Sponsored by:

GT3RS 2016 both TPMS and parking Brake fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 12:13 AM
Shamir Udi
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GT3RS 2016 both TPMS and parking Brake fault

Both TPMS and Parking brake error faults.

Hospitalized the car at Freemont Porsche.

Thought the RS will be solid.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:35 AM
John Belk
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamir Udi
Both TPMS and Parking brake error faults.

Hospitalized the car at Freemont Porsche.

Thought the RS will be solid.
Do you believe the two happened simultaneously? Seems suspect to have the parking brake and TPMS to fail at the same time and/or be related.
My understanding is there have been 991 software updates for the parking brake control unit, your dealership should validate you have the latest version.
The TPMS sensors are possibly 5 years old and may have reached their service life...?
Again, the two failures are probably coincidental, I’d bet a beverage on it..
Staying tuned as I have a 16 RS too...and knock on wood it has been “solid.”
JB
The following users liked this post:
Shamir Udi (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Shamir Udi
Advanced

I think its totally coincidental. As a software engineer, I can tell you that in case of software bug (especially for 4y old car) the parking brake unit malfunction should have been happening before.

Somehow Porsche's quality control is in question here (IMHO).

Hopefully ill know more details tomorrow, the car is there from Thursday while they start working on it only on Friday afternoon. They promise to have it ready by tomorrow but I doubt.

Luckily its CPO till 2021.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Check your battery level, I know this is out in Left Field but sometimes low voltage levels cause issues that seem unrelated
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Shamir Udi
Advanced

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Check your battery level, I know this is out in Left Field but sometimes low voltage levels cause issues that seem unrelated
I've asked to replace the battery (its 4y old car).

My statistics Is rather lousy 50/50 of my Porsches had faulted *bought cars supposedly in mint conditions) :
2016 GT3RS: Fault
2016 GT3: No-Fault
2015 GT3: Engine Fault
2017 Carrera: No-Fault

Porsche's reliability is not at best.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:46 PM
John Belk
Racer

I'll just say that dealership owners typically don't make their money on the front end....and that's probably true for most manufactures. Drive by "you name the dealership" and the bays will be filled with new cars...and they're not just receiving oil changes. Hoping your RS issues end up being minor...JB
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Shamir Udi
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Belk
I'll just say that dealership owners typically don't make their money on the front end....and that's probably true for most manufactures. Drive by "you name the dealership" and the bays will be filled with new cars...and they're not just receiving oil changes. Hoping your RS issues end up being minor...JB
Probably, they haven't figured the TPMS issue yet. They did fix the issue of the break, now left:

1. Service (replacing belt)
2. New battery
3. Rear tires

here go 5k lol
Old 11-04-2019, 05:14 PM
John Belk
Racer

Ha.... This is where I share my... "just be glad you don't own a Ferrari." Ask me how I know... :-/ Sometimes its just the cost of ownership...but it sure as heck beats the alternative...of boredom.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Shamir Udi
Advanced

Ha,

I would rather measure dust particle entropy in the atmosphere or even do some bayesian calculation to measure the next big penalty from Porsche in order to break my boredom.

While it is a really fun car to drive it is very disappointing how fragile and actually not that reliable the GT3RS is. Ferrari? never owned (nor drove) but heard they are even worse and owning them is a nightmare
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 140 Posts

Have them check plug on parking brake switch under dash. Mine was not properly connected and caused faults and ultimately did not allow me to disengage brake.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:55 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamir Udi
it is very disappointing how fragile and actually not that reliable the GT3RS is
I would hardly consider the RS to be "fragile", but best of luck in diagnosing the faults!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:06 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

Hey there, think we all can relate that it’s frustrating to have an issue with any car, including one with a pedigree that Porsche carries. Of course no car is immune to error, which is why they come with a warranty for X period of time. It’s been my experience that the robust nature of Porsche, e.g. GT reliability, has a lot to do with its capabilities when pushed around a track repeatedly compared to its competitors. I still believe that core engineering is sound. However, as these cars continue to evolve, integrating more technology, inherently it opens the door for error. You have CPO, you’re covered. The TPMS will get sorted, car serviced and you’ll be ready to enjoy.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by John Belk
Ha.... This is where I share my... "just be glad you don't own a Ferrari." Ask me how I know... :-/ Sometimes its just the cost of ownership...but it sure as heck beats the alternative...of boredom.
Nailed it - I'm guessing either a SuperFast2 transmission actuator or a CCB/ PCCB rotor needing replacement were the source of your pain.....although those are not the only two areas where 5 figure cardiac sticker shock could come into play...
Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Shamir Udi
Advanced

First, I agree that a lot of it is emotional, also this car is second hand and was one of the first GT3 RS landed in the country and was probably driven hard.
However, not sure its the brand or the service, in my case they haven't figure out why the TPMS error accrues. TPMS? like seriously.

The car is CPO'd that's true (lucky me) but in general, the entire process is a mess and takes all the air and fun of it (just by thinking about the next failure).

Driven and owned 911's before, btw drove GT-R for more than a month (was EPIC but that's diff subject) but this seems really lousy.

Thanks for the feedback. will keep you all updated as the car is diagnosed for the past 4 days without any luck with the TPMS.

Quick Reply: GT3RS 2016 both TPMS and parking Brake fault