991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine misfiring, bunch of codes, help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019 | 04:10 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Default Engine misfiring, bunch of codes, help?

I have a 2014 GT3 that had the engine replaced in 2018 under warranty at 38k miles. Just today I went to pick it up from being detailed and the car is in limp mode, throwing all sorts of codes, engine sounds rough as hell, and car can't be driven over ~17mph. When the car is started up the message says "Engine control fault" in yellow, then switches to a red "operating under reduced power - car can be driven" type message. It's being towed to the dealer for diagnostics, but maybe someone here is familiar with these codes and can offer some input. Doesn't look good at first glance but I"m not an expert. This is a G series engine: Anyone know what this might be? Going to need engine #3?

Link to codes showing - https://imgur.com/E066GDd
Old 11-14-2019 | 04:39 PM
tstafford
Race Car

How old is the battery?
Old 11-14-2019 | 04:44 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tstafford
How old is the battery?
I'd have to check the records but it doesn't seem like the battery would be causing the engine to run rough?
Old 11-14-2019 | 06:04 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Ignition Coil?
Old 11-14-2019 | 06:20 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

I’d check if the alternator is working or not - if it cannot supply enough electricity to the engine, the spark from the coils will be too weak and you will get misfire.

check the coils is also a good suggestion.

you also have camshaft sensor DTC, it could also affect the combustion on your engine and cause your engine to run roughly an ne the root cause of misfire if these camshaft DTC appeared before the misfire DTC.

Other usual suspects : sparkplug, intake leakage, make sure the oil cap is tight, is there any sensor disconnected, any purge pipe not connected etc.
Old 11-14-2019 | 06:20 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Holdens
Ignition Coil?
Hopefully something simple like that. The engine only has like 3-4k miles on it, so it seems like it shouldn't have that type of issue but you never know.
Old 11-14-2019 | 06:23 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Watson
I’d check if the alternator is working or not - if it cannot supply enough electricity to the engine, the spark from the coils will be too weak and you will get misfire.

check the coils is also a good suggestion.

you also have camshaft sensor DTC, it could also affect the combustion on your engine and cause your engine to run roughly an ne the root cause of misfire if these camshaft DTC appeared before the misfire DTC.

Other usual suspects : sparkplug, intake leakage, make sure the oil cap is tight, is there any sensor disconnected, any purge pipe not connected etc.
Thanks, that makes sense. The engine starts right up though, I'd think a weak alternator or battery would have a cranking problem. Guess we'll have to see what the dealer says.
Old 11-14-2019 | 06:45 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Ignition Coil?
A single coil failure will not cause a massive rough running engine. It would have to be more than one, which the statistical odds of multiple coils failing at the same time would seem to be low.

The codes seem to implicate cylinders 3 & 5, which I think are not on the same bank. So it could be something common to either the fuel or electrical spark or maybe a bad sensor (i.e., flywheel).

The shop should be able to nail it down pretty quick.

Old 11-14-2019 | 06:48 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

This is what my C2S sounded like with a bad coil

Old 11-14-2019 | 07:08 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

This is what my C2S sounded like with a bad coil

https://youtu.be/yk2Q4epwsBQ

It does sound similar to this. Anyone know if the coils are covered as part of the engine warranty?
Old 11-14-2019 | 07:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Anyone know if the coils are covered as part of the engine warranty?
Pretty sure plugs are not, since scheduled maintenance item. But I don’t think there is a scheduled replacement of coils, in which case I’d think part of warranty.
Old 11-14-2019 | 08:08 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
Pretty sure plugs are not, since scheduled maintenance item. But I don’t think there is a scheduled replacement of coils, in which case I’d think part of warranty.
The engine was just replaced 3-4k miles ago so it would seem weird for spark plugs to not last that long. I see that the manual says 12k miles or every 12 months, seems like a really short interval time wise? Does everyone here replace them every year or just based on 12k intervals? Engine replacement was right about a year ago.
Old 11-14-2019 | 08:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
The engine was just replaced 3-4k miles ago so it would seem weird for spark plugs to not last that long. I see that the manual says 12k miles or every 12 months, seems like a really short interval time wise? Does everyone here replace them every year or just based on 12k intervals? Engine replacement was right about a year ago.
Yes, did my own plug change at 1 yr, but probably not your problem
Old 11-14-2019 | 10:23 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Dealer said it’s probably a combination of low gas, car sitting for a week at Detailer, and weak battery. Should have better answer tomorrow. Thanks everyone
Old 11-14-2019 | 10:29 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrantG
Plugs can be covered. My plugs were falling apart and were replaced under warranty approx a year after being replaced. They were OEM plugs and the ceramic section was separating from the plug and causing misfires. And they covered it even though an independent replaced the plugs.

The coils are definitely under warranty. I had one replaced when it went bad right before the plugs started falling apart.

Quick Reply: Engine misfiring, bunch of codes, help?