Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.1 GT3RS Nightmare Clicking noise from wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019 | 11:24 PM
lobogt3
Cruisin'

Default .1 GT3RS Nightmare Clicking noise from wheel!

Hello Guys.

I have been reading threads on here for years! Great forum I love it. I have reached a point in my situation where I have no other place to turn. And I thought you guys may be able to help.
Hopping I am posting this on the right thread that reaches the right ppl.

I have owned a few GT cars. Absolutely love them.
That being said I purchased a .1RS from Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta about 3 months ago. CPO car nice options and I absolutely love it.
Now I have been building cars for years. Mostly Old Chevy’s. I am deep in that game. Full builds done by me top to bottom.

So this RS I own. Has pccb brakes. Bucket seats. Ect.
8k miles.
I live in Miami. Had the car shipped to me. Right after i put 1k miles on my RS. I noticed that it started making a clicking noise coming from the front wheels(or hubs bearings ect.)
I had someone drive the car slow while I walked next to it. Makes a clicking noise on the Pass wheel. Almost sounds like what a car with loose spokes on wire wheels would make.

that sounded strange. And got progressively worse.

So I sent it to Bradley at Champion Porsche. Did my other cars. I feel this may have been my mistake.
not so much him but maybe the dealer.

This is when the Circus starts.... First he calls and asks about my service records. I say “its a CPO” wtf you mean. Then he asks if I have had any tires changed.
I immediately went on the defense.
I i said NO. And why?
He says “ well the balance weights are not oem porsche”.
So I told him no, have not touched them. And provided him with photos that proved the Car was sitting at the Dealer with those weights, On that exact tire.
They retreated a bit and then went on to explain that usually when cars come with this sound it’s because the owners damaged the Center Lock Hubs and usually have to pay 12k to replace them. WTF.

Thats not my problem. I bought a CPO and payed good money!

So they had the car 11 days and “serviced “ the Hubs.
all while my Factory warranty ran out(not the cpo).
my car came in 9 days before the Factory warranty ended.

when they gave me the car back. Same Noise.

they picked it back up. It sat there 3 weeks.
were I played ping pong over the phone between Brad at Champion, Chuck Armstrong (service director at Porsche Atlanta) and PCNA.

Just got it back today. They “troubleshooted the car and diagnostics direct with Germany” nothing changed.

SAME NOISE. Now I know these cars have there own personalities and make all sorts of sounds. But this sounds like play in the hub or some sort of bearing sound. Sounds like flex of sort.

Besides the fact that Both Brad at Champion and Chuck at Perimeter gave me a sort of runaround for 3 weeks (5 total)
when I called PCNA today. They said that the notes written between them and Champion and Perimeter say that Germany says that on the 2015 RS. This is normal.
Now I have never heard a normal sound that gets progressively worse but whatever.

Attached is the service invoice where nowhere does it state that this was a normal sound.

question is Has Anyone else with PCCB heard this ??

I just feel a but duped. Champion says I have to send it to Atlanta. Atlanta says that Champion should just bill Warranty and fix if. PCNA tells me its “Normal”.

I have a large social media following of 1million on IG and YT and I almost feel like burning them all down and putting them on blast.

however I am a car guy and love my cars. And understand that **** happens.

Is this all Normal. Anyone had this sound.????or runaround.

i appreciate any info. To much to write. Thank you all.

The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (12-25-2020)
Old 11-11-2019 | 11:53 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Make a video of the sound and post it here.

I had a clicking sound on my 991.1 Turbo S and my .1 GT3RS, I still have Turbo S. The sound was annoying to me, and I don't get annoyed by sounds that easy (my cars have modified exhausts, stiffer suspensions, etc.). Both cars clicking sound coming from a front corner (don't recall which one).

In my case, I first swap the front wheels left/right, and the sound stayed in the same corner.

I then moved the CL nut to the opposite corner, and the sound stayed in the same corner.

Then I swapped the little nipples (5 of them) to the other side, re-greased them with the Castrol Optimoly, and the sound just vanished. My next step was going to be to swap the front PCCB rotors, as I thought it could be the floating hardware springs that attach the PCCB rotors to the hat.

You can still try other Porsche dealers, or even better a race shop with lots of experience with the 991 GT3RS, I recommend
AutoQuest and Orbit Racing, in that order, top level.

For Porsche service, PM me, I can get you in touch with my SA and my technician. They have worked all my cars for years now.
Williamsf1 (04-08-2021)
Old 11-12-2019 | 12:02 AM
lobogt3
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by A/S

I had a clicking sound on my 991.1 Turbo S and my .1 GT3RS, I still have Turbo S. The sound was annoying to me, and I don't get annoyed by sounds that easy (my cars have modified exhausts, stiffer suspensions, etc.). Both cars clicking sound coming from a front corner (don't recall which one).

In my case, I first swap the front wheels left/right, and the sound stayed in the same corner.

I then moved the CL nut to the opposite corner, and the sound stayed in the same corner.

Then I swapped the little nipples (5 of them) to the other side, re-greased them with the Castrol Optimoly, and the sound just vanished. My next step was going to be to swap the front PCCB rotors, as I thought it could be the floating hardware springs that attach the PCCB rotors to the hat.

You can still try other Porsche dealers, or even better a race shop with lots of experience with the 991 GT3RS, I recommend

For Porsche service, PM me, I can get you in touch with my SA and my technician. They have worked all my cars for years now.
I will record it asap.

At this point I’m sure I can fix it myself.
But since I have warranty and fully covered. I figured I would let them fix it and keep it all copacetic with the Warranty.
I just read a few ppl on here that had a similar issue.
Just crazy that they couldn’t just either A. Fix it B. Tell me on the first week its normal.
Lol they kept it 5 weeks to say that BS.
Local race guy was a Thought I had. Or better SA
Williamsf1 (04-08-2021)
Old 11-12-2019 | 12:29 AM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

I have noticed same, and have PCCB's. Didn't think much of it until saw this post, however, every time I hear, it doesn't seem right... Seems to be getting louder. Will take to local dealer shortly for check.
Old 11-12-2019 | 02:25 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

The centerlocks on my 997 GT3 made a lot of clicking noises when I first bought it. Careful disassembly, cleaning, and relubricaiton of the centerlock system seemed to fix all the issues.
Old 11-12-2019 | 03:23 PM
islandsnow
Racer

have the same noise but believe it's coming from the right rear, i only hear it when i'm close to the wall driving so the noise bounce off the wall and into the cabin.
Old 11-16-2019 | 04:41 PM
CT944
Drifting

I had a 2002 530i BMW that made the same noise. Turned out the lug nuts I used (with my new BBS wheels) were just a bit too long and were hitting on the emergency brake rear spring on driver side rear. Replaced those lugs and all was good and no noise. I must have taken the wheel on and off and took caliper and rotor off 5 times before I realized the issue. Hope this helps as example of little things, even though not CL.
Old 11-18-2019 | 09:38 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Originally Posted by CT944
I had a 2002 530i BMW that made the same noise. Turned out the lug nuts I used (with my new BBS wheels) were just a bit too long and were hitting on the emergency brake rear spring on driver side rear. Replaced those lugs and all was good and no noise. I must have taken the wheel on and off and took caliper and rotor off 5 times before I realized the issue. Hope this helps as example of little things, even though not CL.

Can you help me out? I'm having trouble picturing what you describe. How can lug nuts (typically on the outside of the wheel) hit any part of the brake stuff (typically on the inside of the wheel)???

Old 11-18-2019 | 10:07 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

He meant bolts not nuts.
Old 03-19-2021 | 12:14 AM
Williamsf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S

I've got this clicking sound!

I replaced all the wheel bearings at a large expense!!! still clicking....

Can someone explain the lubrication of the red nipples?

I have fully rebuilt the wheel nuts is there any form of lubrication of the locking mech?

what am I missing???
Old 03-20-2021 | 07:13 PM
Williamsf1
Rennlist Member

anyone have a picture of what they are putting the lube on with the nipples???
NBoost (05-24-2021)
Old 03-23-2021 | 10:35 AM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

I get a fair amount of "wheel noise" at low speeds coming from the front. I just had the ride height adjusted and alignment. The noise was there before, but everything was inspected and lubed. Seems to disappear over 25mph.
Old 03-23-2021 | 10:37 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Copper grease on the inside hubs of the wheels is a traditional way of removing clicking on many forms of vehicles.

I have had this on many different makes in the past, not saying this is the cure for a GT3 but I certainly found that applying a layer of it on the inside of the wheel where it makes contact with the hub removed all previous clicking.
catdog2 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-23-2021 | 11:01 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

I had a 997.2 GT3..........clicking noise especially when turning. No PCCB. I was also a Champion customer.
What a pain in the *** it was. In my case it was the rotors that had to be replaced..........in the end end after multiple visits all rotors were replaced.
Old 03-26-2021 | 04:32 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I had a 997.2 GT3..........clicking noise especially when turning. No PCCB. I was also a Champion customer.
What a pain in the *** it was. In my case it was the rotors that had to be replaced..........in the end end after multiple visits all rotors were replaced.
champion sounds like a mess.
The following 2 users liked this post by User 81423:
Booth9999 (05-24-2021), usrodeo4 (04-09-2021)

Quick Reply: .1 GT3RS Nightmare Clicking noise from wheel!