Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Speedster exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 12:20 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 986 Likes on 427 Posts

No, US cars does NOT have the particular filter installed, as it is not required by federal law. Instead, we have "baffles" to mimic the back pressure of the particulate filter so that Porsche doesn't need to offer two types of tunes between US and Euro cars.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Are USA Speedster cars coming with a Particulate Filter and Cat?

Old 11-14-2019, 01:31 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
No, US cars does NOT have the particular filter installed, as it is not required by federal law. Instead, we have "baffles" to mimic the back pressure of the particulate filter so that Porsche doesn't need to offer two types of tunes between US and Euro cars.
Hah, Learn something new.

So my question to the JCR team, do these baffles that mimic the particulate filters take away from exhaust volume ?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Shop techs at my local Porsche dealer think that the speedster is definitely not nearly as "howly" as the others...
Old 11-14-2019, 03:40 PM
unotaz
Drifting

For sure, when you put in baffles, it disrupts the air flow which in turns have a dampening effect on sound. I'm just waiting for the some of the bigger names (eg. Akrapovic, GMG, etc) to come out with their exhaust solutions before I make my final decision.
The following users liked this post:
gmgracing (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:05 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEOFEW
Hah, Learn something new.

So my question to the JCR team, do these baffles that mimic the particulate filters take away from exhaust volume ?
Absolutely, the new OPF cars in our testing are between 3/5dB quieter than their equivalent 991.2 GT3 RS counterpart. Porsche have developed the matrix in the US cars to mimic the behaviour of the OPF, why they didn’t just run the OPF itself I suppose is probably a question of cost cutting as it’s not required by regulation.

For sure, when you put in baffles, it disrupts the air flow which in turns have a dampening effect on sound. I'm just waiting for the some of the bigger names (eg. Akrapovic, GMG, etc) to come out with their exhaust solutions before I make my final decision.
Look forward to hearing from you soon

​​​​​​​JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 11-15-2019, 08:19 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 449 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamzarm
Hi guys,im looking for a aftermarket exhaust for my 991 speedster. as my car has the European exhaust which sounds very muted compared to my GT3RS even when that had the stock exhaust.

Any suggestions ?
As promised

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
The following users liked this post:
fjpdds (05-08-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Hamzarm
Track Day

Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ECU tune

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
We have both Silenced and Non Silenced options available now, thread linked below with a ton more info.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...speedster.html

Parts are available to order now

JCR OPF RACE PIPES

Happy to help with any questions you may have

JC

would we require to retune the ECU when changing the exhaust on these new ITB cars with particulate filter ?

Old 01-02-2020, 01:24 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Come on now, don't keep us waiting! Where is the titanium system? I hope you make that allows the factory tip to be kept on. I like the OEM appearance, but with a much better sound, just like the GMG exhaust for my Carrera GT!

Originally Posted by gmgracing
As promised

Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi guys,im looking for a aftermarket exhaust for my 991 speedster. as my car has the European exhaust which sounds very muted compared to my GT3RS even when that had the stock exhaust.

Any suggestions ?
The Speedster exhaust sounds muted?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Great shots, Thx for sharing
I like the blue tones
Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
The particulate filter acts as a pretty efficient silencer in its own right, with that in mind and in combination with the latest emissions regs pretty much all late generation cars, including GT will be very quiet from factory.

We have the silencer replacements available now, we had two cars on track testing all day yesterday gathering a huge amount of data

We’re currently part way through development on our Inconel 625 manifold / header replacement which deletes the OPF entirely and replaces the factory cat with a high flow 200cel race cat.

No CEL and no need to flash the ECU. Direct replacement, less than half the weight of the factory headers and a good amount of sound and performance improvement!

Well ahead of the curve on this one. We also have new 718 GT4 and Spyder in too..

JC
Old 01-02-2020, 01:49 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Yes due to the baffles (US cars)/particulate filter. Cars will only get quieter from here on forward.

Originally Posted by Perimeter
The Speedster exhaust sounds muted?
Old 01-02-2020, 03:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Yes due to the baffles (US cars)/particulate filter. Cars will only get quieter from here on forward.
Unotaz, do you find that it's possible also due to the whole folded hood structure blocking engine sound? in a gt3 coupe you get more echo chamber.. in speedster engine and exhaust sound far away? I read that somewhere, haven't driven one yet though
Old 01-02-2020, 04:06 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

would we require to retune the ECU when changing the exhaust on these new ITB cars with particulate filter ?
No tune required everything is direct replacement and all parts included. Simply install and enjoy

JC
Old 01-02-2020, 05:09 PM
unotaz
Drifting

I only sat in my friend's Speedster for about 15mins, so I don't have a lot of seat time in the Speedster yet. Mine won't be here until end of March.

Having said that, I can tell you first hand, with the top up, it's really quiet. With the top down, the sound is much better but it's still not loud enough for my taste. The engine in the Speedster does sound a bit different than the 991.2 GT3, which in turn, sounds different (slightly lower pitched) than the engine in my 911R.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Unotaz, do you find that it's possible also due to the whole folded hood structure blocking engine sound? in a gt3 coupe you get more echo chamber.. in speedster engine and exhaust sound far away? I read that somewhere, haven't driven one yet though
Old 04-15-2020, 08:01 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 449 Likes on 267 Posts

Better late than never right?! Here it comes!! GMG Racing Porsche 991 Speedster Exhaust System!

Full video coming soon, but for now, enjoy this teaser!