mile new Carrera S was rear ended while I was stopped at a crosswalk at 40 mph. After waiving off the ambulance you don't know how pissed I was when the guy pulled out his insurance and sure enough it was Allstate. My insurance. I fought with an attorney for over a year and never got diminished value. Pushed the motor into the firewall, broke both dynamic motor mounts and a PDK that was never the same. Perhaps a different state other than being in Kalifornia will help you. I will pray.
I heard there was no DV here in the great state of California? I'm relatively new here so I could be mistaken. When you go after DV, who pays?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:25 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi Sam.

Rarely the other driver. Your insurance or the other guys. Unfortunately for me they were one of the same.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:57 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I heard there was no DV here in the great state of California? I'm relatively new here so I could be mistaken. When you go after DV, who pays?
There was in 2018 at least. I haven't seen anything new that indicates otherwise. Almost always will require initiating a lawsuit. Counterparty's insurance will cut you and your attorney a check if you and your attorney decide to settle, of which your attorney takes a nice cut.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

I had some one run into the back of my 2015 C2S when it was a year old. Ten thousand in damages and I got $10,000 diminished value from their Nationwide insurance. The agent had never done a DV claim, didn’t know what to do, called my dealer and asked them and they said it was worth $10,000 less now with the repair history. I traded it in on a newTurbo S and they gave me the current wholesale trade in value without any DV. When they ran the carfax rear bumper damage was all that showed up...? Good luck.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 PM
TuonoR
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
Now I know why I dread driving my gt3on RI roads. My MA registered 2018 Macan S got rear ended today at least 10k damage. Going for DV claim so appreciate any suggestions as to a reputable RI SE MA adjuster
thanks
Sorry to hear it. Hope everyone is okay. Diminished value is state specific because insurance is regulated at that level so check around with local appraisers and lawyers. I've found what goes in some states (like caps or damage multipliers) is completely irrelevant in others.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Originally Posted by shewu
There was in 2018 at least. I haven't seen anything new that indicates otherwise. Almost always will require initiating a lawsuit. Counterparty's insurance will cut you and your attorney a check if you and your attorney decide to settle, of which your attorney takes a nice cut.
Diminished value has been upheld in the california courts but some typically reasonable insurance companies like State Farm will fight tooth and nail not to pay a DV claim. Loss of use is also allowed and can exceed DV in some cases. It really depends on the insurer and in my experience very few attorneys have handled enough DV cases to give relevant advice. I'm not a lawyer but have settled 2 satisfactorily without initiating lawsuits.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:55 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TuonoR
Sorry to hear it. Hope everyone is okay. Diminished value is state specific because insurance is regulated at that level so check around with local appraisers and lawyers. I've found what goes in some states (like caps or damage multipliers) is completely irrelevant in others.

Diminished value has been upheld in the california courts but some typically reasonable insurance companies like State Farm will fight tooth and nail not to pay a DV claim. Loss of use is also allowed and can exceed DV in some cases. It really depends on the insurer and in my experience very few attorneys have handled enough DV cases to give relevant advice. I'm not a lawyer but have settled 2 satisfactorily without initiating lawsuits.
+1 to local (same-state) DV appraiser
Add AAA to the list of tooth to nail fighters.
+1 Loss of use exceeding DV: sometimes you need to wait weeks for parts to show up, not to mention the cost of renting a comparable automobile (check Enterprise exotics, e.g.). Insurance companies will also fight tooth to nail and say that your car is "basic transportation" and will try to get away with compensating you for ~$100/day.

Quick Reply: Diminished value appraisal